Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,372 times

Advertisements

Wow, ifbjosh was making assumptions based on a little of what you posted about your church. Churches do vary from church to church. So he is making a false assumption.

I did not grow up in an IFB church, but a church that was very similar or maybe more legalistic. There was more emphasis on dress, hair, and how we looked on the outside then what was supposed to be on the inside.
I would listen to sermons on the sin of wearing 'baby doll pjs" and even the color red.

It took years for me to finally learn about the 'fruit of the spirit' and how to follow Jesus.

Hang in there. Seek the truth from the Bible and from your prayers times. He will speak to you. He will lead you.

When I married, I moved to an area where the legalistic church did not have any churches. I was forced to go to another church. The break through finally came when I realized that there were miracles happening and real answers to the prayers of these people. They truly loved Jesus Christ and only wanted to serve him. I wasted several years looking down my legalistic nose at them - and all the time they were being blessed. And - I was not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 03:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,990 times
I am a IFB, and I wonder what horrible church you attended. Most IFB churches do not teach that anyone goes to hell except those who reject Christ, and we teach that even the worst "sinners" can be saved through faith in Christ. All who accept Christ as Savior will be saved regardless of their denomination (at least in according to every IFB church I have ever attended, and that is many). I think you are reacting against the contentious, unloving atmosphere of your childhood church(es) and possibly even your own family. IFB churches are usually quite conservative, and unfortunately, I do know that many people join such church with the sole intent to be "better" than someone else. I would say turn to God and the scriptures, not to a denomination or past experiences to decide your own Christianity. God is able to lead you to a church that meets His standards and expresses His love if you will let Him lead you.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,295 times
Default Confusion of IFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I was raised in and belong to an Independent Fundamental Baptist church and I was wondering if anybody else has had experience with this denomination, if anybody has left this denomination, and where they went afterward?

If you don't know much about IFB churches, I will explain them. They are an extreme right-wing Baptist denomination that split from the other Baptist churches because they percieved them to becoming too worldy. Our beliefs are similar to regular Baptists, just with extreme legalism and conservatism. The extent of legalism varies among IFB churches, but a few of the traits commonly seen among all are:

-Only the Authorized King James Version of the Bible is the inspired word of God
-Forbidding of indulgence in popular culture i.e. music, movies, dancing, etc
-Strict dress codes for men and women; no shorts for men and women must wear a dress when seen in public
-A woman must submit to her husband under all circumstances; she is forbidden to work
-Forbidding the visitation of movie theaters
-Discourge friends and relationships between members and those outside the church body
-The belief that ALL forms of alcohol consumption is sinful, and that when wine is used in the new testament its referring to grape juice
-The belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis; God created the universe in 6 days 6,000 years ago and any other interpretation is heresy
-Strict rejection of science and technology
-Sex outside of marriage, adultry, and homosexuality are strictly forbidden and are punishable by hell
-Strict allegiance to the pastor
-Rejection of a secular education; many churches have their own school at the church for K-12 and smaller churches without schools generally have a large amount of parents who homeschool
-Some IFB churches are very politically active, requiring their members to support a candidate based on their stance on abortion and homosexuality
-Countless other things that vary from church to church.

Over the past year I've really questioned this doctrine. I was taught growing up to accept it on faith and to question it was a path to hell. I am getting ready to relocate and want to find a more mainline or progressive church, but how do I transition between the extreme doctrine I've known my whole life and a church that accepts things that would be hell-damning by IFB doctrine?
If you belong in an IFB Church you are evidently not being taught the correct stance of this denomination. There is some confusion, mostly to those not of the faith concerning IFB churches and their beliefs. I am an IFB member, Sunday School teacher, and preacher for many years, and I noticed you are confused on several points.

First of all, yes we believe in the Authorized 1611 King James Version of the Bible as the Holy Word, because the Holy Inspired Word tells us in John 1:1 that our Lord is the Word and was from the beginning. There is only One God, therefore there can be only one Word. There is an entire lesson within itself of the authenticity of the KJV 1611. It was the only Word brought forth during the Philadelphian period, and all other modern day man-made versions were brought out of the Laodecian period. One God - One Word. The original Word told us not to add to or take away from, and that is exactly what all the modern day versions do.

Also, we split from other denominations because we are not governed by any so-called organizations or committees, but only by the Holy Spirit of God. Believe it or not God is about theocracy, not democracy.

Also, we have many within the church where the women works. We do not promote it, but we do not exclude those that do.

Visitation of movie theaters is ridiculous. I visit movie theaters every now and then, and have never heard the such.

Sex outside of marriage is a sin. Homosexuality is a sin. God calls it an abomination. This is what God tells us through His Word. The world might not agree with it, but that will not change the truth of God.

Young age of the universe is what you are referring to. I have yet to find anything in the scripture that does not agree with science. That's right, God created science also. It would take me too long to explain this in this forum. It would take a book.

Hell was not created for man, but the devils and fallen angels. God has never sent one man or woman to Hell, but they send themselves.

Strict allegiance to the pastor is ridiculous. Our strict allegiance is to God almighty. Some people cannot accept that because that means to live by His rule they would have to change their lives and be taken out of their comfort zone.

We don't allow politics.

Therefore with all due respect, there are many things you are confused about regarding IFB churches. I would say there are probably extremists in anything, and there very well could be in some IFB churches. But please don't classify them ALL that way. It simply is not true. If you are seeking more "worldly" things that will make your life easier, you will have no problem finding it. But God never promised us an easy path. He said pick up the cross and follow him. The path to the cross was not an easy path.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwalls View Post
If you belong in an IFB Church you are evidently not being taught the correct stance of this denomination. There is some confusion, mostly to those not of the faith concerning IFB churches and their beliefs. I am an IFB member, Sunday School teacher, and preacher for many years, and I noticed you are confused on several points.
Most IFB churches will vary on specific doctrines. Having grown up in the IFB and left, I will respond to these points.

Quote:
First of all, yes we believe in the Authorized 1611 King James Version of the Bible as the Holy Word, because the Holy Inspired Word tells us in John 1:1 that our Lord is the Word and was from the beginning. There is only One God, therefore there can be only one Word. There is an entire lesson within itself of the authenticity of the KJV 1611. It was the only Word brought forth during the Philadelphian period, and all other modern day man-made versions were brought out of the Laodecian period. One God - One Word. The original Word told us not to add to or take away from, and that is exactly what all the modern day versions do.
I agree with this in that God's Holy Inspired Word was from the beginning, and that there is one God and one Word. I disagree that the KJV 1611 is the only acceptable English translation. There are a lot of corrupted translations out there, but MANY people have been reached for Christ using the NIV, ESV, NKJV, etc. For many people the newer versions are much easier to understand and they can get much more out of reading Scripture due to the fact the English language has changed so much since 1611. A lot of bad theology has come from literal interpretation of words in the KJV that have a different meaning today than they did in 1611. The Bible version preference, as long as its not a corrupted version like TNIV or the 2011 NIV, is a non-essential of the faith, and I believe it is wrong to humiliate a fellow believer for using a modern-day version, as I saw in the IFB church I attended.

Quote:
Also, we split from other denominations because we are not governed by any so-called organizations or committees, but only by the Holy Spirit of God. Believe it or not God is about theocracy, not democracy.
This is good.

Quote:
Also, we have many within the church where the women works. We do not promote it, but we do not exclude those that do.
This may not be as big of a deal as it used to be, but growing up I heard numerous sermons stating that a woman's place was at home, not at work. This is partially true as a mother's top priority should be her children and not a career, but in today's society two incomes is almost required to support a family.

Quote:
Visitation of movie theaters is ridiculous. I visit movie theaters every now and then, and have never heard the such.
I heard several sermons that stated going to movie theaters was being conformed to the world. The preacher in the IFB church I attended also we should not go to the mall either.

Quote:
Sex outside of marriage is a sin. Homosexuality is a sin. God calls it an abomination. This is what God tells us through His Word. The world might not agree with it, but that will not change the truth of God.
God's plan for sexual relationship is only in the marriage bed. Homosexuality was a greater sin in Levitical times, but in 1 Corinthians 6, Paul lists it with other sins we are all guilty of. The pastor at my IFB church loved to preach on homosexuality and would consistently declare it to be the worst sin a man could commit. I do not believe this to be the case, and it is in fact no different from any other sexual sin or addiction, and the Christian who is tempted by it can abstain with God's help.

Quote:
Young age of the universe is what you are referring to. I have yet to find anything in the scripture that does not agree with science. That's right, God created science also. It would take me too long to explain this in this forum. It would take a book.
I believe God created the Heavens and the Earth, and choose not to focus on the "how" part of it. Truth is we don't know the details and will not in this life.

Quote:
Hell was not created for man, but the devils and fallen angels. God has never sent one man or woman to Hell, but they send themselves.
Agreed

Quote:
Strict allegiance to the pastor is ridiculous. Our strict allegiance is to God almighty. Some people cannot accept that because that means to live by His rule they would have to change their lives and be taken out of their comfort zone.
This varies by church, but there are many IFB churches in which the pastor uses his authority to exert complete control over the congregation, and anybody who questions anything the pastor says, even with scripture, can be excommunicated from the church.

Quote:
We don't allow politics.
The pastor at my IFB church before the 2004 election stated that if a person voted for Kerry, God would hold them personally accountable for the blood of every aborted baby and the abomination of every homosexual. This in my opinion was uncalled for and honestly unbiblical. Even the Republican party supports activities, though different from the Democratic party, that are sinful (war, greed), and if voting for a sinner will damn a person to hell, then it would be better that the Christian not vote.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,240 times
Default independent fundamental baptist

i have been an IFB all my life and the church i belong to is no where near what you have said about them.But than all churchs are not the same.maybe you should try a different religion,there are alot out there.Southern BAptist is not as strict as IFB.But if you read your Bible it will tell you that all the things you said that the IFB teachs are truely wrong.Maybe you just have to find something to complain about because you are doing the wrong things and it is bothing you.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:47 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFBISNOTACULT View Post
But you should still follow Christ and worship Him in a way that shows your dedication to Him in a organized way i.e. a Church of God, it is a good way to show that you not only walk in the light of Christ but show it in public. But Church isnt for everybody and that's ok God wants you to show your love for him in any way that you can
God Bless
John 3:16
The modern Laodicean "church" is the generation I grew up with. All the divisions is a huge turn off. I've always hated the concept of the "church going" as in my experience growing up it always seemed like a big Religious pat on the back on Sundays. The superficial nature and hypocrisy of it all was a huge turn off. Raised Catholic. I haven't completely recovered.

Found an independent Baptist Church preaching the Word. Nice people. Feel like an alien though. No real courtship with the people. A lot of preaching against sin, but I don't hear a lot about Love. Love is what it's all about.

I'm one of those that believe that the Love of God is true motivating factor for living for God. Not the fear.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
The problem with Protestantism is that there are over 33,000 varieties.

Imagine if there were 33,000 different Catholic Religions. It would be chaotic!

Protestants need to unite and create a formal unified church. All this splintering cannot help.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Most IFB churches will vary on specific doctrines. Having grown up in the IFB and left, I will respond to these points.

I agree with this in that God's Holy Inspired Word was from the beginning, and that there is one God and one Word. I disagree that the KJV 1611 is the only acceptable English translation. There are a lot of corrupted translations out there, but MANY people have been reached for Christ using the NIV, ESV, NKJV, etc. For many people the newer versions are much easier to understand and they can get much more out of reading Scripture due to the fact the English language has changed so much since 1611. A lot of bad theology has come from literal interpretation of words in the KJV that have a different meaning today than they did in 1611. The Bible version preference, as long as its not a corrupted version like TNIV or the 2011 NIV, is a non-essential of the faith, and I believe it is wrong to humiliate a fellow believer for using a modern-day version, as I saw in the IFB church I attended.

This is good.

This may not be as big of a deal as it used to be, but growing up I heard numerous sermons stating that a woman's place was at home, not at work. This is partially true as a mother's top priority should be her children and not a career, but in today's society two incomes is almost required to support a family.

I heard several sermons that stated going to movie theaters was being conformed to the world. The preacher in the IFB church I attended also we should not go to the mall either.

God's plan for sexual relationship is only in the marriage bed. Homosexuality was a greater sin in Levitical times, but in 1 Corinthians 6, Paul lists it with other sins we are all guilty of. The pastor at my IFB church loved to preach on homosexuality and would consistently declare it to be the worst sin a man could commit. I do not believe this to be the case, and it is in fact no different from any other sexual sin or addiction, and the Christian who is tempted by it can abstain with God's help.

I believe God created the Heavens and the Earth, and choose not to focus on the "how" part of it. Truth is we don't know the details and will not in this life.

Agreed

This varies by church, but there are many IFB churches in which the pastor uses his authority to exert complete control over the congregation, and anybody who questions anything the pastor says, even with scripture, can be excommunicated from the church.

The pastor at my IFB church before the 2004 election stated that if a person voted for Kerry, God would hold them personally accountable for the blood of every aborted baby and the abomination of every homosexual. This in my opinion was uncalled for and honestly unbiblical. Even the Republican party supports activities, though different from the Democratic party, that are sinful (war, greed), and if voting for a sinner will damn a person to hell, then it would be better that the Christian not vote.
(DO NOT believe anything an IFB pastor says because they lie. Our church just got taken over by IFB'ers and has been destroyed by lies and deceit! I was told by the pastors son that the pastor lies because he has to and because he can because he is the pastor. I have caught this man in many lies myself)!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinjhuff5 View Post
(DO NOT believe anything an IFB pastor says because they lie. Our church just got taken over by IFB'ers and has been destroyed by lies and deceit! I was told by the pastors son that the pastor lies because he has to and because he can because he is the pastor. I have caught this man in many lies myself)!!!
Pretty general blanket statement don't you think?

Since you're testimony is anti- IFB pastor, I'll add a pro-IFB testimony.

The little independent fundamental baptist chuch I've experienced is run by the family. The Pastor is the little Shepard leading the congregation to the chief Shepard. The man teaches the Bible to the entire congregation and then proceeds into the lecture. He does not compromise the Gospel message. Many in the pews know the Bible pretty darn good so they are also equipped to help new born believers.

So while no physical "church" or institution is perfect, I find it very comforting they aren't selling out like most denominations to corruption in the world. They are preaching the gospel - death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. The man is pastoring the sheep.

He did talk about not going to bars, not looking up pornography, etc, but this is what all congregations should be doing. Biblical Christianity by nature is Biblically conservative. The world doesn't understand us.

So painting the broad brush over the spectrum doesn't cut it, especially when we are dealing with congregations that are independent of corrupted beauracratic structures allowing the Spirit of God in their fellowship. Last I checked, mainstream denominational Christianity in this country is in a frightening state of apostacy. So independent it is.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM

467 posts, read 467,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The problem with Protestantism is that there are over 33,000 varieties.

Imagine if there were 33,000 different Catholic Religions. It would be chaotic!

Protestants need to unite and create a formal unified church. All this splintering cannot help.
Julian658 Church "SHOPPING" or church "HOPPING" is a very common practice with protestants!

The protestant is searching for "Fellowship"; I look to men's clubs or community organizations for fellowship!

I go to Church to worship God and to EAT the living food come down from heaven!
John 6:33
For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

I Eat to live!
No "IFB" church could feed me, all die if they are not nourished!
The protestant dies from starvation.

John 6:53
Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.
56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them.

Jesus feeds his body.. True Food, Living food, food that gives LIFE!
Ephesians 5:29
After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body.

CHRISTIANS have always eaten this "TRUE FOOD"!
Ignatius of Antioch >> Is Christian!
He said..
"I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the bread of God, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I desire his blood, which is love incorruptible" (Letter to the Romans 7:3 [A.D. 110]).

Clement of Alexandria is NOT "IFB"!
Clement of Alexandria believes the scriptures!!
He said..
"’Eat my flesh,’ [Jesus] says, ‘and drink my blood.’ The Lord supplies us with these intimate nutrients, he delivers over his flesh and pours out his blood, and nothing is lacking for the growth of his children" (The Instructor of Children 1:6:43:3 [A.D. 191]).

Julian658 I would never look anyplace for a Church except to the; Holy Catholic Church!

Dogknox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity