Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
One and the same. If the spirit tells you something in opposition to Holy Scripture, that's not the Spirit of God.
That is the point, jimmie, they are not the same and claiming such a thing subjects the Spirit to the book. I think the Spirit is not so confined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:38 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
This really IS our basic difference: We trust the Spirit Jesus promised above the Book He did not promise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
One and the same. If the spirit tells you something in opposition to Holy Scripture, that's not the Spirit of God.
Quote:
That is the point, jimmie, they are not the same and claiming such a thing subjects the Spirit to the book. I think the Spirit is not so confined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Then what's the point of having the Spirit, jimmie . . . it is redundant. Why would God bother to "write in our hearts" and send the Comforter to guide us to the truth there in agape love if the words "written in ink" are controlling?
The Bible even notes that it could not contain all that Jesus taught . . . so how are we to get the rest except through the Comforter and what God has "written in our hearts?"

John 14:26 King James Version (KJV)

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:03 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,991,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Says who Eusebius ? Job without a book said " i know my redeemer lives". I suppose it boils down to where you seek after God, and although i love the scriptures i have never read in them what you are saying here but i have read in plenty of places to seek after the Lord, now if you believe Lord means bible, what can i say.
You wouldn't know what Job said without the book.

Paul told us what he wrote truly is the word of God. God didn't have Paul write to the nations for them to never read what he wrote. Call me when you understand all that is written to us just in Paul's epistles.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Bible even notes that it could not contain all that Jesus taught . . . so how are we to get the rest except through the Comforter and what God has "written in our hearts?"

John 14:26 King James Version (KJV)

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
That was told only to the disciples by Christ. And they wrote down all, whatsoever He had SAID unto them that was important to be written down for the Jews to heed.

How would you even know about the Comforter if you didn't read about it in the Bible? You wouldn't.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
That was told only to the disciples by Christ. And they wrote down all, whatsoever He had SAID unto them that was important to be written down for the Jews to heed.

How would you even know about the Comforter if you didn't read about it in the Bible? You wouldn't.
So what? Does that make the book superior to the Spirit? Does the book disappear if the Spirit is more authoritative?

Honestly, what I see happening most often is the Spirit disappears when the book is declared final authority.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:10 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,338,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You wouldn't know what Job said without the book.

Paul told us what he wrote truly is the word of God. God didn't have Paul write to the nations for them to never read what he wrote. Call me when you understand all that is written to us just in Paul's epistles.
Yes i would, by the same way Job did. The whole created world (for me anyway) speaks forth the whole revelation of God.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:17 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,508,871 times
.... in the words of Jesus:
Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them: “Any kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and a house divided against itself will fall. If Satan is divided against himself, how can his kingdom stand? I say this because you claim that I drive out demons by Beelzebul."
Besides the fact that only God knows the thoughts which shows that Jesus is God as this thread shows, those who oppose the truth will eventually accuse God of being evil.

Now I wonder if any of you will show as much tenacity about the same subject in other forums and risk a house divided among itself ... from "The "Ask a Jew" thread" 7\9\2014

Our good buddy Richard1965 asks:
What does this mean?
אַשְׁרֵי, שֶׁיֹּאחֵז וְנִפֵּץ אֶת-עֹלָלַיִךְ-- ** אֶל-הַסָּל.

Pruzhany answers:
Psalm 137:9 Verse Detail Pages

Richard1965 asks in reply
But why would HaShem say something like that?...
iwishiwerethin responds:
Why not? Praised are those who will do to our enemies what they have done to us.
Richard1965 responds
Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth?...
Hiker45
Iwish, I agree with you. <snip the remaining balance>
Hiker45 (replying to Richard's eye for eye ....)
No.
To end a conflict, we have to inflict greater damage than our enemies inflict on us.
<snip the remaining balance>
iwishiwerethin responds:
Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth is something else entirely, so you're mixing apples and oranges.
Our enemies will pay in the end, down to the littlest detail of every crime, and each punishment will match up to the crime committed. G-d is just.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 AM

Yes, that would be the perception of those under the Mosaic Covenant. Jesus showed God to be concerned with ALL mankind and with reconciliation rather than revenge.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes i would, by the same way Job did. The whole created world (for me anyway) speaks forth the whole revelation of God.
No it doesn't.
Paul gave us secrets hid from the eons. No one knew about them. Even the 12 apostles didn't know about them and even Peter said what Paul writes is hard to understand.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
So what? Does that make the book superior to the Spirit? Does the book disappear if the Spirit is more authoritative?

Honestly, what I see happening most often is the Spirit disappears when the book is declared final authority.
The Holy Spirit works with us in accord with Paul's writings, not in spite of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity