Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 05:04 PM

518 posts, read 469,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
And how exactly do the two of you believe God will punish America after He has finished judging?

Gods don't kill people. PEOPLE WITH GODS KILL PEOPLE.
I will leave that up to God. It's above my pay grade!

Old 12-07-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
twowomen!
Do you have a point or did you fail to post a complete comment?

Old 12-07-2014, 05:14 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choir loft View Post
Moderator cut: removing the parts that have nothing to do with religion or spirituality

god has looked upon the sins of america. Judgement has begun.

if god does not judge america, he will have to apologize to sodom and gomorrah.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
If God does not judge American fundamental christianity, he will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah

Old 12-07-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If god does not judge american fundamental christianity, he will have to apologize to sodom and gomorrah
So you think american fundamental christianity are a bunch of sodomites?

Old 12-07-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
So you think american fundamental christianity are a bunch of sodomites?
Worse, they took on the mantle of the Pharisee.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:22 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Where in the bible does it say rape is immoral? Nowhere.

I don't care what that culture was. The bible is supposedly teaching us how to morally act. It is a huge #fail when it comes to rape or slavery. Nothing, absolutely nothing justifies it. Don't give me that 'cultural' excuse. All it means is that you, nor any other apologist, has no means of answering how to address these horrible moral teachings.
Well if you want to ignore the truth, I can't do anything about it. It's just plain ignorant to assume that things like slavery in any culture or time period is EXACTLY and ALWAYS the same. Do you even consider that such terms can have multiple meanings? Some people volunteered for servitude as a way to pay off debts in those days. But according to you, that is sick and immoral. Without knowing all the facts of the circumstances, you don't have a right to judge God here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Oh please. Not only is the daughter being treated like property, as in a slave, but the rapist still gets off by paying the dowry to the father as if she was being married.

Remember those words, 'context'. What a sick, sick, teaching. I don't give a flying fig if 'that was the culture at the time', it is wrong, it is immoral, and it is sick. Some middle east cultures still deal this way, and it was not that long ago that dowries were expected in many parts of Europe. What a horrible 'tradition'.

So it's less horrible for the woman to either starve to death or become a prostitute?

Old 12-07-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
So you are using 'but that was the ancient culture at the time' as an excuse for rape and slavery and subjugation of women back then? But when it comes to gay and lesbian people in the 21st century, suddenly that 'ancient culture' excuse goes out the window?

Do you see why many people see this as hypocrisy and cherry-picking to support prejudice against gay and lesbian people?

It's not an excuse at all, it was a reality. I gave the options. Apparently you rather see the woman starve to death or become a prostitute in exchange for the rapist being executed or whatever.

There are moral laws and cultural laws in the Bible. It's not my fault if you can't understand the difference. If it's all the same then you would have to say the laws against adultery no longer apply.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Worse, they took on the mantle of the Pharisee.
Seems like there is plenty of "holier than thou" attitudes coming from the "non-fundies" posters here to me.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:32 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well if you want to ignore the truth, I can't do anything about it. It's just plain ignorant to assume that things like slavery in any culture or time period is EXACTLY and ALWAYS the same. Do you even consider that such terms can have multiple meanings? Some people volunteered for servitude as a way to pay off debts in those days. But according to you, that is sick and immoral. Without knowing all the facts of the circumstances, you don't have a right to judge God here.
Any god that would justify the ownership of another person, because it was 'their culture' is a god that no one should worship. That kind of god is evil, and no spin makes it worthy of worship, unless one worships evil and evil doers.

How could you even try and justify slavery, or rape, by saying your god does no harm, so therefore it must be right. That is just so revolting. The only comments in the bible as to what to do about slaves is how to beat them, including Jesus. What a horrible morality, and if a human can't see that, how human are they?

Quote:
So it's less horrible for the woman to either starve to death or become a prostitute?
So we are justifying rape by blaming the victim, rather than the act or that woman's father being paid off by the rapist.

And you wonder why atheists are disgusted with where apologists say they get their morals from?

Old 12-07-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Seems like there is plenty of "holier than thou" attitudes coming from the "non-fundies" posters here to me.
You mean you do not like it when the tables are turned on you. Jesus never had a bad word to say to anyone other than the holier than thou fundamentalist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity