Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 05:27 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
On this thread I am simply referring readers to what I have already posted on other threads in which I have provided information which scholars, including critical scholars who study in the area of Jesus' resurrection regard as historically valid. What you or anyone else do with that information is your affair. We're done here.
That's very affronted of you. But you didn't actually address the question. Maybe if you tried putting a response into your own words that would make it appear that you were attempting to actually defend your beliefs, instead of attempting to disengage. Why should we conclude that the story of the risen Jesus was anything other than a false rumor being planted by his followers? That was the obvious conclusion 2,000 years ago, and it remains the obvious conclusion today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 06:32 PM

33,249 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
That's very affronted of you. But you didn't actually address the question. Maybe if you tried putting a response into your own words that would make it appear that you were attempting to actually defend your beliefs, instead of attempting to disengage. Why should we conclude that the story of the risen Jesus was anything other than a false rumor being planted by his followers? That was the obvious conclusion 2,000 years ago, and it remains the obvious conclusion today.
As I told you, and for the last time, you are going to have to refer to what I've already posted on the other threads. I'm not making any attempts to defend my beliefs on this thread. That was done on the other threads. Now refer to them or don't. That's your decision and I don't really care. You're only wasting your time trying to get me to go over what has already been addressed on those other two threads. You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is. The links to those other threads are on post #4. Now that's it, we're finished here.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:42 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
As I told you, and for the last time, you are going to have to refer to what I've already posted on the other threads. I'm not making any attempts to defend my beliefs on this thread. That was done on the other threads. Now refer to them or don't. That's your decision and I don't really care. You're only wasting your time trying to get me to go over what has already been addressed on those other two threads. You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is. The links to those other threads are on post #4. Now that's it, we're finished here.
In other words, you don't have an answer.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:23 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Maybe he was kind of like Rasputin.

Or like Terminator in the first movie.

They both died a whole bunch of times so why not Judas?

Or maybe while he was hanging, he started swinging his legs really hard, the rope broke and he went tumbling down in mid-backswing so that his belly was exposed and he fell directly on his stomach and he couldn't break his fall because his hands were tied behind his back for the hanging and his insides split open.

Come on, the Bible has needed FAR more creativity than this, surely we can put our heads together and come up with something.

If you took your choice of the greatest 50 minds of this time, you could not write something on the level of the story of Judas. You keep talking of a science you don't know anything about. There are plenty of ways to bring doubt on a story in the bible, but what you have chosen is a story with a science around it and your thinking is like a catfish in a barrel that assumes he can't be caught, you haven't a clue.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 12-11-2015 at 08:02 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 07:40 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
There is NO evidence the 'supernatural' exists! I have probably had much more experience of what some would term the 'supernatural' than most people, throughout my life, and I still think there is a natural cause for everything, even if science hasn't yet caught up.
By natural cause, do you mean a "cosmic accident" or some kind of source?

Old 12-11-2015, 09:30 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If you took your choice of the greatest 50 minds of this time, you could not write something on the level of the story of Judas. You keep talking of a science you don't know anything about. There are plenty of ways to bring doubt on a story in the bible, but what you have chosen is a story with a science around it and your thinking is like a catfish in a barrel that assumes he can't be caught, you haven't a clue.
If you wrote a story like that in this day and age, you couldn't get it published, because it makes no sense at all.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:13 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If you wrote a story like that in this day and age, you couldn't get it published, because it makes no sense at all.
And yet you are here discussing it.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:11 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,599 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
You should not conclude anything you have no faith in. Nevertheless, the "story" of The Risen Christ is older than your unbelief in Him. Don't you find it even the least bit curious that Jesus never said anything "so that you don't believe"...rather, "that you might believe" ? The only obvious conclusion that remains as true today as it was yesterday is that Jesus Christ is risen from the dead...at least from my perspective. Why are you in a tizzy to speak your mind over what you conclude to be a rumor anyway? Is it preventing you from being at peace? Unbelief has a way of doing that I found out. Anyway, whatever your name is, I'm praying you're able to work all this out, and be reconciled back to God in Christ. And when you're in Christ my friend...you'll know it because He's always correcting you. Have a blessed day. Pass it on.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:05 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness
You should not conclude anything you have no faith in.
Why would you "conclude" anything based on nothing but faith? That is THE perfect formula for being deceived.

Quote:
Nevertheless, the "story" of The Risen Christ is older than your unbelief in Him.
True. I'm not 2,000 old.

Quote:
Don't you find it even the least bit curious that Jesus never said anything "so that you don't believe"...rather, "that you might believe" ?
Jesus never wrote a thing, so I don't know what he actually said. I have read the words placed into his mouth by various anonymous others decades after he was executed though.

Quote:
The only obvious conclusion that remains as true today as it was yesterday is that Jesus Christ is risen from the dead...at least from my perspective.
What valid insights concerning something that reportedly happened 2,000 years ago do you bring to the table? Or is it not true that you are simply regurgitating your lifetime of training and indoctrination?

Quote:
Why are you in a tizzy to speak your mind over what you conclude to be a rumor anyway?
Christians have been proclaiming the truth of their beliefs for some 2,000 years now. Have they been in a "tizzy" all of this time? Maybe it's about time to actually consider what it is they have been proclaiming. Or does that thought horrify you?

Quote:
Is it preventing you from being at peace?
I'm as much at peace as the next person.

Quote:
Unbelief has a way of doing that I found out.
Tell me about what you found out.

Quote:
Anyway, whatever your name is, I'm praying you're able to work all this out
Thank you.

Quote:
and be reconciled back to God in Christ.
I stopped believing the Christian story when I was thirteen years old. That was in 1961. It seems unlikely that I will change my mind at this point.

Quote:
And when you're in Christ my friend...you'll know it because He's always correcting you.
I must be doing exactly right all the time then, because Jesus has never corrected me once.

Quote:
Have a blessed day. Pass it on.
You have a nice day too.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 12-12-2015 at 02:21 AM..

Old 12-12-2015, 03:50 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,599 times
Quote:
Why would you "conclude" anything based on nothing but faith? That is THE perfect formula for being deceived.
My mother was declared brain dead for about 4 minutes while she was giving birth to me...and after 51 years, I still remember holding her hand, looking down at her body. She would tell me often of her faith in Jesus Christ, that it was him who sustained her to bring me into this world kicking and screaming. She would also remind me often that my faith in Jesus Christ will most surely sustain me when others kick and scream at me.

True. I'm not 2,000 old.
Since I don't know anything about you, then I can only conclude, based on nothing but faith in Christ that you're telling the truth that you have not yet completed 2000 yrs. of life.

Jesus never wrote a thing, so I don't know what he actually said. I have read the words placed into his mouth by various anonymous others decades after he was executed though. It is apparent that Jesus is the author and finisher of my faith.

What valid insights concerning something that reportedly happened 2,000 years ago do you bring to the table? Or is it not true that you are simply regurgitating your lifetime of training and indoctrination?
When I first heard the good news of God's only begotten Son, how that he was betrayed into the hands of sinful men, and was crucified, and died, and the third day rose again from the dead, I rejoiced in the knowledge of what God had so graciously wrought for me, a sinner...and I believed. If it's validation you seek to confirm your unbelief in what I know experientially is true...Jesus Christ is risen from the dead...I can't give it to you, because there is a great gulf fixed between us, so that you can't receive the truth of Christ's resurrection; neither can I wallow in the mire of your unbelief with you, though Christ raised me along with my mother from the grip of death to be alive this day to tell you about it. Sound familiar, or is the story of the dead man and Lazarus not insightful enough for you?

Christians have been proclaiming the truth of their beliefs for some 2,000 years now. Have they been in a "tizzy" all of this time? Maybe it's about time to actually consider what it is they have been proclaiming. Or does that thought horrify you?
I'm horrified by unbelief in Christ, as it suggest a dark spot where none can exist. The truth of Christ's resurrection was proclaimed in the beginning...

I'm as much at peace as the next person.
Peace is never truly peace...unless it's shared!

Tell me about what you found out. I was that lost sheep!

Thank you.

I stopped believing the Christian story when I was thirteen years old. That was in 1961. It seems unlikely that I will change my mind at this point.
Have you forgiven or been forgiven?

I must be doing exactly right all the time then, because Jesus has never corrected me once.
Have you ever been angry at someone you can't see?

You have a nice day too.
I asked you to pass it on...have a blessed day...to someone who deserves it. The saying is true...you reap what you sow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity