Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,621,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post
How have I argued when I've done nothing but ask questions? Let's be respectful. I have considered what you said. That's why I have more questions.

I want to know how those prophesies got into the Bible. Who knew enough to put them there & who must have possessed that 'TRUTH', along with the truth needed for the other dozens of books that make up the Bible? We know it didn't fall from the sky!

It seems all who believe the Bible is the written Word of God, should be on the same page, as far as it's correct interpretation. The fact is that of the many different Christian faiths (close to 40,000) disagree on a number of things. Why? Why would God give us a Book that is believed to be absolute truth, when there are so many different interpretations & disagreements among His followers? Who or what is the earthly keeper of the one truth (since there can only be one truth)?
Too many people come onto this forum simply to ridicule the Bible and to discredit it, and aren't actually interested in answers to the questions that they ask. With that in mind I told you that if you fall into that category, to not waste my time.

You asked, ''By what authority do you believe the Bible is the Word of God?'' My answer in post #12 was, ''For one thing, the fulfilled prophecies recorded in the Bible which can be historically verified as having been fulfilled.'' I then gave some specific prophecies which can be checked historically.

Your reply in post #14, totally ignored what I said about checking HISTORY to see if certain prophecies which can be verified as having been fulfilled, were in fact fulfilled. Instead, you implied that I was using the Bible to prove the Bible and therefore using circular reasoning. That raised a red flag regarding your motives. Using history to verify whether prophecy was fulfilled is not using the Bible to prove the Bible and is not circular reasoning.

You ask how those prophesies got into the Bible, and who knew enough to put them there, and who possessed that truth? I told you. The answer is God. Only God can make such exacting prophecies. God is the divine author of the Bible and used human writers to record His word in writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 AM

21 posts, read 23,513 times
I'm not gonna lie, I have picked and chose what I choose to believe due to the misconceived ideas in the Bible and how it really makes no sense. I like to try to believe the concepts about God, and less on the explanation or commentary man gives on God. Like I like to believe God is generally good, all knowing, all powerful. What I don't believe is the reasoning that he damns people to hell, or that he answers every prayer or even that he will deliver you from your troubles because it has been very apparent to me that that last accusation is not accurate.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 600 times
Exclamation The Prophecies

I believe it is truly gods words because of the prophecies of WW3 RFID ship and in Deuteronomy 28 were it talks about so called negros being slaves in american

Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM

1,030 posts, read 843,546 times
If you want one easy answer it is because God's Holy Spirit has confirmed it to me.

I also base it on the tradition of my faith and the testimony of my elders in the faith.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:56 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,476,068 times
Quote:
H.
It seems all who believe the Bible is the written Word of God, should be on the same page, as far as it's correct interpretation. The fact is that of the many different Christian faiths (close to 40,000) disagree on a number of things. Why? Why would God give us a Book that is believed to be absolute truth, when there are so many different interpretations & disagreements among His followers? Who or what is the earthly keeper of the one truth (since there can only be one truth)?
Hi,

Here is the problem.

While believers should agree they don't all do so. The enemy who opposes God, Satan, has used his own deceivers to turn people from a correct understanding. In addition there are those who like some of what they hear but not all of it, so they follow only teachers who say what they want to hear. A correct understanding requires: prayer, study, teachers who truly value the Bible as God's word, looking at how the Bible actually i8nterprets itself rather than relying on man's interpretations. If one is truly seeking God, His spirit will aid your search. It will not "reveal" any understanding that contradicts scripture, rather it will aid you in understanding scripture. The level of understanding will depend on your sincerity, effort an acceptance (allowing for a need to change if a deeper understanding reveals an error on our part). Many get such revelation and do not want to accept it. Then their understanding ends and they can even go backwards back to where they were before seeking. They also become enamored of men who speak as they wish and tell them their course is right. This is one of the main reasons why so many denominations exist. Each follows man, not God, while claiming to follow God ... their way.

God gave us that book so those who want to listen and please Him can see what is necessary while those who don't miss the deeper points and follow man, or Satan's servants, who masquerade as Ministers of God. That is why Jesus in Matt 7 said the the majority (many) who have a belief in God, are not known by him. It is only the "few" who even find the correct path and then they must decide to walk it.

KJV Matt 7: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

KJV att 7:

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Claiming faith and Jesus as Lord is far different than having the works/fruit of that faith, that show the claim is true.

So many fit.

2 Timothy 4:3

King James Version (KJV)

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Old 03-21-2014, 12:03 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,996,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The issue is that some folks need a point of reference. Many decide to choose the bible because over the years charismatic preachers preach with the bible in hand saying that it is the word of God.

Before long the Bible becomes a very powerful sacred book. Hence the term bibliolatry:

Many fail to realize that it is possible to be a theist without worshiping Scripture.
So am I correct in stating: "this your opinion of the Scriptures?"

God has told us in Mal. 3:10, “Prove Me now herewith…”

Isaiah tells us in chapter 46

9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Paul tells us to “Prove all things; hold fast that which is good” (I Thes. 5:21)

Psa. 119 tells us how God feels about His Word:

2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.

9 ¶ BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
10 ¶ With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
11 ¶ Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
12 ¶ Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.
13 ¶ With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.
14 I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

Here is a link about Psa. 119

https://bible.org/seriespage/psalm-1...E2%80%99s-word

Here's and excerpt from the article [emphasis mine]:

We don’t study the Bible to become Bible scholars. Nor do we study it simply to learn and follow its moral precepts, although we should do that. We study the Bible to seek God Himself (v. 2). The Word of God brings us into spiritual life (John 3:5; James 1:18; 1 Pet. 1:23) and sustains us in that life when our hearts grow cold. Since God is the author of life itself, His Word has life-giving power, both to bring the spiritually dead person to life and to renew the believer.

You insist, that one who wants to know God better and be obedient to His commands, "worships" the Bible. However, I worship the Father/Christ who is the author of the Scriptures. And I study His Word to please my Heavenly Father, to learn how to please Him/Christ, and to be renewed in my spirit.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:14 PM

1,030 posts, read 843,546 times
Quote:
Gabriel, the first thing you must realize is that all who claim to be Christians are not! Everyone who claims to be honest are not! Everyone who claims to understand scripture do not! As for "40,000" different Christian faiths, that is a straw man used a lot it seems. If you took the time to look into it you would find 39,000 all have the same Christian faith but just have different names for their church or group of churches. I don't know if the numbers are accurate but hopefully you get the idea. WE can all follow the same Christ and the same Apostle teaching without belonging to the same man made organization.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,450,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
...that time is not now, just coming!

Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,476,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
...that time is not now, just coming!
It came in the 1st century and has gotten progressively worse.

NIV 2 Corinthians 11:12 And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about.
13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ.
14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.
15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve

ASV 1 John 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that would lead you astray.

ASV Revelation 2:20 But I have this against thee, that thou sufferest the woman Jezebel, who calleth herself a prophetess; and she teacheth and seduceth my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed to idols.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,574,270 times
Why I choose to believe the Bible-Dr. Voddie Baucham

A lot of great responses in this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity