Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 11:55 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,903,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28
Isn't sinning on a daily basis considered a "lifestyle?" Otherwise would one simply STOP sinning--unless of course they are "rejecting God?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
If anyone could stop sinning on their own, then Christ would not have come to sacrifice Himself for our sins.
Or, better yet, God (who made the rules) could have just forgiven everyone for their human discretion without Jesus ever having had to suffer crucifixion.

What do you think?

Quote:
You can play the wise guy if it makes you feel better. Neither your opinion nor mine will influence what God says.
You mean 'what you read in - or are taught from - the Bible', right? God doesn't actually say' anything. WE (those of us) who do read the Bible take from it what we will. Just as (I believe) was intended. Differing on beliefs is not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote:
As I said before, people take issue because they don't want to face up to their sin.
Which is your opinion that you previously said will not influence what God says. That said, where does "God" say that homosexuality is a sin? What is 'the sin' that gay people have to face up to?

Quote:
You can dislike me you can dislike Gods message, but our opinions and emotions don't change truth.
Would it be too much to ask you what 'the truth' is? I'm serious. I keep hearing that term bandied around all the time by people and I have no idea what they mean. The only 'truth' I feel the need to know is 'love your neighbor as yourself' and even that's difficult enough to accomplish considering some of the neighbors I've encountered in my time. ...

Quote:
Before I believed, I too made fun of believers and what they said- especially when it conflicted with my behavior or beliefs! That was MUCH easier than looking in the mirror.
I have never yet seen 'a believer' made fun of who was not one of the irritating crowd of hypocritical fundamentalists that run around pointing out the perceived 'sins' of others. No one whose fruits are recognizable by the calm and loving manner they present their Christianity to others will be made fun of.

Other than from Christian 'fundies', that is.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:29 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

And while I don't believe every single word in scripture is from God (Psalms is clearly David's thoughts and praises), God is speaking through the scripture. Jesus used the actual words from the scripture to combat Satan and the words of prophecy have come true sometimes in incredible detail. If you are going to say the Bible is nothing but writings of men who were inspired by God then you have placed it on the level of a Joel Osteem book.
Excellent point, but let's look at a third choice once again: I like what grandpa poste in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
The Bible and Information Theory

Modern information theory, which is applied routinely in the error detection and correction techniques used in electronic data transmission, can be applied to the idea of inerrancy in the information conveyed by the scriptures.

The Bible, by its own witness, consists of an ensemble of messsages emitted by its originator, God, into the noisy channel of human history. Clearly, its divine Originator knew the character and magnitude of the noise in the channel of transmission when He composed the messages in the ensemble. Equally clearly, He would have no difficulty encoding the information in this ensemble of messages in such a way that it could be inerrantly received by every intended recipient, in spite of the effects of the noise upon its individual message elements-that is, in spite of scribal errors, editorial or redactional emendations, or by any other occurrences that would cause the text viewed by the recipient to differ in some ways from the text originally committed to the channel of transmission
The point to me is that specifics in the Bible may not be accurate, or may be misunderstood, but the message of Jesus rings clear.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:31 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,920 times
Wow. Miss a few days and the thread explodes. Where are we? Has anyone asked yet why, if He apparently has no problem with sodomites, there is no mention of roles and submission, etc in say, Ephesians 5 and 6? Or by all means, if it is mentioned in there, please point it out.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:41 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm here to hold a mirror to fundies' bullying, bigotry, idiocy and lies.

And it pleases me that you don't like it.

Because maybe you're starting to recognize yourself in that mirror.

I only care for your sake. Otherwise, your responses are par for the course.

My mirror is Christ... not your erroneous standards.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:05 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I only care for your sake. Otherwise, your responses are par for the course.

My mirror is Christ... not your erroneous standards.
Indeed. Some people are so keen on exaggerating / magnifying faults in others they forget to look at the mirror themselves.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:18 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The same crowd with their mockery of God and the Bible basically said the same thing about this OP from three years ago:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...erversion.html

The difference however is that their hostility is now greater \ more personal towards anyone who points out what God said in the Bible that refutes their premise and as usual permitted.
You are right. I've noticed that many people that choose to reject God and His ways take it VERY personally when that is pointed out. They get very upset because they do not want to address their behavior and attitudes. I'm amazed at the hostility on here towards Christians.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
1 Corinthians 1:21 - For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.
Thanks for the support- we need to stick together. There are so many out there who not only reject God and His message- they are very hostile towards anyone that promotes it. God did tell us that this would happen, however.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So we should all sit outside your house and REMIND you 24/7 you are a sinner? Didn't Jesus say GO AND SIN NO MORE...why would one continue to sin after being told by Jesus to stop sinning?
When you decide to quit being a wise guy, and want real answers- let me know.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:46 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
You are right. I've noticed that many people that choose to reject God and His ways take it VERY personally when that is pointed out. They get very upset because they do not want to address their behavior and attitudes. I'm amazed at the hostility on here towards Christians.
The truth is offensive, so it is only natural the hostility is directed not only at the word/truth itself, but also at those who speak it.

Remember: 1 Peter 4:14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:53 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Anybody with a halfway decent libido shouldn't be consulting the Bible for sex advice. The Bible intended sex to be used for procreation only. Anything outside of the missionary position is a sin. If Christians were following the Bible to the letter you'd know it, as there would be a lot more Christians. So, next time you judge another person's sexual activities, ask yourself if your sex life ever veers off course. I think there are very few Christians who follow the Bible to the letter, but they do enjoy preaching scripture to the folks who couldn't care less.
I dunno. Go read Song of Solomon. The language can be hard to grasp (they talked funny back then), but that is HAWT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity