Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 09:41 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The biggest thing it offers is that we don't have to worry about being rejected because of anything we did.
IF you are in the position you THINK you are.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:22 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,040,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You hope.

It's my belief you're going to be unpleasantly surprised.
In what way? What do you believe God will reject me for?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,210,941 times
Quote:
In what way? What do you believe God will reject me for?
Not reject, necessarily.

But you will feel shame, remorse and overwhelming sorrow for what may seem to be an eternity.

I can almost guarantee it.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:29 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,040,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Not reject, necessarily.

But you will feel shame, remorse and overwhelming sorrow for what may seem to be an eternity.

I can almost guarantee it.
I'm sure I will feel shame. As will everyone when their lives are exposed. Of course, I will be ushered into the presence of God and I'm forgiven for the sin I've done.

How about you? What are you going to do when God judges you for the sin you've committed?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,339,309 times
SALVATION: Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

As far as the topic here - God is love. There's no one on earth, in all of eternity, that He loves more than He loves (your name here). Hate the sin, love the sinner. And we are all sinners.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,210,941 times
Quote:
I'm sure I will feel shame. As will everyone when their lives are exposed. Of course, I will be ushered into the presence of God and I'm forgiven for the sin I've done.

How about you? What are you going to do when God judges you for the sin you've committed?
It isn't.

Nor will it judge you.

You will judge yourself. But without the rationalizations and excuses you used when alive.

No ducking and running from the end game.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 08-11-2017 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Again, it has been investigated on a higher level whether the two members are the same. They aren't.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:37 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,151,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And the bible sayeths, so it must be true:
Deuteronomy 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
So how the heck is this the fault of the bastard? How can anyone look at a child born out of wedlock, use the pejorative "bastard", and not only that, insist that the all loving, omnipotent, sentient, invisible sky-king would damn not only that poor innocent child, which had nothing to do with being in the circumstances it finds itself in, but a further TEN generations of its offspring are damned also.

I know, I can just see it now... "That was the old law" and "Jesus fulfilled it".

Horse puckey. No where does it say anything in the NT that this has been abolished. Besides, there is no reason other than prejudice that it was in there in the first place.

What an abhorrent, hurtful, deceitful book.
There are several reasons why illegitimate children were not to enter the "congregation of the Lord:"

Genealogical records were important to these ancient people for a variety of reasons:

They determined inheritance rights and land distributions. The innocent legitimate children born as part of the family unit, the innocent spouse were thus legally protected in this regard.

The office of a priest and Levite was hereditary. During Nehemiahs's time whole families were disqualified if they could not produce a public genealogical record.

The Jews, in time, knew that the Messiah was to come through the line of Judah, through the family line of King David.

It appears traditionally the viewpoint is these illegitimate children could not legally challenge the legitimate children or spouse of their inheritance or land divisions nor could they hold public office (eg Levitical priests) or marry into Jewish families. Were illegitimate children unable to function as productive adults in that society? speculative.

As far as the "New Testament:"

Based on what is written once the Messiah arrived God's intent to bless all nations through the line of Abraham was fulfilled. There was no longer a covenant with a fleshly nation. Genealogies no longer were necessary. Priests overseeing the various sacrifices had served their purpose. When Christ gave his life as a ransom it was for all. The choice to accept or reject this sacrifice was and is left up to each individual. We know that murderers, thieves, adulterers, drunkards etc became Christians. “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.-John 3:16. Notice e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e. Why then would anyone think the ransom would not apply to those borne as illegitimate children exercising faith.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,636,763 times
Isn't it a peculiar coincidence that the christian god hates exactly the same people that christians hate? What are the odds of that?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
hd4me, do you honestly think that is any kind of excuse for making pariahs of innocent children? Seriously?

Old 08-12-2017, 02:06 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,151,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
hd4me, do you honestly think that is any kind of excuse for making pariahs of innocent children? Seriously?
Nateswift...That's a good question. However, how would you protect the innocent children born within the family arrangement as well as the innocent spouse? Even more modern day societies have considered the family relationship and marriage as something special. There's an assumption that illegitimate children were pariahs but is that proven or speculative? I'm not Jewish. However just a review of the subject indicates that Judaism did not consider these individuals second class citizens despite the restriction. "Although in many historical societies, illegitimacy of birth was a quality which could make a man somewhat of an outcast, this was not the official attitude of Judaism; apart from the marriage restrictions, a mamzer is not officially considered a second-class citizen, and is supposed to be treated with as much respect as other Jews."-Wikipedia. Maybe its accurate maybe not but it's speculative to state unequivocally they were pariahs or acquiesce to the OPs sentiment. I have no doubts that Jesus's sacrifice covers a whole lot of people and a resurrection will take place even for "illegitimate" ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity