Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 01:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The issue lies in the idea that a customer cannot dictate what an artist says or creates in their work.
They can if they are paying him for it and he allows all customers to do so.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:36 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The word “freedom” is the most dangerous word in the English language, because one person’s “freedom” often means a violation of someone else’s rights.

Plantation owners wanted the freedom to own slaves. My employer wants the freedom to make me work longer hours for lower pay. Fundamentalist Christian preachers want the freedom to teach their religion in public schools. Corporations want the freedom to dispose their waste directly into the environment.

Freedom for the cat means death for the mouse. Beware the advocates of “freedom.” Always ask “what kind of ‘freedom’ are we talking about?”
Freak, this is perhaps the finest post I've ever seen you make. So often your post appear angry about your past, but not in this case. In fact, it shows just how much fundamentalists are "worldly"" in their demands for "freedom."

It brought words of the Proverbs to mind, which I freely confess are out of context yet still apropos:

Quote:
The intentions of the heart belong to a man, but the answer of the tongue comes from the Lord. All a person’s ways seem right in his own opinion, but the Lord evaluates the motives. Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established. The Lord works everything for its own ends – even the wicked for the day of disaster. The Lord abhors every arrogant person; rest assured that they will not go unpunished. Through loyal love and truth iniquity is appeased; through fearing the Lord one avoids evil. When a person’s ways are pleasing to the Lord, he even reconciles his enemies to himself. Better to have a little with righteousness than to have abundant income without justice.
Prov. 16:1-7

Those seeking the opportunity to treat others unfairly in the name of their god show that following biblical injunction is far from their hearts:

Quote:
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or empty pride, but in humility consider others more important than yourselves.
Philippians 2:3

Thanks for very fine words of admonition to us all.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 08-02-2018 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-02-2018, 01:38 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Freak, this is perhaps the finest post I've ever seen you make....

Old 08-02-2018, 01:43 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
The issue lies in the idea that a customer cannot dictate what an artist says or creates in their work.
The baker wasn't the least bit "Christian" about his refusal however. He could have offered to bake the cake and provided the materials to let the couple adorn it in any fashion they wished.

Would that have been offensive to your 'god' also?

Quote:
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or empty pride, but in humility consider others more important than yourselves.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:45 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
The baker wasn't the least bit "Christian" about his refusal however. He could have offered to bake the cake and provided the materials to let the couple adorn it in any fashion they wished.

Would that have been offensive to your 'god' also?

Right. So you're willing to bake a cake for a KKK member for their next gathering? Because you just want to serve them?

Old 08-02-2018, 01:47 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Right. So you're willing to bake a cake for a KKK member for their next gathering? Because you just want to serve them?
I would. I bet the Donald and Franklin Graham would love my cake.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They can if they are paying him for it and he allows all customers to do so.
The SCOTUS seemed to disagree.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:49 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:

Are we equating a Klan rally (a hateful gathering) with a wedding (a celebration of love and commitment) now?

Old 08-02-2018, 01:49 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The word “freedom” is the most dangerous word in the English language, because one person’s “freedom” often means a violation of someone else’s rights.

Plantation owners wanted the freedom to own slaves. My employer wants the freedom to make me work longer hours for lower pay. Fundamentalist Christian preachers want the freedom to teach their religion in public schools. Corporations want the freedom to dispose their waste directly into the environment.

Freedom for the cat means death for the mouse. Beware the advocates of “freedom.” Always ask “what kind of ‘freedom’ are we talking about?”
Quote:
Freak, this is perhaps the finest post I've ever seen you make. So often your post appear angry about your past, but not in this case. In fact, it shows just how much fundamentalists are "worldly"" in their demands for "freedom."

It brought words of the Proverbs to mind, which I freely confess are out of context yet still apropos:

Prov. 16:1-7

Those seeking the opportunity to treat others unfairly in the name of their god show that following biblical injunctions is far from their hearts:

Thanks for very fine words of admonition to us all.
Freak has the tendency to really nail it more often than not!

Old 08-02-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
For hundreds of years "conservative" Christians claimed homosexuality was not natural. Indeed many still claim that even though science shows us it is completely natural.
You really kind of completely ignored my question. Were you going to answer that?

I'll repeat it for you.

IF homosexuality is simply a natural thing, and therefore should be accepted, encouraged, endorsed, etc....

Why don't you accept cannibalism? For that matter, there are all sorts of other behaviors that are quite common in the animal kingdom that we tend to look down upon, as human beings. Your answer will affect how we should view those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.