Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 11:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
For you. The bible is your guide to everything in your life. Not so for others.

The bible has nothing to do with the fact my children are good, kind, human beings. How did that happen? They have not availed themselves of the bible. They have no knowledge of the commandments either. They are the finest human beings I know.

If we are innately hard wired for goodness, then nature and nurture come into play. Chemicals effect our behavior. Why not morals?
If we're all just a chemical reaction, and it's just natural....then how is it wrong to kill someone, in your worldview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Viz, you've said that you are innately hard-wired with a sense of right and wrong, and that everyone is. Okay. Perhaps that is true. And I believe that as we experience giving and receiving love - as love is "practiced" in our lives - we understand that love and a concern for others is the standard of "right and wrong". You seem to agree; everyone here seems to pretty much agree on that standard.

So ... what are you trying to get at here? What differentiation are you trying to make between what you are saying and what I or others are saying?
Look at the conversation I'm having with RonkonkomaNative. Is morality simply a chemical reaction that is present in the brain? Or is it hard-wired by God? If morality is simply a chemical process, then it's just a process of random chance evolution (assuming you believe in evolution) and no one has a right to declare anyone or anything "immoral".

Old 11-07-2015, 11:44 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Look at the conversation I'm having with RonkonkomaNative. Is morality simply a chemical reaction that is present in the brain? Or is it hard-wired by God? If morality is simply a chemical process, then it's just a process of random chance evolution (assuming you believe in evolution) and no one has a right to declare anyone or anything "immoral".

But your question was how anyone decided what was right or wrong. If we all agree that LOVE is the standard of morality, then why does it matter how we each come to that conclusion?

Old 11-07-2015, 11:45 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Your "logic," isn't.

And neither is your god-guru's.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:48 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,984 times
Quote:
If we're all just a chemical reaction, and it's just natural....then how is it wrong to kill someone, in your worldview?
I could no more kill another human being than I could spank a child. I am fully capable of both, but the thought of it is nauseating.

However, if the circumstances were such that my child was in mortal danger, the hormones in my body would turn me into a superhuman Mom, and protector. Once the Adrenalin subsides, I would go back to easy going Mom.

I am innately someone who protects and nurtures.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:59 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
This just stood out to me. No one has a "right" to do that in what sense? As a dictator? No, I agree. But we most certainly have the right to determine whether someTHING is immoral based on our common standard of love/keeping the best interest of everyone in mind. People who agree on that standard but find themselves in disagreement on whether or not something in particular is immoral can discuss how it does or does not meet the standard. That's our common ground. What more do you need?

Old 11-07-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Your "logic," isn't.

And neither is your god-guru's.
profound. Once again you duck and dodge. No answer? No problem!

Old 11-07-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I could no more kill another human being than I could spank a child. I am fully capable of both, but the thought of it is nauseating.

However, if the circumstances were such that my child was in mortal danger, the hormones in my body would turn me into a superhuman Mom, and protector. Once the Adrenalin subsides, I would go back to easy going Mom.

I am innately someone who protects and nurtures.
Good for you. But would it be immoral to do so? If your standard of morality is simply a chemical reaction, how can you suggest that anyone else is immoral to do it?

Old 11-07-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
This just stood out to me. No one has a "right" to do that in what sense? As a dictator? No, I agree. But we most certainly have the right to determine whether someTHING is immoral based on our common standard of love/keeping the best interest of everyone in mind. People who agree on that standard but find themselves in disagreement on whether or not something in particular is immoral can discuss how it does or does not meet the standard. That's our common ground. What more do you need?
What is this "common standard of love/keeping the best interest"? How did we get it? Where did it come from? Was it some cosmic rule book that fell out of the sky one day?

Old 11-07-2015, 12:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
profound. Once again you duck and dodge. No answer? No problem!
Says the Master of all questions and no answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity