Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times

Advertisements

[quote=yhwhshalomjr;2244724]Okay this is something that I found,
I want to get to the bottom of this once and for all...this link
http://www.studylight.org/enc/isb/view.cgi?number=T5398

speaking about the" lake of fire" as being the second death after the judgement(Great White Throne?) is separate from Gehenna/Hell/Hades/Sheol(the grave)

Matthew 10:28- says not to "fear those that can kill the body but rather fear those that are able to destroy both soul and body in hell"

DIRECTIONS TO THE APOSTLES. 10:16-42
Our Lord warned his disciples to prepare for persecution. They were to avoid all things which gave advantage to their enemies, all meddling with worldly or political concerns, all appearance of evil or selfishness, and all underhand measures. Christ foretold troubles, not only that the troubles might not be a surprise, but that they might confirm their faith. He tells them what they should suffer, and from whom. Thus Christ has dealt fairly and faithfully with us, in telling us the worst we can meet with in his service; and he would have us deal so with ourselves, in sitting down and counting the cost. Persecutors are worse than beasts, in that they prey upon those of their own kind. The strongest bonds of love and duty, have often been broken through from enmity against Christ. Sufferings from friends and relations are very grievous; nothing cuts more. It appears plainly, that all who will live godly in Christ Jesus must suffer persecution; and we must expect to enter into the kingdom of God through many tribulations. With these predictions of trouble, are counsels and comforts for a time of trial. The disciples of Christ are hated and persecuted as serpents, and their ruin is sought, and they need the serpent's wisdom. Be ye harmless as doves. Not only, do nobody any hurt, but bear nobody any ill-will. Prudent care there must be, but not an anxious, perplexing thought; let this care be cast upon God. The disciples of Christ must think more how to do well, than how to speak well. In case of great peril, the disciples of Christ may go out of the way of danger, though they must not go out of the way of duty. No sinful, unlawful means may be used to escape; for then it is not a door of God's opening. The fear of man brings a snare, a perplexing snare, that disturbs our peace; an entangling snare, by which we are drawn into sin; and, therefore, it must be striven and prayed against. Tribulation, distress, and persecution cannot take away God's love to them, or theirs to him. Fear Him, who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. They must deliver their message publicly, for all are deeply concerned in the doctrine of the gospel. The whole counsel of God must be made known,
—Matthew Henry Concise ("yes I'm doing my faithful Matthew Henry")
What is this about?

Acts 2:27- Because thou will not see my soul in hell; neither will thine suffer thou Holy One to see corruption.

PETER'S ADDRESS TO THE JEWS: PART 2. 2:22-36

From this gift of the Holy Ghost, Peter preaches unto them Jesus: and here is the history of Christ. Here is an account of his death and sufferings, which they witnessed but a few weeks before. His death is considered as God's act; and of wonderful grace and wisdom. Thus Divine justice must be satisfied, God and man brought together again, and Christ himself glorified, according to an eternal counsel, which could not be altered. And as the people's act; in them it was an act of awful sin and folly. Christ's resurrection did away the reproach of his death; Peter speaks largely upon this. Christ was God's Holy One, sanctified and set apart to his service in the work of redemption. His death and sufferings should be, not to him only, but to all his, the entrance to a blessed life for evermore. This event had taken place as foretold, and the apostles were witnesses. Nor did the resurrection rest upon this alone; Christ had poured upon his disciples the miraculous gifts and Divine influences, of which they witnessed the effects. Through the Saviour, the ways of life are made known; and we are encouraged to expect God's presence, and his favour for evermore. All this springs from assured belief that Jesus is the Lord, and the anointed Saviour.
—Matthew Henry Concise
(This doesn't sound eternal to me)

Acts2:31- He seeing this before spoke of the resurrection of Christ,that His soul was not left in Hell, neither did his flesh see corruption;
(This doesn't sound like a permanent place here either)
Just your take on these passages
Need help on the last one Acts 2:31
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 01:42 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, if you believe that hell is eternal, do you believe that it has always existed without beginning or end? Do you believe that all who are consigned there will be enemies of God forever throughout eternity? Do you believe that sin will exist for all of eternity? Just asking. God bless.
1) No.

2) Yes, if you want to put it that way.

3) ? Again, yes, if you want to look it that way.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:56 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Do you believe that Jesus is the Savior of ALL men? Do you believe that Jesus is greater than Adam? Roman 5:18-19 says that condemnation was brought to all through the acts of one man and life was brought to all through the act of one man. By the disobediance of one man many were made sinners but by the obediance of one man the many were made righteous. Why do we believe that Adams all is greater than Jesus`s all? Why do we believe that Adams all means just that..all. But Jesus`s all doesn`t really mean all? Do you believe that satan will be victorius over God? If you say no,which I`m sure you will,then how is God being victorius if satan takes 99% of his creation to an eternal lake of fire and brimstone. Unless your definition of being victorius is different from mine.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:02 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Okay Kay Kay....thanks for sharing, but let me point me point out a few things respectfully
[quote]
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown
Quote:
Hi, if you believe that hell is eternal, do you believe that it has always existed without beginning or end? Do you believe that all who are consigned there will be enemies of God forever throughout eternity? Do you believe that sin will exist for all of eternity? Just asking. God bless.

Quote:

1) No.
How can hell be eternal since eternity has no beginning or end? But many believe that the lost will be sent to eternal hell.

Quote:
2) Yes, if you want to put it that way.
Why are those who are lost the enemies of God? Do the scriptures describe them as being blinded, held captive, under to power of satan, enslaved to sin even if you believe in free will? How can they remain enemies of God forever if all things are to be subjected to Him?
Quote:

3) ? Again, yes, if you want to look it that way
How can sin exist for all of eternity if Jesus is to abolish all rule, power, and authority (except for the Father's)???? Just asking, please think about it.... God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-13-2007 at 02:13 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 02:05 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Another question I always asked is this...What is the age of accountability..9..10..11..12? Let`s say it is 10. A child dies at the ripe old age of 11. He doesn`t say the sinners prayer. Do you truly believe in your heart of hearts that he will spend forever and ever in a literal hellfire burning with fire and brimstone and tormented day and night without end? That he will be forever separated from the love of God for all of eternity? Do you truly believe that he will suffer forever without end for sins that he committed during that one year on earth where he was held accountable? Just asking..of course I`m asking with love. Just trying to understand how someone reconsile`s that. Thanks

Old 12-13-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Do you believe that Jesus is the Savior of ALL men? Do you believe that Jesus is greater than Adam? Roman 5:18-19 says that condemnation was brought to all through the acts of one man and life was brought to all through the act of one man. By the disobediance of one man many were made sinners but by the obediance of one man the many were made righteous. Why do we believe that Adams all is greater than Jesus`s all? Why do we believe that Adams all means just that..all. But Jesus`s all doesn`t really mean all? Do you believe that satan will be victorius over God? If you say no,which I`m sure you will,then how is God being victorius if satan takes 99% of his creation to an eternal lake of fire and brimstone. Unless your definition of being victorius is different from mine.
100% in agreement with you!! God bless.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:12 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown

How can hell be eternal since eternity has no beginning or end?

Why are those who are lost the enemies of God?

How can sin exist for all of eternity if Jesus is to abolish all rule, power, and authority (except for the Father's)???? Just asking, please think about it.... God bless.
I only use the term "eternity" in the sense of having no ending, going on without end.

You are the one that framed the question that way. I wouldn't classify the lost as "enemies of God," but neither do I think the lost will be reconciled as you and other universalists do.

And finally, I only see sin existing for eternity in the sense that I do not believe the lost will be sanctified or cleansed from their sin ... so in a sense, it still exists but has no power.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
My favorite portrayal of Hell is from Family Guy, where Stewie ends up in a hotel room with a cross-dressing Steve Allen. Oh, the horror!!

All joking aside, I definitely believe in Heaven and Hell as a Christian, though my idea of it probably is a bit different than the 13th-14th century paintings of demons eating body parts, or cherubic angels floating in clouds.

The argument by atheists that there is no Heaven or Hell is such a strange one to me. I mean, seriously, what do you have to lose by believing? Nothing, but wow, think of what you could lose if you don't--and then you find out it's all true. That's a pretty big bet on your part. Sure hope for your sake that you're right. As for me, I'll just keep my head in the clouds and live for the hereafter.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I only use the term "eternity" in the sense of having no ending, going on without end.
Okay, Kay Kay, but I think when most people think of eternity they thing of something having no beginning or no end. God is eternal, having no beginning and no end.

Quote:
You are the one that framed the question that way. I wouldn't classify the lost
as "enemies of God," but neither do I think the lost will be reconciled as you and other universalists do.
If the lost are not enemies of God, Kay Kay, what are they then? They are not reconciled to Him and the scriptures speak of us as being enemies of God when we were separated from Him.

Romans 5
10For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

Quote:
And finally, I only see sin existing for eternity in the sense that I do not believe the lost will be sanctified or cleansed from their sin ... so in a sense, it still exists but has no power.
What is sin to you, Kay Kay? Do you believe that the lost will be experiencing the result of their sins in this life forever? Wouldn't this mean that sin's power will still be in effect for all of eternity since the lost will remain unreconciled to God due to sin and the enslavement to sin. Jesus is to abolish all rule, power, and authority = make of no effect, render powerless. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-13-2007 at 02:30 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 02:26 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Default "Another Talk Show"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Another question I always asked is this...What is the age of accountability..9..10..11..12? Let`s say it is 10. A child dies at the ripe old age of 11. He doesn`t say the sinners prayer. Do you truly believe in your heart of hearts that he will spend forever and ever in a literal hellfire burning with fire and brimstone and tormented day and night without end? That he will be forever separated from the love of God for all of eternity? Do you truly believe that he will suffer forever without end for sins that he committed during that one year on earth where he was held accountable? Just asking..of course I`m asking with love. Just trying to understand how someone reconsile`s that. Thanks
Personally, I feel that they are not fully accountable until the ripe old age of
(teenager) about 16-17 y.o.; why? because this is what i used to hear all different faiths say this as i was growing up in the culture that i lived in, and the rationale for that was.
This child's parent was responsible for then until they were able to make sound responsible decisions biologically, I imagine that they felt that the age of accountability within the Civil Laws also. this is only what I heard. I know that the Bat Mitzbahs are of a earlier age; and that Confirmations are somewhat early also. But I will dig into that also
God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity