Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 08:08 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am glad you guys finally agree with rituals!

Thanks to all for understanding these issues.

The same can be said about confession. If someone has done something really awful there is nothing wrong with confessing to a priest or a Protestant minister. The Catholic Church is not really that different from the Protestant religions.
Why would one confess to a Protestant "Minister" any more than to a priest? there is nothing special about either.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Why would one confess to a Protestant "Minister" any more than to a priest? there is nothing special about either.
You are welcomed to be 100% silent about whatever sins or crimes you have committed. Just raise a prayer in private and ask God to be forgiven.

This is the easy way out, I get that. And since you are born again you can sin a lot because you are already saved. What a great deal!!

You miss the human condition. Those that fail sometimes learn something by verbalizing their failure. However, I assume others prefer to be mute and just say a mental prayer. And I guess it works!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are welcomed to be 100% silent about whatever sins or crimes you have committed. Just raise a prayer in private and ask God to be forgiven.

This is the easy way out, I get that. And since you are born again you can sin a lot because you are already saved. What a great deal!!

You miss the human condition. Those that fail sometimes learn something by verbalizing their failure. However, I assume others prefer to be mute and just say a mental prayer. And I guess it works!
Julian, the quote was to confess sins to each other. I have endorsed the practice of mutual accountability. It doesn't fit your concepts of having a priest to do all that, but priests are really not necessary6 for it to happen. Come out of your box into the wide world of faith practice.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:29 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Nothing special?? Sure there is!! They have this rockin shirt collar:

How many people you know have one of those?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

Yer RIGHT! I gotta GET one!!!!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 AM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:
Yer RIGHT! I gotta GET one!!!!
I want one of them funny hats so I can say I am a pope too!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:17 AM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:
Julian, the quote was to confess sins to each other. I have endorsed the practice of mutual accountability. It doesn't fit your concepts of having a priest to do all that, but priests are really not necessary6 for it to happen. Come out of your box into the wide world of faith practice.
I notice you use the term "box". I have always felt it is much easier to go into a box and not see who you are talking to and sharing your sin in secret rather than confessing them to others. It's a way to hide from your sin rather than face a fellow Christian and share it with them as scripture tells us to.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

In a debate the person losing the argument often tries to make a joke to somehow look better. Nice try!

Here is a Protestant copy-kat minister:

Old 04-27-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
I notice you use the term "box". I have always felt it is much easier to go into a box and not see who you are talking to and sharing your sin in secret rather than confessing them to others. It's a way to hide from your sin rather than face a fellow Christian and share it with them as scripture tells us to.
God never proposed public humiliation.

I am glad you agree with the concept of confession. You are making significant progress.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Another one making progress. Great post! I will rep you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.