Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Well, good. I'm glad you're getting a good laugh out of it. Some of us don't think it's that funny. Attacked? YES! Every single day I feel attacked for just being a Christian. Why shouldn't I, when things are removed from my life without so much as a "kiss my butt" from some studio jerk driving his 500SL all over Malibu with a Bluetooth strapped to his ear, hoping that more people will watch a show or see a movie or buy a book as a result--all signs of the dollar and no signs of anything else. Yes sir, I am attacked, and on all sides, with everything I do and everything I am. Just saying I am a Christian here, in these forums, yields an entirely new type of attack, an anonymous one, with stones hurled at glass houses by people who simply don't care because they don't have to.

So, please, feel free to yuk it up all you want. Obviously, it shows how stupid we all are and how smart you must be.
Did you even read about the origination of the term, or are you just looking for anything in particular to get wound up about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 12:39 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,414,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Did you even read about the origination of the term, or are you just looking for anything in particular to get wound up about?

I already KNOW about the origination of the term. What is your problem in understanding my POV?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,068 times
Quote:
Well, good. I'm glad you're getting a good laugh out of it.
Well I wouldn't say a good laugh.. Just a laugh. Big difference.

Quote:
Some of us don't think it's that funny.
I know.. thats why I find it funny.. Therein lies the humor.

Quote:
Attacked? YES! Every single day I feel attacked for just being a Christian.
I can honestly say I've never felt attacked for being a Christian. Not once. Never ever ever.

Quote:
Why shouldn't I, when things are removed from my life without so much as a "kiss my butt" from some studio jerk driving his 500SL all over Malibu with a Bluetooth strapped to his ear, hoping that more people will watch a show or see a movie or buy a book as a result--all signs of the dollar and no signs of anything else.
So let me get this straight. You feel attacked.. even persecuted because:

1. A cable channel (about food no less) at 8:00 on a Monday night removed BC from you life. You literally can't use BC anymore. Its out of your life forever... and you counted on that nomenclature your whole life.. those two little letters..

That.. that makes you feel attacked and persecuted. Ok.. I won't lie.. I still find that extremely funny.. and yes sad at the same time.

Quote:
Yes sir, I am attacked, and on all sides, with everything I do and everything I am.
If you think two little letters are an attack then everything is an attack..

Quote:
Just saying I am a Christian here, in these forums, yields an entirely new type of attack, an anonymous one, with stones hurled at glass houses by people who simply don't care because they don't have to.
Join the club.. everyone is attacked here. Ask the mormons.. ask the women (who can't preach in church).. ask the gays and lesbians here.. they are attacked every day. Yet your problem is with two letters.. their problems are with everyday life.

So just comparing and contrasting the attacks.. yes.. guilty as charged.. I find this "BC" thing.. to be funny compared to the other attacks.

Quote:
So, please, feel free to yuk it up all you want. Obviously, it shows how stupid we all are and how smart you must be.
Why thank you. I don't fancy myself as a smart person but its nice to get a compliment from.. wait a minute.. I just got attacked... by you no less!! I can't believe those city-data jerk executives driving their 500SL all over Malibu with a Bluetooth strapped to their ears would allow that to happen on an anonymous message board!!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:42 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Well, big thirsty and others who don't "get the big deal about this" or why it bothers some Christians--

Let me just say it really IS no big deal. I have a lot more to deal with in my own life than what we call the year or date. That alone is trivial.

That said, however, I think it bothers Christians (including myself) that it seems that unbelievers in society are adamant about removing every possible trace (even historical) of evidence that there was, is or might possibly be a God.

That, I find, kind of sad.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, big thirsty and others who don't "get the big deal about this" or why it bothers some Christians--

Let me just say it really IS no big deal. I have a lot more to deal with in my own life than what we call the year or date. That alone is trivial.

That said, however, I think it bothers Christians (including myself) that it seems that unbelievers in society are adamant about removing every possible trace (even historical) of evidence that there was, is or might possibly be a God.

That, I find, kind of sad.
But there is still "In God We Trust" on the dollar!!

Seriously.. I do find it funny because its not like there was a Supreme Court case that outlaws anyone from using BC or AD. Anyone can still use it. If a cable show wants to use BCE.. its their perogative.

So I mean no offense.. I just don't see this as an attack or a persecution.

Let me see if I can make an anology..

You have one person who just recently lost their leg... and their friend says "gosh thats horrible.... by the way I've been having this ankle pain too so I kinda know what pain you are going through.."

Thats just the way I see it.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
But there is still "In God We Trust" on the dollar!!

Seriously.. I do find it funny because its not like there was a Supreme Court case that outlaws anyone from using BC or AD. Anyone can still use it. If a cable show wants to use BCE.. its their perogative.

So I mean no offense.. I just don't see this as an attack or a persecution.

Let me see if I can make an anology..

You have one person who just recently lost their leg... and their friend says "gosh thats horrible.... by the way I've been having this ankle pain too so I kinda know what pain you are going through.."

Thats just the way I see it.
Yes, I see your point! LOL! It's not exactly like we're dying for our faith or something. (real persecution!) Just the direction we're headin' that troubles me!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,880 times
Quote:
Attacked? YES! Every single day I feel attacked for just being a Christian. Why shouldn't I, when things are removed from my life without so much as a "kiss my butt" from some studio jerk driving his 500SL all over Malibu with a Bluetooth strapped to his ear, hoping that more people will watch a show or see a movie or buy a book as a result--all signs of the dollar and no signs of anything else. Yes sir, I am attacked, and on all sides, with everything I do and everything I am. Just saying I am a Christian here, in these forums, yields an entirely new type of attack, an anonymous one, with stones hurled at glass houses by people who simply don't care because they don't have to.
I'm sorry you feel so persecuted for your faith. While your Christian brethren abroad are being abused, tortured and imprisoned for their faith, you are likewise abused being forced to see these two and three letter combinations (BCE and CE).

Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Can we tone it down a bit here?

If someone feels sad or threatened by this, that's their right and it is their feelings, so we can't call them false.

If someone thinks it's funny that someone feels threatened by this, that's their right too.

Discuss the issue, not each other.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 03:34 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,386,627 times
Quote:
Attacked? YES! Every single day I feel attacked for just being a Christian. Why shouldn't I, when things are removed from my life without so much as a "kiss my butt" from some studio jerk driving his 500SL all over Malibu
So it would be preferable if these studio jerks would say "kiss my butt" as they stop using Christian terminology? Somehow I doubt that.

One thing I've learned from the city data R&P forum is this: Despite their best efforts, people are powerless to remove religion from others' lives.
Religion can clearly provide deep contentment and peace for the religious. Where does that peace come from? Their favorite TV shows? Words printed on their money? Is a religion worthless if the majority of people in your world do not share it? If so, that's a pretty weak basis.

How much time has been spent by Christians on anger, fear, and distrust of those who don't share their beliefs? However much, I will bet that it is a lot more than a studio jerk spends thinking about Christians.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:47 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,280,448 times
I can't say that B.C.E. is anything new to me. I was aware of it's being around for some time now. What I find interesting is that it could or would be perceived as any sort of "secularized" threat to people...And I don't say that merely due to my own "secularized" mindset and/or lack of beliefs.

You see, I can't help but wonder what has really changed. I doubt that anyone would deny the impact of Jesus on this earth and the accompanying impact on history. But more importantly, it would seem to me to be the impact that that holds in a person's life. No one has taken that away from anyone. I strongly suspect for believers, no one ever could. -And that, in my mind, is what's important: What that date signifies, represents, and how it translates in people's hearts and minds.

--Because if I'm understanding all of you correctly, that cannot be altered; that cannot be changed.

Nor should it.

They're just letters. Letters are not etched in your heart. Something else is...

Take gentle care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity