Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 01:25 PM

18,525 posts, read 9,210,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Listen, anyone can claim to be a Christian but only God knows who really is or is not. Can a lying, warmongering politician be a Christian? Many claim to be and I doubt they are but again, I'm not the judge.
In some denominations, all that matters is "faith" and not "works." So in theory, a lying, warmongering politician could be a Christian in those denominations. If I'm not mistaken, Calvinists take that to the extreme, saying that God predestines people to heaven and hell, and they have no choice in the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 01:26 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,241,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
For some NO, it cannot be done.

Others, rationalize and accept microevolution.

Others accept evolution and understand genesis is an allegory.

A FEW CHRISTIANS THAT ACCEPT SCIENCE

I suspect that some hard core Sola Scriptura literalists feel they must take the creation as truth because otherwise their belief system crumbles. However, plenty of Christians that are highly educated see no conflict.

Why are so many forum members afraid to admit that Genesis may be an allegory?
I don't believe they're compatible, no. Jesus himself believed in a literal Adam and Eve.

But I will not suggest that a believer in evolution is anathema.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
In some denominations, all that matters is "faith" and not "works." So in theory, a lying, warmongering politician could be a Christian in those denominations. If I'm not mistaken, Calvinists take that to the extreme, saying that God predestines people to heaven and hell, and they have no choice in the matter.
The Bible teaches predestination (Eph 1:4, Romans 8-9). It clearly says that some are predestined.

Having said that, both Arminians and Calvinists alive believe a person's heart is evil and wicked and that without Christ we are lost. The Arminian would say that God grants them prevenient Grace to be able to choose Christ, where a Calvinist would say that God regenerates the heart on some, allowing them to choose Christ.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,374,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Why do you think they are afraid? Did anyone on these boards who are Christians say "I'm afraid to admit Genesis may be an allegory?

I'm not afraid and don't believe Genesis is an allegory. How could all of Genesis be an allegory?

According to Hollman Bible Dictionary under "Allegory" he writes:

Old Testament Allegory Scholars generally agree that none of the Old Testament was written allegorically. Portions of it have been interpreted allegorically by later generations. For example, interpreting the Song of Solomon as an allegory of God's love for Israel rather than as a collection of romantic love songs may have played a role in the acceptance of that book into the Old Testament canon.

You can read more from his dictionary here: Allegory - Holman Bible Dictionary - Bible Dictionary - StudyLight.org

We all know that some Christian sites promote Literal Sola Scriptura, what else is new?

Quote:
al·le·go·ry noun \ˈa-lə-ˌgȯr-ē\

A story in which the characters and events are symbols that stand for ideas about human life or for a political or historical situation

Full Definition of ALLEGORY

The expression by means of symbolic fictional figures and actions of truths or generalizations about human existence; also : an instance (as in a story or painting) of such expression
Allegory - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 01-14-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The Bible teaches predestination (Eph 1:4, Romans 8-9). It clearly says that some are predestined.

Having said that, both Arminians and Calvinists alive believe a person's heart is evil and wicked and that without Christ we are lost. The Arminian would say that God grants them prevenient Grace to be able to choose Christ, where a Calvinist would say that God regenerates the heart on some, allowing them to choose Christ.
Vizio:

I am concerned with your new love for calvinism.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:32 PM

18,525 posts, read 9,210,862 times
Quote:
I don't believe they're compatible, no. Jesus himself believed in a literal Adam and Eve.

I seem to recall Jesus making a reference to Adam and Eve, but does he specifically mention them by name?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
CIRCULAR!

Quote:
CONTRADICTORY TO ABOVE!

Old 01-14-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
CIRCULAR!
Could you elaborate?
Quote:

CONTRADICTORY TO ABOVE!
Again...could you elaborate?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Could you elaborate?

Again...could you elaborate?
Using the Bible to prove the Bible is circular logic. You need to learn something from Catholic philosophers such as Augustine and Aquinas. I suggest you stop reading Calvin.

If you take Genesis literally then you cannot say I accept Christian evolutionists, that is a contradiction.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:53 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,010,341 times
Quote:
We all know that some Christian sites promote Literal Sola Scriptura, what else is new?
That is actually positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity