Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

I have always thought that the bible was pretty clear about divorce. If you get divorced other than for infidelity, you cannot remarry or you are committing adultery. However many churches have come up with some interpretation to say that divorce is ok. Where does this come from? Is it just ignoring the bible to fit popular opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 PM

336 posts, read 844,738 times
Exactly And To Keep The Flock In The Church. I Asked Once When I Belonged To A Fundamental Church ,why The Elders And Deacons Were Allowed To Serve In That Capacity Being They Were Mostly Divorced. The Answer, "because There Wouldn't Be Anyone Here To Serve."

Old 01-09-2008, 07:21 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
Exactly And To Keep The Flock In The Church. I Asked Once When I Belonged To A Fundamental Church ,why The Elders And Deacons Were Allowed To Serve In That Capacity Being They Were Mostly Divorced. The Answer, "because There Wouldn't Be Anyone Here To Serve."

Old 01-09-2008, 10:28 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
Infidelity and desertion are reasons for divorce, and those can be taken rather liberally. If your spouse is not living their vows daily, cherishing, adoring, esteeming, and honoring, is this not desertion over a period of years? And if their priority is friends, job, car, hobbies, putting all else first, is their consuming love considered adultery over a similar period of time?
These are broad generalizations, of course, but some persons live on both sides of these arguments, having it done to them and making the other issues a priority, and these circumstances would broadly be considered desertion and adultery. This is suitable in a contemporary context, at the very least.
These same issues are applicable to abuse, domestic violence, etc. Reconciliation should be tried at many costs, but not for the loss of life or personal integrity (physical injury, bones breaking, etc). Some may not agree, but this has proven enlightening for many.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:27 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
Infidelity and desertion are reasons for divorce...
Outside of that, scripture says not that we shouldn't divorce but that we shouldn't remarry if we do. (Not that divorce is a first choice but in an abusive situation sometimes it HAS to be.)

Last edited by Alpha8207; 01-10-2008 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: removed personal remarks

Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Jesus drove the moneychangers out of the temple with a whip....

Old 01-10-2008, 01:49 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Default Divorce ... the unforgivable sin?

The issue of divorce has turned to an issue of legalism.

What sin is not forgivable? The woman at the well, the Samaritan woman...She had mutiple husbands, five in fact... and was living with a man.
Yes to divorce is sin... but it is forgivable. When God forgives that sin, it is gone, forgotten, thrown to the depths of the sea, as far as the east is from the west. God does not keep a record of forgiven sin, man does, but not God. How many times do we forgive? 3 or 4... maybe 5 like the woman at the well? Jesus tells Peter (us)... 7 times 70.

Granting a divorce or allowing divorce is another matter. There is such a thing as "Biblical divorce". IMO... where there is "immorality" as defined by scripture... I believe there is no sin for divorcing. Not all divorces that are allowed, or granted in a Christian setting, give authority to re-marry.

This can be a very controversal topic. The Holy Spirit must guide us where scripture is silent.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:55 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
1 Tim 3 and Titus 1 are the requirements for Decons and Elders. The consideration for qualification is "a husband of one wife". "One wife" means not having multiple wives, it is wrongly interpreted as "married only once".

If he is a widower or divorced (Biblically) he may serve.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:10 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The issue of divorce has turned to an issue of legalism.

What sin is not forgivable? The woman at the well, the Samaritan woman...She had mutiple husbands, five in fact... and was living with a man.
Yes to divorce is sin... but it is forgivable.
Yes... in a sense it's not the divorce that's the sin, it would be if it would give cause for adultery. Someone who is living in a state of adultery could hardly expect to be under God's grace, or expect to be "forgiven."
Quote:
This can be a very controversal topic. The Holy Spirit must guide us where scripture is silent.
I agree. It's not cut and dried... there are many different situations and each needs to be interpreted with the Holy Spirit's leading.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
When asked about divorce, Jesus was pretty clear in his answer. How do churches justify their acceptance of divorce and remarriage for apparently invalid reasons (i.e. "I got tired of him" or "I found someone younger and hotter")? I have never heard a church say that it was wrong, most do not discuss the issue at all. Some clearly indicate that it is ok.

I always thought that this was a difficult situation. If someone gets divorced just because they tire of each other for example and then remarry, it seems that they are committing adultery. However as someone pointed out, like all sins, this is a forgivable sin. We all sin whether is be adultery, gossip, lying, idolizing, whatever. But once you re-marry, are you continually committing adultery? If so, is it forgivable if you have no intention of stopping or even trying to stop? On the other hand, you have made vows before God in your new marriage. You should not break those vows. It is a mess it seems.

It also seems that our loving God would not want people to be together if they hate each other, or to be apart if they love each other. He cannot possible want someone to stay married to an abusive person, but if they leave does he want them to refrain from re-marrying? (Given statistical information maybe that is a good idea. abused spouses often marry one abuser after another. Maybe they should stop getting married. Many of God's rules are made to protect us from our own stupidity.). It is obvious that He wants us to take our time and make the right choice to begin with. Perhaps we need to learn that it is not all about our personal happiness. If we make a commitment, maybe we are supposed to be responsible for that commitment come what may?

I like my solution. Marry one person and stay there. I am happy with my choice. But not everyone is that lucky, or maybe not everyone is as committed. It is hard to say. Maybe God wants you to be true to your commitment even if it makes you unhappy. I do not think that God promises us happiness on earth anywhere in the Bible.

It would be nice to say that there is a difference between an abusive situation and a divorce for frivolous reasons. But that is not in the Bible.

Many people seem to think that marriage vows mean "for as long as I remain interested in you and do not think that I can find someone better" and some churches seem to support that by saying that any and all divorce and remarriage is ok. I think that they simply want to avoid being unpopular, but how can you change what Jesus said just because it is unpopular?

Wouldn't any church agree that it is wrong to divorce and remarry because you find someone else better looking?
I am hoping that someone from one of the pro-divorce churches will happen along and explain this. I may even attend one. I do not know, but I have never heard a satisfactory answer.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 01-10-2008 at 02:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity