Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:46 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,293,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelist-77 View Post

Note-A
Entering the kingdom of God appears to be the opposite of being cast into hell …
[b]• “And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out.
Do they sell eye pluckers at Wal-Mart or do I have to go to Home Depot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 07:07 PM

238 posts, read 271,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
. . . but we will be "saved as by fire" because Christ achieved our salvation for us.
... but the 31 passages in post #3 teach against this! ... Tormented by fire is more like it.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Do they sell eye pluckers at Wal-Mart or do I have to go to Home Depot?
Walk into any orthodox christian church and they will do it for free.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:18 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,293,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelist-77 View Post
... but the 31 passages in post #3 teach against this! ... Tormented by fire is more like it.
Which you completely misinterpreted or took out of context.

It must suck to be sin conscious and condemnation minded.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:24 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,950,316 times
You noticed that.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,625,076 times
Evangelist - looking at your list, if a person does not have the grace of God in their life, your list will be drudgery. I dont think anyone can live a godly life without the Holy Spirit giving someone the ability and the changed heart to be able to do what you say in your post.

I think those things will come naturally as a product of the new life in Christ Jesus. If anyone tries to do those things without Jesus, they cannot.

"Without Me, you can do nothing" Jesus said.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:50 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,792,119 times
Correct. Only those that do the will of God and keep His commandments will enter the kingdom of heaven.

My brothers mother and sisters do the will of my heavenly Father.

No one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and spirit.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:23 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,649,126 times
according to Arminian theology, there are two potential outcomes for those that have received Christ's Holy Spirit through the new Birth by Faith in Christ.

Either

Titus 2:13
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Or

Hebrews 10:26-27

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Either one is looking to God appearing as His Savior or looking forward only to the Great White Throne Judgment of God to be cast into the lake of fire.

The Calvanist embraces the "OSAS" position. The believer can have full assurance of God's commitment to them by His faithfulness once they are seen "in Christ" by Faith in Him. The Arminian embraces the once saved and lost again always lost. (<<there is no other interpretation scripturally for this view).. No hope whatsoever of Salvation. In fact, it would have been better for the individual to have never come to Christ in the first place.

2 Peter 2:20-22

For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Jude

These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

In Arminianism, if you come to Jesus Christ but do not overcome than it would have been better if you never have come at all. You cannot know if you are God's child. You are not sure of your position before Him. You do not know if all things in life are working together for good ultimately. For all you know, all things are working together for bad unto your destruction.

I'm just pointing out some points here. People can decide for themselves what they believe is the truth of the matter.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,950,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
In Arminianism, if you come to Jesus Christ but do not overcome than it would have been better if you never have come at all. You cannot know if you are God's child. You are not sure of your position before Him. You do not know if all things in life are working together for good ultimately. For all you know, all things are working together for bad unto your destruction.

I'm just pointing out some points here. People can decide for themselves what they believe is the truth of the matter.
If you don't know that you love the Lord and continue in that love regardless of some shortcomings, that is true. On the other hand, you can nevewr know under "Reformed Theology" that you ARE one of "the Elect" until you "persevere to the end," which is one of the requirements to BE one of the elect. Some assurance.

I'm just pointing out that your point is not fully made.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,649,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If you don't know that you love the Lord and continue in that love regardless of some shortcomings, that is true. On the other hand, you can nevewr know under "Reformed Theology" that you ARE one of "the Elect" until you "persevere to the end," which is one of the requirements to BE one of the elect. Some assurance.

I'm just pointing out that your point is not fully made.
So there are different levels of Calvanists/Arminians.. what you've described is called the "hyper Calvanist".. in which the individual does not ultimately know that they are elect until the end.

What I described what is deemed by some as "moderate Calvanist". These are those that know they are Saved and one of the elect by based upon them receiving His Holy Spirit by Faith in Christ with assurance that they will persevere unto the end as "it is God who works in you both to will and to do His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13). Those that apostasize were never born again.

hope this clears up any confusion. The focus isn't on Calvanism/OSAS though.. the post was directed toward Arminianism and the concept that born-again Christians can lose their salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity