Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 10:29 AM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
God inspired (Not dictated) but commanded. Actually it is dictated as the writer write as lead, of course it is their interpritation of the images they see but God did actually talk directly to them as well. I would be careful how you use the term primitive because the so called primitive men of God were quite brilliant for there generations in regards to the leading of God.
Ah . . . Robin, my brother . . . if the Almighty God of the universe actually dictated the scriptures . . . surely it would be so unambiguous and unmistakably clear and irrefutable by anything (science or otherwise) with truths that only God could know. The Bible is NONE of that. There are myriad books in the library that are clearer and more useful for enlightenment than the confusing, historically ambiguous, contradictory, inconsistent, myth-plagued, metaphor riddled, symbolically obtuse content of the Bible. It is implausible that it was DICTATED by an omniscient God . . . inspired, yes, interpreted by culturally primitive and ignorant men, yes. The assignment of our human psychological weaknesses as motives for God is an unmistakable clue to the impact of the veil of ignorance that covers it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,283 times
Unhappy Open the Bible???

We were in an IB church in Australia for nine years. Yeah, like many people here say, there are many wonderful people there. However we found that this church prides itself very highly on being more scriptural than all other churches. When I wanted to compare some of their teachings to the Bible and talk to them about it, we were ejected from the church by the Pastor.
It wasn’t done biblically though, rather the Pastor told me privately that I had to leave the church but publicly told the congregation I had decided to leave! All the people at the church know the disparity in our stories, but are content to let us be kicked out under cover of darkness for wanting to discuss some doctrinal issues. More detail on the issues at ianparkinson.com

Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 PM

10 posts, read 15,823 times
Default The reason independant Fundemental Baptist use strictly the AKJV 1611

Quote:
Originally Posted by omorgan View Post
I have read through the posts here, looking for information on the independent fundamental Baptist beliefs. I was wondering if someone could tell me more about why the King James Version is so emphatically used? Why are other translations looked down upon so much? Our knowledge of language has grown so much between the 17th century and the 21st century. There are words, and meanings of words and phrases, in the original languages of the scripture that cannot be duplicated in English. Couldn't we rely on God to give us discernment of His message to us by reading the translation that is easiest to read and understand? I can read a single passage 10 times and get 10 different messages from God. To me that is one of the many gifts He has given to all of us, His Word is just what we need in every moment, but it doesn't always say the same thing--even when it's the same words. I am not criticizing, just trying to understand. I love the King James version because it is God's Word, and as a child I memorized from it, but now as an adult when I sit and listen to God speak to me through His word I prefer one that has more of a conversational sound. Does the IFB church truly believe that is wrong? Please help me understand.
The reason Independant Fundemental Baptist use only the Authorized KJV 1611 is because the other versions were translated from a different text that leaves out the blood and virgin birth of Christ. The other versions also omit word and whole verses. They also add to it. The Bible warns against adding to or taking away. The devil has a copy for everything. Christ all knowing, omnipresent=satins santa claus. He uses other versions to get people confused. Our God is not a God of confusion he inspired the writing of the Bible to help us, and every verse is important. I know a lot of people argue that other versions are easier to understand. But if we read and ask God to help us understand he will.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,228 times
I was raised a Southern Baptist, but I married into the IFB. My ex-husband beat me, was constantly putting me down in front of the members of this church, refused to let me visit my parents, and would not let me make any decisions on my own. When I talked with the pastor, he told me to pray and read my Bible more, but that I had to stay with my abusive husband. That was the beginning of the end. I eventually left my husband, got sole custody of both my children, and I am happy to say doing quite well.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
A lot has happened in my life since I originally posted this thread.

After backsliding and falling nearly to agnosticism, I attended an IFB church, felt the presence of God for the first time in years, and rededicated my life. There are many things about the IFB churches I do enjoy. I enjoy the KJV and singing old-fashioned hymns, which pretty much only IFB churches still do. However, I have decided on a mainline Southern Baptist church to attend because most IFB's tend to be older congregations and the SBC is closer doctrinally to how I believe. While I refute my initial attack on the IFB churches, after having went back to an IFB church for about a month, I stand by the fact that its a trend among some Independent Baptists to put so much emphasis on legalism they lose the joy that comes from Salvation. I agree that the Christian should be guided by the Bible and the Holy Spirit, not a man's interpretation. We can enjoy this life and enjoy serving God at the same time.
Does anyone else see the problem of this typical protestant approach to faith? This person's thoughts can't even agree in the same paragraph. But this approach to faith is typical. Protestantism, in its very nature, just doesn't make sense.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:35 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
I grew up Southern Baptist, but much of your original list was what we were taught. I will say, my home church & pastor laid a good, firm Biblical foundation for my life. Yes, it was a bit legalistic, but I survived. And, it kept me out of trouble.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:03 PM

Until reading these post I had no Idea that there was such a difference between some of the Independent Fundamental Baptist Churches. I myself am an IFB and we believe that KJ1611 is the only inspired word of God' because other versions leave out the blood and virgin birth of Jesus. Both of which are essential to salvation. Duet 22:5 tells us a women shouldn't wear that which pertaineth to a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment. But we don't beleive that wearing pant will send you to hell. That contradicts our other belief once saved always saved. We know you don't have to even go to Church to be saved. But we believe that when a person gets saved that the Holy Spirit living in them longs for that Christian fellowship and wants to go to Church. And we know that we will not always want to go. But just as others have already said the most important thing is your salvation. You need to be able to answer the question (If I were to die today do I know I would for sure I would go to Heaven). All these post just give me proof of how satan is at work to confuse christians and keep the lost from getting saved. I will be praying for us all because there is no such thing as to much prayer.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:35 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
I went to one of these nutcase Baptist churches as a kid, and then my mother switched us to a different church because the Baptist church wasn't conservative enough. I put up with years of being preached at, including "gays will burn in hell for an eternity for their sins". I am still working through the psychological damage.

PLEASE don't go to these churches; they are dangerous!

Old 11-06-2010, 08:23 PM

I ask that everyone who is posting all the negativity not judge all of us by an experience that you have had in a few. If you are honest about it you can take different churches from different denominations and you will see they are all different. I have been to several IFB and none I have been to is like what you all have said. I am not saying that they are not like that but NOT ALL OF US ARE LIKE THAT!!! We love everyone no matter what you ;look like what you wear. What Bible you have. The only thing we are concerned about is saving souls. WE BELIEVE THAT WE SHOULD LET GOD DO THE CONVICTING. The Bible says there is none righteous no not one. It is upsetting that several of you have formed your opinions based on an experience that you had in one church. How fair is that? I think we all need to stop slamming each other and think about WWJD. He doesn't want us judging one another and arguing over who is right. The truth is there will be people from all denominations that will not be going to heaven including IFB. Because they rely on works not Grace.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
The OP sounds as though she is in a situation that is making her unhappy.
It also sounds as though these churches teeter dangerously on the accepted deffinition of a "cult"
This sounds like the sort of church that the Duggers thoe people with 19 children, of reality TV fame attend.
Why don't you check out a few other less legalistic denominations that would still be in the Baptist Tradition but not as legalistic.
Try Coservative Baptist Churches -no where near as conservative as yours.
The American Baptist Church and
some United Church of Congregations are open to believer baptism.
If you are not happy where you are try somethink new.
Blessings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity