Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 06:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,296,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You have a gross misunderstanding of the impact this episode had on Jesus. He bore the weight of the sin of EVERY person who ever lived, to the point that the Father forsook Him. He will bear those scars forever. Imagine taking the punishment of every criminal in history.

You need an imagination that disregards most every aspect of reality. I'm glad most of the planet can't go there.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:31 PM

10,104 posts, read 5,770,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You aren't doing your argument any good by comparing loving same sex couples with hoarding and living in filth.

Maybe you friend should just counsel the couples on their issues and quit trying to impose her own sense of morality on them.
Please show me anywhere where I made a direct comparison of same sex couples to hoarders.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:35 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,497,643 times
Happy Cells...don't even think about asking me out.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,296,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
...snip...

What is destructive about someone who is sexually orientation towards children? Homosexuality is a destructive lifestyle. It brings on more depression and suicide, gays tend to have multiple sex partners often with unprotected which extremely increases STD risks

There's a bogeyman in your closet and it looks exactly like you.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:46 PM

10,798 posts, read 3,621,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well, first you have ZERO I repeat ZERO evidence that there is no God.
You're correct. One can not prove a negative. You have no proof that Russell's teapot doesn't exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

If you prove that is doesn't exist, I'll use the same methodology on your god. BTW, you can't prove that Zeus, Thor, Freya, Mazda or Mithra don't exist either. Nor Vishnu, Isis, Horus or Loki.

Quote:
Second, I can see people as equal because I don't define people by their behavior or sexual orientation. It would be like saying hey see that fish eater there. Or meet Bob, my bank robbing friend.
Good to hear.

Quote:
In other words, you want her to compromise her moral beliefs.
No, I want her to do what she is licensed to do and studied for. Not to discriminate based on her personal beliefs.

Quote:
What is destructive about someone who is sexually orientation towards children?
Answered many times. Why can't you remember it?

Let's try one more time, just for old times sake, OK? (and Jeff wonders why people make fun of him!)

Sexual practices between consenting adults is the key. Children can't give consent, and animals can't give consent. You've been told that many, many times. What part of that do you know understand?

Quote:
Homosexuality is a destructive lifestyle. It brings on more depression and suicide, gays tend to have multiple sex partners often with unprotected which extremely increases STD risks
So they have more partners. Whoop-di-do. If the partners are consenting, what business is it of yours, or mine.. However, I agree, safe sex needs to be practiced.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:17 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,751,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What is true is truth. But that's really not the issue here, is it? It's the fact that some people disagree with you on a political issue. So they CAN'T be decent, loving people, in your mind.
But you falsely claim you “love” homosexuals while refusing them the possibilities you see for yourself—-sitting next to your spouse in church, eating social dinners at your church, holding church office, speaking from your church pulpit.

Oh, do you get to do that because YOU are NOT a sinner? Only the homosexual is? Your sins are forgiven but his or hers are not?

How can you say you love a homosexual as yourself when you expect privilege or rights you will not extend to them? Or if you remain a part of your “church” then you are supporting their hypocrisy.

For your edification, in the years I was a Southern Baptist up until the end of the seventies, I never once heard homosexuals denigrated by the church. Then Jerry Falwell appeared and decided anti-homosexuality would be the rallying of Protestants everywhere. It was he who determined to take religion into an active political role. One of his closest advisors begged him in a board meeting not to do it. But he did.

So, despite your ignorance on the topic, it was ultra fundamentalists who determined religion should be part of politics. Conservative religious leaders met in Colorado Springs in the early nineties to determine who they were going to elect to take over Congress.

You are both biblically and politically naive. You are another one of those just duped into thinking what your church says is “good” while any reasoning that your church is just another bloody hypocritical political institution is met by you with skepticism. And you ignore voices like mine who left your cult when I saw what was happening. And I was a licensed minister for the SBC. But when Falwell convinced them to preach politics above Jesus, I left.

Why haven’t you?

Last edited by Wardendresden; 10-09-2018 at 07:35 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 07:34 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,751,006 times
Quote:
You have a gross misunderstanding of the impact this episode had on Jesus. He bore the weight of the sin of EVERY person who ever lived, to the point that the Father forsook Him. He will bear those scars forever. Imagine taking the punishment of every criminal in history (ETA) and being a king.
That’s one way of viewing Jesus as a substitutionary sacrifice, but it isn’t the only one and not even the earliest view among Christians.

Try reading about Christus Victor (Greg Boyd has an interesting internet essay on this) and view Brucey Cavey’s YouTube video on the gospel in two chairs.

Penal substitution is the view that began to arise long after the early church.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:41 PM

20,465 posts, read 12,861,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
That’s one way of viewing Jesus as a substitutionary sacrifice, but it isn’t the only one and not even the earliest view among Christians.

Try reading about Christus Victor (Greg Boyd has an interesting internet essay on this) and view Brucey Cavey’s YouTube video on the gospel in two chairs.

Penal substitution is the view that began to arise long after the early church.
If that is true, why did Peter, who walked with Jesus, say this?

"For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit."

And Jesus said this:

“This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”

Old 10-09-2018, 07:44 PM

10,798 posts, read 3,621,104 times
Quote:
If that is true, why did Peter, who walked with Jesus, say this?

"For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit."

And Jesus said this:

“This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”
How did Matthew know what was said to Peter?

Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 PM

20,465 posts, read 12,861,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
How did Matthew know what was said to Peter?
Peter wrote that passage in his first epistle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity