Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:11 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is where genuine love of God comes in. You look for principles of behavior not hard rules and you can find them principles for everything in Scripture. Thsewho ignore cripture will do many things in "Love" but it is love of self, love of the world, not love of God or neighbor. Principles allow us to show what is in our hearts.
What part of these scriptures are fundamentalists practicing with regard to SCOTUS ruling?

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way;(the NIV says "it does not dishonor others) it is not irritable or resentful; I Cor 13:4-5

I've seen nothing but irritation and resentment from fundamentalists. Focusing on "sin" is not honoring God. Focusing on the best interests of one's neighbors, not one's self, does honor God. The SCOTUS ruling did nothing for me one way or the other, but my daughter-in-law's aunt can now marry her partner of fifteen years. That's good and satisfying for them. How does it "hurt" you?

I think fundamentalists are far more interested in being thought "right," than they are in putting Jesus' commandments into practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 07:42 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Good question. I haven't the faintest idea!
Whew...for a quick second I thought the fundies were on to something, then I looked around and remembered what LOVE really looks like.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:39 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Jesus did speak about Sexual Morals and sexual immorality in general.
Yea he did, to the bunch of hypocrites who thought they were squeaky clean, and he turned their own judgments upon things right back on them and left them in no doubt that although they looked like white washed tombs from the outside they were in a far worse state than those they judged and condemned. He did not come in condemnation of the lost but to show them a more excellent way of love....... Loved of God so that you love yourself so that you can love and serve your neighbor as yourself.

When will you fundamentalist love the world instead of condemning it?.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:46 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
HUH?

Then these verses aren't Jesus' words?

John 13: 34"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Mark 12: 32The scribe said to Him, "Right, Teacher; You have truly stated that HE IS ONE, AND THERE IS NO ONE ELSE BESIDES HIM; 33AND TO LOVE HIM WITH ALL THE HEART AND WITH ALL THE UNDERSTANDING AND WITH ALL THE STRENGTH, AND TO LOVE ONE'S NEIGHBOR AS HIMSELF, is much more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices." 34When Jesus saw that he had answered intelligently, He said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." After that, no one would venture to ask Him any more questions.

If being his disciple is to love one another then isn't that acting in love?
Jesus said that He loved the disciples as the Father loved Him. He said that He called the disciples friends by telling them all He heard from the Father. One can conclude that the Father loved the son by giving Him the word that gives life and that Jesus then gave it to the disciples. That is how to love others as Jesus loved because we all know Jesus was not pleasant to everyone as the bible has recorded.

"If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

"If you abide in me and my words abide in you ,you may ask what you will and it shall be done for you. My Father is glorified in your bearing much fruit and becoming my disciple."

If one abides in the word of God and remains in it they continue in His word and are truly a disciple who bears fruit as a disciple should and love others as Jesus loved those He taught.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:56 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus said that He loved the disciples as the Father loved Him. He said that He called the disciples friends by telling them all He heard from the Father. One can conclude that the Father loved the son by giving Him the word that gives life and that Jesus then gave it to the disciples. That is how to love others as Jesus loved because we all know Jesus was not pleasant to everyone as the bible has recorded.

"If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

"If you abide in me and my words abide in you ,you may ask what you will and it shall be done for you. My Father is glorified in your bearing much fruit and becoming my disciple."

If one abides in the word of God and remains in it they continue in His word and are truly a disciple who bears fruit as a disciple should and love others as Jesus loved those He taught.
And the words of Jesus were shared when he spoke of the TWO GREATEST COMMANDMENTS--

Love God

Love YOUR NEIGHBOR..By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old 07-04-2015, 07:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
What part of these scriptures are fundamentalists practicing with regard to SCOTUS ruling?

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way;(the NIV says "it does not dishonor others) it is not irritable or resentful; I Cor 13:4-5

I've seen nothing but irritation and resentment from fundamentalists. Focusing on "sin" is not honoring God. Focusing on the best interests of one's neighbors, not one's self, does honor God. The SCOTUS ruling did nothing for me one way or the other, but my daughter-in-law's aunt can now marry her partner of fifteen years. That's good and satisfying for them. How does it "hurt" you?

I think fundamentalists are far more interested in being thought "right," than they are in putting Jesus' commandments into practice.
Who said they are showing such love?

Focusing on sin is not loving, except when it is done in love to help a person break free from or avoid sin. Not helping them is showing a lack of love. Of course such aid is a one on one thing and I do not see that being done, just vocal temper tantrums by both extremes, Fundies and Liberals.

If you have ever read my posts you would know the SCOTUS ruling does not bother me at all, nor does it impact or hurt me. I don't care if the law says they can marry.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:49 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Who said they are showing such love?

Focusing on sin is not loving, except when it is done in love to help a person break free from or avoid sin. Not helping them is showing a lack of love. Of course such aid is a one on one thing and I do not see that being done, just vocal temper tantrums by both extremes, Fundies and Liberals.

If you have ever read my posts you would know the SCOTUS ruling does not bother me at all, nor does it impact or hurt me. I don't care if the law says they can marry.
That's very good then if you follow the law of the land. You are further along than many who see the world ending as a result.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:02 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The making of this being difficult is because for the fact he didn't.
Quote:
HUH?
John 13: 34"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
Mark 12: 32The scribe said to Him, "Right, Teacher; You have truly stated that HE IS ONE, AND THERE IS NO ONE ELSE BESIDES HIM; 33AND TO LOVE HIM WITH ALL THE HEART AND WITH ALL THE UNDERSTANDING AND WITH ALL THE STRENGTH, AND TO LOVE ONE'S NEIGHBOR AS HIMSELF, is much more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices." 34When Jesus saw that he had answered intelligently, He said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." After that, no one would venture to ask Him any more questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Blew me away too. I can't imagine what twin was thinking. I hope he will explain it because it makes no sense as it stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Never said it wasn't ... but then Jesus didn't say that (in caps) for the man to think of it as subjective pat on the back, but as if he attempted to do the "CAPS" it still is not enough, for that is what Jesus meant when he said:
"You are not far from the kingdom of God." ... "not far" is still "not in".
Jesus mentioning that to the man was to demonstrate the impossibility of doing the "CAPS" and despite even if one could do the "CAPS" perfectly, it still results in the "not far" which still results in close is not good enough. As Jesus said:
" a day is coming where ... those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned." ~ Jesus words.
Point is as explained above "in everything" is required perfectly 100% of the time.
Thus the correct understanding is when Jesus "in everything" that even if you do .... "You are not far from the kingdom of God.
"the "love only" must be done "in everything" and even then you're going to come up short.
What are you worrying about, Twin. Don't you trust Jesus that our imperfections will be covered by His perfection as long as we achieve some harmony with His perfect agape love for us all? Why else do you think He would admonish us to love God and each other EVERY day and repent when we don't??? We will need that cover or else we will reap what we sow. Try to understand this, Twin . . . the real "magic" is in agape LOVE . . . not believing the RIGHT things about Jesus and God.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
HUH?

Notice that they weren't New commandments?...

Old 07-05-2015, 06:14 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Notice that they weren't New commandments?...
Yes, Richard. as I have pointe out before' it is not "new" in the sense of not having been given before, but "new" in the sense that it is the "new" basis for a "new covenant."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity