Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:01 PM

146 posts, read 300,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
*sigh*

Do you believe what's written in the bible or not?

Yes ____

No____

*sigh*

lol
This is the the over-simplified view too many people take. "It's in the Bible" is taken as automatic proof positive that it is correct. If it's not in the Bible, then it is either completely false or at least questionable.

This viewpoint simply does not bother asking the question, "What is the Bible and where did it come from?" It would be highly ignorant to assume that the Bible just dropped out of the sky one day, whole and complete, with a booming voice from the heavens announcing it as "God's only true word."

1.) The way in which the 5 books of Moses are written, it seems likely that the books in their current form are summarized accounts of the earlier works. At no point in any of these books, does Moses refer to himself in the first person. He is always referred to in the third person. If there ARE original works written by Moses himself, they those works are scripture.
2.) In the cases of Joshua, Judges, 1&2 Samuel, 1&2 Kings, and 1&2 Chronicles, we know for certain that they are combilations of the history of Israel. These were probably completed by Ezra, Nehemiah, or some other person from their time period. If original texts written by Joshua, Gideon, Samuel, Elijah, Elisha, Nathan or any of the prophets mentioned in those books exist, that's scripture. And you can skim through Chronicles and find MANY books mentioned that are not in our current Bibles, so we know that they must have existed at some point. If an authentic copy of any of them were to be found, that would be scripture.
3.) I believe the New Testament references the Book of Enoch, which is also missing from our current Bibles.
4.) We currently have the accounts of only two of the original Twelve Apostles about the life of Jesus, John the Beloved and Matthew. We also have the accounts of two other devout and important disciples, John Mark and Luke. I find it troubling and almost inconceivable that no other disciple or apostle ever bother to write anything on the subject, ESPECIALLY Peter.
5.) I get the sneaking suspicion that Paul and the other Apostles wrote a lot more letters and gave a lot more direction to the Church than we have currently.

The destruction of the Temple at Jerusalem probably resulted in the destruction of many works that should be a part of the Old Testament.

The reign of Diocletian and a number of other Roman Emperors probably offers some clue as to the fate of many works that would be in the New Testament if they had survived. During his reign, being a Christian was punishable by death as we all should know. But there was a loophole. If you revealed the location of any "inspired texts", you were given immunity and the texts were destroyed. We can thank many brave Christian martyrs for accepting death rather than give over the writings of the Apostles ... but how can we assume that some of them did not give in and comply?

Now, by pointing all of this out, am I somehow demeaning the Bible? No, I don't think so. I think that I'm using my brain and the guidance of the Holy Spirit to better understand the Bible. In so doing, I think I will be able to find greater light and understanding from it in my life.

It would be extremely foolish to parrot back the old and common phrase, "The Bible is God's only true word." This doctrine is not taught by the Bible.

Now relating to Father Johns question about why the Apocrypha and a gigantic list of Pseudopigraphorical works -- all of which were not included in the Bible. In the case of the Apocrypha, the Catholic scholars more or less acknowledges amongst themselves that these works were at least questionable. My readings of the Gospel of Thomas and the Book of Enoch leave me with the impression that they are the remnants of actual books of scripture, but that they have been messed with and changed by someone (or several somones.) The task of reading the entire Pseudopigrapha is a daunting task that I hope to complete eventually. Thusfar, the works I have studied seem to lack something -- but I do get the impression that a number of them are the tattered remains of a much-modified inspired work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:00 AM

90 posts, read 185,450 times
Uh, although some scholars claim that 2 Peter wasn't actually written by St. Peter, 1 Peter WAS written by Peter. Not sure why you're claiming he never wrote anything that made it into the bible?

I find it troubling and almost inconceivable that no other disciple or apostle ever bother to write anything on the subject, ESPECIALLY Peter.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:56 PM

146 posts, read 300,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_spirit View Post
Uh, although some scholars claim that 2 Peter wasn't actually written by St. Peter, 1 Peter WAS written by Peter. Not sure why you're claiming he never wrote anything that made it into the bible?

I find it troubling and almost inconceivable that no other disciple or apostle ever bother to write anything on the subject, ESPECIALLY Peter.
Of course I am fully aware that Peter wrote the epistles that he wrote. The point I'm making here is this.

Who was the foremost and chiefest of all the Apostles? Peter was. Okay, then, can I please read the Gospel of Peter? Nope, and there doesn't appear to be one.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 AM

90 posts, read 185,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder View Post
Of course I am fully aware that Peter wrote the epistles that he wrote. The point I'm making here is this.

Who was the foremost and chiefest of all the Apostles? Peter was. Okay, then, can I please read the Gospel of Peter? Nope, and there doesn't appear to be one.
You can't read it because he didn't write one.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
Translation: "The Bible is right because it says it is right."

Hmmmmm. I disagree and I am right because I say I am right.
Ha, ha. Circular logic is the favorite sport of the forum. Now you know that!

The Bible was written by men and it has errors. Nevertheless, it is a wonderful inspirational book and the teachings of Jesus are priceless. The OT is quite wacky and reflect the barbarism of the era.

NO wonder Thomas Jefferson published a Bible.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
A person who does not have the Holy Spirit cannot understand spiritual things. An unbeliever is incapable of understanding the things of God.
There is circular logic and there is the anti Socratic method.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
The Bible Is THE "Testaments" of those with God, and without God.

What was wrote of The Prophets saying, "Thus Saith The Lord"
was considered God's Word by Jesus and His Disciples.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 AM

939 posts, read 795,547 times
People have many doubts about the Bible- I used to myself. Once I experienced Jesus coming into my heart, all that changed. None of us are capable of total understanding of Gods Word, but that should not prevent people from believing. We see the wind, don't understand it, and yet believe it exists. If a person believes that God made the world, and raised the dead- then it stands to reason that He is powerful enough to make the Bible turn out the way He wants it to. Debating its authenticity is a waste of time- either a person believes through Faith, or they don't. No amount of arguing on here will change anyones beliefs.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:59 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
- When one's understanding is changed so is their 'beliefs'.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
The Bible Is THE "Testaments" of those with God, and without God.

What was wrote of The Prophets saying, "Thus Saith The Lord"
was considered God's Word by Jesus and His Disciples.

Circular again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity