Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 06:00 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus never spoke of an all loving God.

He said As do I;

"The man who loves me will keep my words and my Father will love him and we will come and dwell within him."

"The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and my Father will love him and I will love him and reveal myself to him."
And lets not forget that Jesus comes back...
Revelation 19:11 Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. 12 His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. 13 He is clothed in a robe dipped in[d] blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. 14 And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. 15 From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.

Where oh where is the lowly Jesus, meek and mild, hair like a shampoo model with a lamb across his shoulders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 06:16 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It appears to me that the death of Jesus was brought about through human volition, given the political and religious powers of the day. Although at the same time, Jesus was fully aware that his message of love and what he represented to the status quo would ultimately lead to a violent death. Thus, his life was an issue in setting the captives free from the established sects of the day. But his death was not divinely foreordained as a penal substitution, whereas, there is no greater love than to lay one's own life down for that of another. Many are fixated on Jesus' death, and will accept nothing but the blood of Jesus, as "they know not, what they do." Although, there is only ONE whose undeniable innocence (not an ordinary victim) was able to change the process of scapegoating (a slaughterhouse religion, having a carnivorous diet). And, it’s a saving act of God; a victory over the powers of this world (men) and a defeat of death, reversing it through his Life and Resurrection. The cross may, indeed be, the centerpiece of the Christian religion, but it is not God's altar, or that of merely exchanging victims; bulls and goats for that of Christ as a substitution.

Forgiveness is an acknowledgement of a wrongful act, which recognizes the truth of the matter.
Jesus was handed over to His enemies by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God so that He could go to the cross and bear our sins in His own body in order to pay the penalty for them.
Acts 2:23 this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death.

1 Peter 2:24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
Jesus' death was indeed divinely ordained as a penal substitution, no matter how much you deny that fact.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:28 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
And lets not forget that Jesus comes back...
Revelation 19:11 Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. 12 His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. 13 He is clothed in a robe dipped in[d] blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. 14 And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. 15 From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.

Where oh where is the lowly Jesus, meek and mild, hair like a shampoo model with a lamb across his shoulders?
Notice the One sitting on the horse is faithful and true. This is describing not Jesus alone but all who are faithful and true that is why there are many diadems.

The name by which he/I am called is the word of God and His robe /my robe is dipped in blood.

I am the first and I am the last, the One who lives. Once I died but now I live forever and ever.

I am the faithful and true. Follow me and see the kingdom of God.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:35 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

[/font][/i] Forgiveness is an acknowledgement of a wrongful act, which recognizes the truth of the matter.
Bears repeating

Old 10-31-2015, 08:38 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus never spoke of an all loving God.

He said As do I;

"The man who loves me will keep my words and my Father will love him and we will come and dwell within him."

"The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and my Father will love him and I will love him and reveal myself to him."
Jesus DOES speak of an all-loving God: read the last few verses of Matt 5 again.....with comprehension.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:55 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
God's love does not compromise with sin.
Repentance must come first . turning from self govern to God's govern .

Old 10-31-2015, 10:30 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Jesus DOES speak of an all-loving God: read the last few verses of Matt 5 again.....with comprehension.
He is not speaking of human love. Think like God.He says to do those things so you will be sons of your Father in heaven but what does He say the son does?
He says; "The son can do nothing on his own he can only do what he sees his Father doing whatever the Father does the son does likewise for the Father loves the son and whatever he does He shows him".
But remember He says to abide and remain in His word, the truth, the word of God. So the son does the same words as the Father.

"Your thoughts are not my thoughts nor are your ways my ways. As high as the heavens are above the earth that's how high my ways are above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts."

(Father) "I have made known your name to those you gave me and I will make it known so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them."

Old 10-31-2015, 10:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Apparently the guy who wrote that article doesn't read much of the Bible.

No one comes to the Father except through me.

Ac 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.”

Jn 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
“I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.
You can't expect to be saved when you reject the Savior. You can't expect God to save you, when you reject God.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:16 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Apparently the guy who wrote that article doesn't read much of the Bible.

No one comes to the Father except through me.

Ac 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.”

Jn 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
“I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.
You can't expect to be saved when you reject the Savior. You can't expect God to save you, when you reject God.
What do you think comes to the Father mean? if you read your bible more you would see many in Jesus' day were coming to the Father...... Jesus said himself "if you have seen me you have seen your Father", and if you so called bible believers believed this your condemnation would be lifted and you will get a taste of age enduring life.

Why Jesus ?..............because we wanted to know how to know and recognize God...... well he's your man, for he represented the being of God in all his fullness.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:51 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
We all understand who the TOO SMALL A GOD is right? I realize we may not all be literature majors,but come on, we know metaphor when we read it right??

met·a·phor
ˈmedəˌfôr,ˈmedəˌfər/
noun
a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
"“I had fallen through a trapdoor of depression,” said Mark, who was fond of theatrical metaphors"
synonyms: figure of speech, image, trope, analogy, comparison, symbol, word painting/picture
"the profusion of metaphors in her everyday speech has gotten pretty tiresome"
a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract.
"the amounts of money being lost by the company were enough to make it a metaphor for an industry that was teetering"

The TOO SMALL A GOD is the image so many people have of God. The too small a god (in the box god) is a god of DEPENDENCY. The god so many wait on to bring about change, to answer prayers, and give life meaning.

The too small a god has become a stumbling block unto the very people who seek god in the most trying of times. Those of us who feel the overwhelming pressure to meet god's expectations and are constantly trying to appease god, quickly find ourselves clinging to any image of god that will bring us comfort.

Those who have read the stories of Holocaust survivors will remember the prayers of the Jews who were in the death camps and how they promised ANYTHING to god if only...

Elie Wiesel has said--

I was very, very religious. And of course I wrote about it in 'Night.' I questioned God's silence. So I questioned. I don't have an answer for that. Does it mean that I stopped having faith? No. I have faith, but I question it.
Read more at Elie Wiesel Quotes Page 3 - BrainyQuote

The answer to this question is too small a god. Those who insist on confusing this too small a god with God have also insisted that LOVE is not enough.

They FEAR the possibility that God is all inclusive. They FEAR the meek are just pawns and get run over, they FEAR being WEAK because LOVE requires we surrender ourselves to OTHERS--without expectation of REWARD or GRATITUDE.

Love tells us to just do it because it benefits another, not the too small god...NOTHING we ever do will benefit any God.

What does wealthiest person of the universe really require from mere mortals?

Does he really want our obedience?

Does he really demand our worship?

Does he really require our sacrifice?

The answer is an unequivocal YES---

But everyone of these MUST be done through LOVE

And we MUST, we have to, give that LOVE unconditionally to others.

Hope is like peace. It is not a gift from God. It is a gift only we can give one another.
-----------------------------Elie Wiesel

Read more at Elie Wiesel Quotes - BrainyQuote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity