Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:10 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,530,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've attended Mass with people who came straight from the fields where they'd been picking crops in the hot sun. (Backbreaking, dirty work.) All of them Hispanic and poor.

Is how you dress for church important? Hmmmm....To those people attending church was important.
The Hispanics around here mainly work in retail, trades, hospitality, service, and business. Most of the agricultural work is done by seasonal workers that leave when the work is done. Our new pastor is starting an outreach to them, but the majority don't come to our church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
If you were invited to the White House to meet with the President how would you dress ?

Who deserves more respect than the President ?

Isn't modest apparel respectful apparel - 1st Timothy 2 v 9

Isn't a humble person not showy but modest in grooming - Micah 6 v 8

Old 01-28-2014, 12:33 PM

811 posts, read 810,693 times
don't dress like a slob but don't over do it

a nice dress for the gals , a nice pair of khakis and polo shirt for the guys
The only time I see a lot of people wearing a suit at church is to a funeral/wedding

Old 01-28-2014, 12:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I cannot stomach sloppy people in church. I believe in the dress for success philosophy. My son went to a Catholic prep school and he had to wear a coat and tie all the time. To this day he still dresses properly at all times.

People will treat you according to how you are dressed. if you dress like a bum some people may assume you are a bum. The best Sunday clothing is a must for church and a sign of deep respect for the Lord.

The Lord could care less what you wear to church, it is what is in your heart and soul that the Lord cares about not what cloth you use to cover that heart and soul.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:39 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,935,404 times
- How I dress all the time is important.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If you were invited to the White House to meet with the President how would you dress ?

Who deserves more respect than the President ?
Matthew, you and I don't often agree, but we do in this case. I always try to dress appropriately for the occasion, and IMO, God deserves at least as much respect from me as does somebody getting married or being honored for some special achievement or, as you said, the President of the United States. While I don't believe God would hold it against me if I were to dress the same way when I go to worship Him as I would dress to go out for pizza with friends, He is most definitely worthy of the best I have to give -- in virtually every regard, including my dress. I don't dress my best to impress Him or anybody in my congregation. I dress my best to show Him the honor and respect He deserves.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
It only bothers me when people seem to 'dress-down' for church. We attended one church where many of the young people looked like they had simply rolled out of bed and grabbed the first 'piece of cloth' they could reach.
(If they were, for example, going to the beach after church, they would likely go home first and change into something a little less casual).

If one does not dress up for anything (school, work, dinner, etc), then, by all means, don't engage in a pretense by dressing-up for church. However, if one dresses appropriately for other things, then ?What is the point, of making a point out of NOT dressing-up for church?"

Old 01-28-2014, 01:25 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The Lord could care less what you wear to church, it is what is in your heart and soul that the Lord cares about not what cloth you use to cover that heart and soul.
Wow, if God could care less, then why does the Bible say to dress in modesty ?

Sure non-Christians are welcome to worship, but Christians set a modest example for the non-Christians.
-James 2 vs 2 - 6

Who deserves more respect the President or the Queen or God ?

Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM

- When one's dress code is a distraction in any circumstance.
There's an under lying problem.

It took years for me to have an awareness of what modest meant.
I was not raised in a family that had such values.

I had to reevaluate myself to God.
And it took time for Him to teach me about who I am to Him.
Pray for others...

Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM

On the other hand.

If you go out on a date?

Would you dress differently?

Is being the body of Christ together not as important to you than a person you would date?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity