Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:14 AM

741 posts, read 444,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Construction began in Corpus Christi, TX on the largest cross in the Western Hemisphere. The cross is expected to be 210 feet tall and its construction required help of volunteer contributions to make it a reality. It is being erected under the guidance of Pastor Mike Rilby of the Abundant Life Fellowship in Corpus Christi. Apparently he has forgotten the wisdom of Matthew 6:6

America's largest cross begins construction in Corpus Christi, Texas - Houston Chronicle
“You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth." - Ex 20:4

“You must not make worthless gods for yourselves, and you must not set up a carved image or a sacred pillar for yourselves, and you must not put a stone figure in your land in order to bow down toward it; for I am Jehovah your God." - Lev 26:1

“Therefore, since we are the children of God, we should not think that the Divine Being is like gold or silver or stone, like something sculptured by the art and design of humans." - Acts 17:29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It seems vampires are not the only creatures offended by crosses.........
I have extreme dislike for the cross. Offended? No. I would rather wear a string of garlic. I can feed and flavor with garlic. Not so much a cross.

If Jesus were stoned to death it would be a large rock around people's necks. A come to Jesus moment for the faithful.

Jesus died a screaming ,tortuous, bloody death. That is what the cross represents. It has no connection to the life of an amazing person. The cross is an homage to the men and government who crucified thousands. Jesus was one of many on a cross.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:53 AM

741 posts, read 444,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I have extreme dislike for the cross. Offended? No. I would rather wear a string of garlic. I can feed and flavor with garlic. Not so much a cross.

If Jesus were stoned to death it would be a large rock around people's necks. A come to Jesus moment for the faithful.

Jesus died a screaming ,tortuous, bloody death. That is what the cross represents. It has no connection to the life of an amazing person. The cross is an homage to the men and government who crucified thousands. Jesus was one of many on a cross.
Indeed a sign of betrayal and glorifying the death of innocent people.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
I equate this cross with wealth. One million dollars worth of wealth. Jesus would never approve, and did not live his life seeking such ostentatious wealth.
What R said above. It's a piece of artwork, nothing more, and while I appreciate art as much as the next person, it's not what Jesus taught about. That's a lot of money for a church to use for a cross. For what?

Old 02-05-2016, 08:34 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
This was about 2 miles or so from my house in Memphis, at a church called Bellevue Baptist. The center cross is 150ft, and the two side ones are 120ft. Real good way to waste your money, huh?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:11 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's their money. But I can't help wonder how many poor people could be fed with that million dollars.
Perhaps it's possible to feed people AND build the cross. Why do you assume money is being take away from other ministries to do this? When my church renovated our basement, we did so because 1 person in the congregation donated some money and earmarked it for that. Her money was spent on ONLY that and she wouldn't have given it if we didn't use it for that. This cross is apparently being paid for by money that is earmarked specially for this purpose.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
I equate this cross with wealth. One million dollars worth of wealth. Jesus would never approve, and did not live his life seeking such ostentatious wealth.
You're assuming the church is building the cross to "show off". If that's the case, I would agree with you. But perhaps they are building it as a beacon of hope, to draw people to the love of Christ. In that case, it's worth every dollar.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:15 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
But think of the millions they saved by building a cross instead of a pentagram.
Are you being facetious? A pentegram is a pagan symbol. Paganism is a group of religions, none of which promote violence. The cross symbolizes a particularly brutal method of killing someone, Jesus in particular. Call crosses art if you will, but their symbolism is pretty morbid. Here is a link which describes the true meaning of pentagrams:

The Meaning Of A Pentagram

Old 02-05-2016, 09:28 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You're assuming the church is building the cross to "show off". If that's the case, I would agree with you. But perhaps they are building it as a beacon of hope, to draw people to the love of Christ. In that case, it's worth every dollar.

It is to show off. It is 250 feet high and represents the bloody, screaming death of Jesus.

Size does not matter when it comes to God. Men always want people to believe their cross is bigger, but women know the truth of such things. In reality their cross is very, very small.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:33 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
It is to show off. It is 250 feet high and represents the bloody, screaming death of Jesus.

Size does not matter when it comes to God. Men always want people to believe their cross is bigger, but women know the truth of such things. In reality their cross is very, very small.
You really don't know, do you? Have you see any quotes from the pastor or the church? Or are you just automatically assuming it? I'm sure you hate it when people automatically assume things about you...so why do you do this to others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity