Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:43 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I heard somewhere that N. Korea is on it's own calendar based on something to do with Kim Jung Il.

Anyone know if that's true?

Good post, b. frank, and you are correct. Which was what I was trying to say earlier in that changing the 'call letters' really brings something to the top that wasn't there to start with.
Yes, that is very true Alpha. In fact, Japan is the same way. Their years start every time they get a new emperor. I think they are in year 37 right now??? I'd have to ask my wife, though. However, I know in Japan they all know how to tell years like 2007, 2008, 2009 etc.. because business dictates as such. Similarly, they do celebrate the New Year on the same day as us, which is based around the calculations of the Julian Calendar- which I always found odd.

As far as the OP is concerned, I have heard those terms used before but I never paid much attention to it. Personally, I could care less what they stand for. I always thought A.D. stood for Anno Domini or Year of Our Lord but I could care less if it stood for "Another Day". It's just an easy way for me to represent a massive change in cultural perspective throughout history. AD, BC, BCE, CE who gives a darn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 09:14 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Much ado about nothing

Old 01-12-2008, 06:39 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Frankly, one could wonder why Christians aren't more offended by BC (before Christ). Afterall, was there ever a "before" the alpha and omega?

Old 01-12-2008, 07:33 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Frankly, one could wonder why Christians aren't more offended by BC (before Christ). Afterall, was there ever a "before" the alpha and omega?
Interesting point. Maybe one day we'll call it: AECTTSATAG

Or:

After Everyone Came To Their Senses And Threw Away God

Ok, cheap shot.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:51 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Interesting point. Maybe one day we'll call it: AECTTSATAG

Or:

After Everyone Came To Their Senses And Threw Away God

Ok, cheap shot.
Not a cheap shot, for an atheist.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,951 times
Here is something else for you to consider.

Not only is there no year 0, BC/AD misses 33 years while Jesus walked this earth.

Consider this: BC begins with the birth of Christ. Should it not have began at conception?

For over 2000 years christians have stated time based upon the BIRTH of christ. Should we understand this to mean life begins at birth?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,951 times
Also, one more thing: BC began as "Before Caesar". AD as "Anno Domini", the year of the domination of the Lord. "Lord" was the title given to the highest office of the Roman Empire. AD refered to any year ruled by Caesar. At the time of Caesar, Christians were a small insignificant sect. The Roman Empire would never have attached the title "Before Christ" to something as significant as to the accounting of time. Especially considering Jesus was a Jew some called the King and for it was crucified for rebellion. Caesar was the true "Lord and Master" of the world. At the time, Christianity was mainly being promoted by Greece and spread from there. They began to refer to BC as "Before Christ". The greek word for King is "christos".

Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,235 times
I actually found this website to be helpful. My actual search for definition of Abreviations had nothing to do with BC/AD vrs BCE/CE . Actually in many of my science and natural resources researching, I have found this abreviation which is simply B P . Especially when it came to fossil or any other geological dating. Quite simply it means "Before Present" = B P . It appears to be a modern day way of dating for the present secular world. Here's a site I found.

The Signposts timeline and scientific dating systems OR What the heck do BC, AD, BCE, and BP mean in historical dates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity