Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 01:45 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When you infer things NOT said by others you reveal the inner you. You must believe you are better than those who do not believe as you do or you would not accuse anyone else of it.
I'm just referring to you telling us our views are barbaric. When you do that, it tends to make us think you believe you're better than us.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:22 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
1 Timothy 5:20 As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear.

For issues concerning the passage I posted, please take them up with He who inspired the writing of them. He doesn't need me to defend Him.

See also 2 Timothy 4:2, and the book of Titus
Let's see, my Bible study group is on Romans chapter one.

First Paul calls all of them SAINTS. Do you agree?
Quote:
To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Longing to Go to Rome
First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
Romans 1:7-8

Second, Paul WARNS them severely about SINNERS (OMG) that are everywhere:

Quote:
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and b unrighteousness of men, who 5 suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
Romans 1:18
He even lists what those sins are:
Quote:
For this reason God gave them up to o vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things p which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; ---
Romans 1:26-31

Just terrible, God awful sins!!! Wouldn't you agree?

But at the beginning of chapter two, we see who Paul is talking about--and it isn't THEM, it's the "saints" in Rome whom he accuses.

Quote:
You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment? Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.
Romans 2:5
Those same people Paul praised for their faith were involved in the same sins. Saved but sinful, right? It doesn't say "similar" sins, it says they are doing the SAME THINGS. He even calls them unrepentant.

I'm just pointing out the inspired word of God indicates that "faithful" Christians (saints) are just as guilty as anyone else. So don't feel so self-righteous about condemning others for what Paul states you do. If God could save you in your sin and while you remain a sinner, then He can save anyone for any reason at any time without conditions.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:29 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,789 times
Yep, agreed. I would also submit that it is probably the most uncomfortable thing you will ever do, confront someone you love about sin. Why, because you first have to look at yourself and realize what you have been saved from. Don't be so quick to claim that someone is playing the holier than thou card. I already said that four pages ago.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:34 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Let's see, my Bible study group is on Romans chapter one.

First Paul calls all of them SAINTS. Do you agree?
Romans 1:7-8

Second, Paul WARNS them severely about SINNERS (OMG) that are everywhere:

Romans 1:18
He even lists what those sins are:
Romans 1:26-31

Just terrible, God awful sins!!! Wouldn't you agree?

But at the beginning of chapter two, we see who Paul is talking about--and it isn't THEM, it's the "saints" in Rome whom he accuses.

Romans 2:5
Those same people Paul praised for their faith were involved in the same sins. Saved but sinful, right? It doesn't say "similar" sins, it says they are doing the SAME THINGS. He even calls them unrepentant.

I'm just pointing out the inspired word of God indicates that "faithful" Christians (saints) are just as guilty as anyone else. So don't feel so self-righteous about condemning others for what Paul states you do. If God could save you in your sin and while you remain a sinner, then He can save anyone for any reason at any time without conditions.
In other words what you are judging in another you are doing the same thing(normally the judger is blind to this).

Old 09-25-2018, 02:35 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Yep, agreed. I would also submit that it is probably the most uncomfortable thing you will ever do, confront someone you love about sin. Why, because you first have to look at yourself and realize what you have been saved from. Don't be so quick to claim that someone is playing the holier than thou card.
Of course, you are. You don't really trust God to confront people about their sin. You trust yourself.

No one ever had to tell me about my sins, neither as a lost person nor as a Christian. When I've committed sin, I have always managed to blame the devil---you know---the guy or gal you see in the mirror each morning.

I tell people God loves them, and trust God to do what He wishes with them. The single exception I make, is the same one Jesus made---fundamentalists who think the Bible is greater than the One to Whom it points. Those Pharisees need to get their eyes off words in a book and focus on the One in their heart---if He is there at all.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:38 PM

23,162 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Those Pharisees need to get their eyes off words in a book and focus on the One in their heart---if He is there at all.
Paul was a Pharisee and so were all the Jews who believed, they didn't stop being Pharisees. Paul tells us more than once that he is a Pharisee. The name ,'' Pharisee,'' has taken on a derogatory meaning for most, but it wasn't meant to be that way. The Pharisees were the ones who believed in the resurrection and so their belief came true.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:53 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Yep, agreed. I would also submit that it is probably the most uncomfortable thing you will ever do, confront someone you love about sin. Why, because you first have to look at yourself and realize what you have been saved from. Don't be so quick to claim that someone is playing the holier than thou card. I already said that four pages ago.
Did Paul judge a hole slew of people in Rom 1, and then say "do not judge" in Rom 2?

No. He spoke the truth in Rom 1, he did not attack any particular person, so he didn't judge anyone. That is what others are trying to do here, but every time you try, the judgers will throw rocks at you and accuse you of being judgmental, hater, bigot, etc. Ironically they end up being guilty of what they try to accuse others of.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:08 PM

178 posts, read 230,511 times
I would not see it as a worse sin than other but if you are a "Christian" just know that homosecuality is considered an abomination to God. What does the Bible classify as a sin? Is it only the 10 commandments or many other things.

Christians? From your knowledge of the Bible, if an individual commits acts of sins who is not claim to be a Christian and does not repent, (meaning having true feeling of repent from the heart), would you deem that Jesus would say he does not know them or does this apply only to people who pro-claim to be Christian? Can a Christian truly be a follower of Jesus accepting him as their Lord and Savior expect to get to Heaven even while committing sins and never repenting for their action/ thoughts?

Old 09-25-2018, 05:37 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
People sin, because they are sinners (all of us

There you go. It seems you mistakenly left out the remainder of what Finn said
The truth of the matter is, you cannot help but talk about sin, condemn it, especially in others because that which you label sin is your reality. If righteousness was your reality that is what we would hear from you, Finn Jarber, scgraham, baptist fundy, omega and all the other sin conscious minded bible approvers on this forum.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
It's IMPLIED, Finn. Stick with me ...you might learn something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber
Never crossed my mind. Not implied, it is something you weaved together on your own.
So, are you saying that you believe that homosexual people are 'born that way'? In other words, do you believe that their sexual orientation is an innate part of them that they have no control over? If so, where is 'the sin' in that, Finn? Is this any more a sin than heterosexuality being an innate part of a straight person that they also have no control over? Tell me your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Why else would professed Christians call homosexuality 'a sin' if they didn't believe that homosexuals are 'faking it'? They believe that homosexuality is wrong. For someone to be committing a wrong would require that they are intentionally violating a societal norm. Many professed Christians don't believe that homosexuality is innate. They therefore must believe that, since no one is born a homosexual, then homosexuals must be heterosexuals feigning homosexuality. They are therefore 'sinning'. Are you with me yet?
Quote:
No, I am not with you. As a matter of fact, it doesn't make any sense to me.
Well, you're right about the 'it doesn't make any sense' but I think you're applying that phrase to the wrong thing. It doesn't make any sense to condemn a person who was born with a tendency to be sexually attracted to others of the same gender. Do you believe, Finn, that people are born with a tendency to be sexually attracted to others of the same gender ...yes or no? If 'yes', then why do you go after these people with a book written by people who had NO CLUE about what 'sexual orientation' was all about? If 'no' then clearly you believe that homosexual people are 'faking it' and are therefore 'sinning'. Correct?

Quote:
Faking it? Nah People sin, because they are sinners (all of us). People have different tendencies. Some are prone to violence, some to substance abuse, some to having a foul mouth, some to adultery, dishonesty etc. Either you act on it, or you don't.
I'm not interested in the red herrings you list above. Let's stick to the topic. Do you believe that some people (known as homosexuals) are born with a tendency to be attracted to others of the same gender? If so ...WHAT, precisely, is their 'sin' that you keep talking about? Conversely, do you believe that those who are sexually attracted to others of the same gender ARE NOT born that way and are therefore feigning - for some inexplicable reason - being homosexual? Again, tell me your thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity