Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:48 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Anyone who has a real relationship Christ understands the role the Bible plays in living out their faith.

This whole "Bible is an idol" nonsense is just an excuse to exercise one's own preferences and be your own god in lieu of dealing with who and what is in the book.
No, that's not true. Absolutely not true. For some mysterious reason, certain fundamentalists like to keep saying that, but it simply is not true.

I think it is quite the opposite. We who don't believe the Bible is the inerrant very word of God straight from his own mouth through the ink of the authors struggle MORE with understanding what God wants us to do. It makes us turn to God and ask Him for guidance and then listen and wait for the response, rather than flip frantically through the pages of a book looking for an appropriate verse to apply to a given situation. Sometimes the answer or part of it can be found in Scripture. Sometimes it's given in other ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:51 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

The same people who reject the Bible today would have rejected Jesus if seen \ heard in person.
If we were rejecting the Bible, you might have a point, but what is rejected is the position into which you place the Bible. Instead of a useful tool in the guidance of the Spirit that was promised in its pages, you have made it its own authority and restricted the Spirit to operating within its pages.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:56 AM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Has the bible become an idol?

Yes.
John 5:39 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:01 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Bibliolatry is quite common in Sola Scriptura Churches. But, what did you expect? They have ZERO tradition or history and quite often their ministers are not very well educated.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If we were rejecting the Bible, you might have a point, but what is rejected is the position into which you place the Bible. Instead of a useful tool in the guidance of the Spirit that was promised in its pages, you have made it its own authority and restricted the Spirit to operating within its pages.
Damn. Now why didn't I come up with that simple sentence that just say it so succintly? Alas, I must spread the love, nate.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:26 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Anyone who has a real relationship Christ understands the role the Bible plays in living out their faith.

This whole "Bible is an idol" nonsense is just an excuse to exercise one's own preferences and be your own god in lieu of dealing with who and what is in the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, that's not true. Absolutely not true. For some mysterious reason, certain fundamentalists like to keep saying that, but it simply is not true.

I think it is quite the opposite. We who don't believe the Bible is the inerrant very word of God straight from his own mouth through the ink of the authors struggle MORE with understanding what God wants us to do. It makes us turn to God and ask Him for guidance and then listen and wait for the response, rather than flip frantically through the pages of a book looking for an appropriate verse to apply to a given situation. Sometimes the answer or part of it can be found in Scripture. Sometimes it's given in other ways.
The idol theory gives people license to exclude what they don't want to believe.

If the Bible is NOT inerrant, then it has errors according to you. Who decides what those errors are? You?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

The same people who reject the Bible today would have rejected Jesus if seen \ heard in person.
The same people who embrace Jesus should have no need to rely on bible for guidance. Inspiration yes, guidance and authority, no.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:33 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I love it when someone says--THE BIBLE SAYS....

Yet not many will say--JESUS TAUGHT....or JESUS WANTS US TO....

Because it seems whenever someone uses the bible, it is 99% PUNITIVE

When they use Jesus, it is 99% COMPASSION and LOVE..

It is NOT WHAT WOULD JESUS DO
BUT, WHAT DOES JESUS WANT US TO DO.
A very astute observation, and this has been my experience as well in much conversation with a number of Christians.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
I have not read the article where the Op link lead's, because of my wanting english, but I can join in the Op, because I think, that peoples are too much like biblical christian's, than spiritual christian's today.

The Bible is good book, but just reading to it, the man do not grow to the perfection.
Thank you Mikko, I agree with that which you have stated. It doesn't matter if one can quote the bible verbatim if he/she does not have the love of God within and flowing out to others.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Has the bible become an idol?

Yes.
John 5:39 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
Thank you, Sparrow. True this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity