Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:41 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
HUH?

Then these verses aren't Jesus' words?......

If being his disciple is to love one another then isn't that acting in love?
Blew me away too. I can't imagine what twin was thinking. I hope he will explain it because it makes no sense as it stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 11:45 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What Jesus DID talk about was acting in love in everything. Why are you making this so hard?
Problem is many are walking in Love and disobedience at the same time and you cant have both.
Jesus didnt talk about Gay marriage, but I still Love him, so it cant be wrong...That seems to be a common theme. There are many other examples too.

What I have pointed out is you cant disregard scriptures simply because Jesus didnt speak on a certain topic, when I pointed out most topics he discussed were due to the Pharisees bringing it to him and trying to trap him.
Ex: What command is the greatest form the Torah, then Jesus quoted Lev 19:18 & Deut 6:5 and said all the law and prophets are summed up and hang on those 2 commands.

Jesus himself said he wasnt greater than the father and he was here to uphold his fathers commands, so its time for alot of Christians to stop with the nonsense of: If its not in the NT, its null and void, when the NT was pretty clear its the animal sacrifices and ceremonial cleanliness stuff that was abolished and all the other moral stuff still stood.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:55 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Problem is many are walking in Love and disobedience at the same time and you cant have both.
If you walk in love, you won't miss the mark.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Jesus didnt talk about Gay marriage, but I still Love him, so it cant be wrong...That seems to be a common theme. There are many other examples too.

What I have pointed out is you cant disregard scriptures simply because Jesus didnt speak on a certain topic, when I pointed out most topics he discussed were due to the Pharisees bringing it to him and trying to trap him.
Ex: What command is the greatest form the Torah, then Jesus quoted Lev 19:18 & Deut 6:5 and said all the law and prophets are summed up and hang on those 2 commands.

Jesus himself said he wasnt greater than the father and he was here to uphold his fathers commands, so its time for alot of Christians to stop with the nonsense of: If its not in the NT, its null and void, when the NT was pretty clear its the animal sacrifices and ceremonial cleanliness stuff that was abolished and all the other moral stuff still stood.
It be impossible to do both.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Now we are getting to the root of the question. What makes a homosexual relationship "sin." You seem to think that God makes arbitrary rules just because it suits Him. I don't. I believe that God IS love, and the reason for taking any action (or refraining from an action) will always be the good (or harm) that will be done by so acting. I believe that Jesus laid out that rationale when He indicated that the basis for His "New Covenant" was the "New Commandment." I believe that Paul laid out that rationale when he said that for him "all things are lawful, but not all things are beneficial."

I believe that the only failure in regard to the biblical citations concerning homosexuality is that no distinction is made for appropriate relationships because the focus was on the wrong or selfish usage.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Does anybody really think Jesus had to repeat everything from the Old Testament in his teachings or else we can dismiss it? That would be a pretty odd expectation.

But yet, some of modern Christianity seems to believe : â€Jesus never talked about ________.†If Jesus never talked about [INSERT doctrine/traditional/conservative/disliked BELIEF], then supposedly it has no place in true modern Christianity– and it’s just man-made doctrine.

Does anyone really think that if Jesus didn’t explicitly, directly mention something, it’s not sin? What is sin and how is it defined? 1 John 3:4(KJV)
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law

Jesus didnt speak about homosexuality, beastiality, rape, child abuse, doing drugs, but that doest make them all okay. Jesus didnt even speak about Paul, but that doesnt mean Paul isnt legit. Jesus did speak about Sexual Morals and sexual immorality in general.

The Gospel accounts don’t pretend to record EVERYTHING Jesus said. We can’t say, “Jesus never mentioned XYZ.†We can only say, “The gospel writers didn’t include anything about it.†Each gospel writer included and emphasized different portions of Jesus’ teaching; they don’t claim to include all of it.
It’s silly to assume that Jesus mentioned every moral issue and theological truth, but he did specifically teach about his purpose in coming, the kingdom of God, and the central meaning of the gospel. So it seems reasonable to expect that the main things would show up coming from Jesus himself.

Jesus didnt come to a create a new religion, he was a Hebrew from the tribe of Judah by linage who followed and taught from the scriptures. If we take Jesus in the gospels seriously, we have to take the rest of the Bible seriously. Jesus, the Word of God, affirmed Scripture as the word of God. You can’t separate its teachings from his.

So saying “Jesus never talked about ____†isn’t a good argument. It doesn’t do much, but allow for false man made doctrines that go against the bible.
This is where genuine love of God comes in. You look for principles of behavior not hard rules and you can find them principles for everything in Scripture. Thsewho ignore cripture will do many things in "Love" but it is love of self, love of the world, not love of God or neighbor. Principles allow us to show what is in our hearts.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is where genuine love of God comes in. You look for principles of behavior not hard rules and you can find them principles for everything in Scripture. Thsewho ignore cripture will do many things in "Love" but it is love of self, love of the world, not love of God or neighbor. Principles allow us to show what is in our hearts.
When you can show that anyone here has been talking about anything but love as "concern for the well-being of anyone in any situation" you can make that argument. As it is it is just a baseless, meaningless mantra that is used to justify the perceptions you push about thr tules that you want to use to control others.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:46 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
HUH?

Then these verses aren't Jesus' words?

John 13: 34"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Mark 12: 32The scribe said to Him, "Right, Teacher; You have truly stated that HE IS ONE, AND THERE IS NO ONE ELSE BESIDES HIM; 33AND TO LOVE HIM WITH ALL THE HEART AND WITH ALL THE UNDERSTANDING AND WITH ALL THE STRENGTH, AND TO LOVE ONE'S NEIGHBOR AS HIMSELF, is much more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices." 34When Jesus saw that he had answered intelligently, He said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." After that, no one would venture to ask Him any more questions.

If being his disciple is to love one another then isn't that acting in love?
Never said it wasn't ... but then Jesus didn't say that (in caps) for the man to think of it as subjective pat on the back, but as if he attempted to do the "CAPS" it still is not enough, for that is what Jesus meant when he said:
"You are not far from the kingdom of God." ... "not far" is still "not in".
Jesus mentioning that to the man was to demonstrate the impossibility of doing the "CAPS" and despite even if one could do the "CAPS" perfectly, it still results in the "not far" which still results in close is not good enough. As Jesus said:
" a day is coming where ... those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned." ~ Jesus words.
Quote:
What Jesus DID talk about was acting in love in everything. Why are you making this so hard?
Point is as explained above "in everything" is required perfectly 100% of the time.
Thus the correct understanding is when Jesus "in everything" that even if you do .... "You are not far from the kingdom of God.

"the "love only" must be done "in everything" and even then you're going to come up short.

Last edited by twin.spin; 07-03-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 01:09 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
Paul's laws are not even gospel.
Jesus provided the Holy Spiit to teach in His place, and that is exactly what he does.
But Paul and men fallowing Paul ignored Jesus .
The Holy Spirit does not conflict with Jesus/God's law,
but it does make one significantly more responsible than old testament belevers.
Sin is the ABSENCE OF OBEDIENCE.
One cannot obey with out the tutelage of the Holy Spirit , hence fallowing the law alone, does not satisfy what God expects.
The academics of scriptures do not suppy all that God has to say to an individual.
Though some men that have no personal relationship otherwise claim.
Thought alone, does not constitute a relationship, nor being born again.
Jesus calls for repentence first , that is an abandonment of self Govern to the pursuit of God's govern.
Men holding on to their sin/self govern, will not know the Spirit tutelage from God .
Being obedent comes from a lifestyle of hungering and thirsting after righteousness Jesus taught.
Knowing what God's will is concerning one's lfe it what it's all about.
Does what I wear matter?
Sometimes .
Does what I eat matter ?
Sometimes.
I do not always ask on these type of issue , however, there have been event's it mattered, and being lead to move in a particular direction mattered .
Many that studdy scriptures do so on the coat tails of others ,and not through a relationship with God, hence these men taught believers have cherry picked theologies, much like Paul, picking what applies and what doesn't.
What men have taught ,take with a grain of salt .
Do you know what that means? Purify/filter it by examining/comparing what Jesus has to say about it. Jesus "God's word" is the salt.
The examination God is going to judge, is the influence in a man's life one has chosen. Matthew 7;12,22,23,
Falsely calling Jesus Lord, does not fool Him into approval.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
When you can show that anyone here has been talking about anything but love as "concern for the well-being of anyone in any situation" you can make that argument. As it is it is just a baseless, meaningless mantra that is used to justify the perceptions you push about thr tules that you want to use to control others.
And many want "Love" with no rules.

Genuine love of others also means you do not want a person to do what God objects to. To do otherwise would be unloving to God and neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity