Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 06:39 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I don't know but you can probably buy them from the same place you can get John the Baptist Shower curtains
And you are very good at making things up as you go along. You stated Jesus quoted a couple of verses?
You don't even know your bible. And you don't want to read it because it will tell you want you don't want to hear. And your lame excuse for not reading it? What? You would be a bible worshipper? If God didn't want us to read the Bible, why did He give it to us in the first place? Why did Paul write to a given church and tell them to have it read in all the churches? Why did Paul say to **study**? Study what? Study the Sacred Scriptures. That's what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 06:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
And you are very good at making things up as you go along. You stated Jesus quoted a couple of verses?
You don't even know your bible. And you don't want to read it because it will tell you want you don't want to hear. And your lame excuse for not reading it? What? You would be a bible worshipper? If God didn't want us to read the Bible, why did He give it to us in the first place? Why did Paul write to a given church and tell them to have it read in all the churches? Why did Paul say to **study**? Study what? Study the Sacred Scriptures. That's what.
Jesus rarely quoted the scriptures Euse and you know that to be true. He quoted it at the devil and the devil in the fundies who were in error of their understanding of it.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Jesus rarely quoted the scriptures Euse and you know that to be true. He quoted it at the devil and the devil in the fundies who were in error of their understanding of it.
This post says otherwise: http://www.city-data.com/forum/43019751-post145.html

Old 02-15-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Are you serious?, go back and see for what purpose he was using them..... Correct.... to chide the fundy for their unbelief and correcting them. Then the others were ones that were testifying of himself. They were not quoted by Jesus in the way you are promoting he used them. In fact nearly all the verses you are quoting were not spoken to his disciples, but to those who rejected him...... Yes, your fully paid up fundy. What's more in a 3 year ministry the total amount of verses he quoted could be considered just an handful, there are atheists on this forum I have seen quote the scriptures more often than Jesus did.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Are you serious?, go back and see for what purpose he was using them..... Correct.... to chide the fundy for their unbelief and correcting them. Then the others were ones that were testifying of himself. They were not quoted by Jesus in the way you are promoting he used them. In fact nearly all the verses you are quoting were not spoken to his disciples, but to those who rejected him...... Yes, your fully paid up fundy. What's more in a 3 year ministry the total amount of verses he quoted could be considered just an handful, there are atheists on this forum I have seen quote the scriptures more often than Jesus did.
Nonetheless, He quoted more than a couple of verses like you said He did.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Nonetheless, He quoted more than a couple of verses like you said He did.
Euse, in the bigger picture it is only a couple of verses. In fact as far as I know I never said a couple of times, I said he rarely quoted from them, and you have to agree that in a 3 year ministry that he rarely did quote them and when he did it was mainly for the purpose I stated.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Repeating the ridiculous all-or-nothing argument will not make it true. God is responsible for what God WILLS. WE are responsible for what WE DO on earth because we have Dominion by God's Sovereign WILL. Inspiration is God's attempt to communicate with us, but WE interpret that inspiration with our human intellect, beliefs and superstitions about God. In our hubris, we have attributed to God everything that we THINK God MUST be to qualify as our God. But God does not have to meet our standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No it is not. The Bible itself warns of lying Scribes and false teachers. The entire human experience is one of fallible and flawed behavior and thinking. Pretending that had no effect on the composition and contents of the Bible is just preposterous.
Absolutely. It is NOT a question of God's ability to protect the Bible. It is a question of whether or not there is the remotest evidence that He DID. Not only is there none, but there is ample evidence that He did NOT.
Thank you my friends. I fear it is a lost cause trying to penetrate the Fundashield that protects the Bible idolators.
Quote:
I imagine Mystic, like the Popes of old, would love to make it so we can't even read our Bibles so that the only way we can know anything about God or Christ is through priestcraft.
Not at all, Eusebius. The Bible is what tells us about Jesus, His status, how to dientify Him, What He would do, and how to validate Him through prophecy even after His death. It is also a useful chronicle of the spiritual evolution of our understanding of God up to the time of Christ. It also describes the New Covenant instituted by Christ, reveals the TRUE NATURE of God, and promises us a Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the truth God has now "written in our hearts."

What I would want to see is a realistic appreciation for the primitive mindset and lack of knowledge of our ancestors and the limits of inspiration and interpretation, instead of some magical nonsense about "God-breathed." Things were no different then than now as regards God-inspirations, except we are more likely to be able to interpret those inspirations correctly today with the aid of the Comforter and what is in our hearts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, Jesus, as reported in the Bible, promised us the Spirit as a guide to be with us always; do you trust what the Lord promised?
Clearly he does NOT, nate. He trusts the "precepts and doctrines of men" developed by our ignorant, barbaric, and superstitious ancestors about the status of the Bible.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
No, God never murdered anyone, ever.
So all those people he killed were not murdered. What were they, justifiable executions?

Old 02-15-2016, 09:57 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Thanks for the laugh... that was pretty funny.

There are dozen of instances where it is recorded that Jesus quoted the OT. And the does not count the references made to OT events like the flood and Jonah in the belly of a whale.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:50 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Interesting Warden, who is really the one that is blinded and is inconsistent ?

You believe you prayed earnestly for God to deliver you from a woman and testify that God killed her in a wreck (your sil) to keep you from having an affair with her !

Now what is wrong with this picture you are trying to paint here to the ppl ?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/42986850-post108.html
Good point. And others such as Jerwade, Mystic, DewDropInn, Nateswift, and others have argued that it couldn't be God involved with my prayer. And I have given credence to their arguments. At the same time the tragedy marks a turning point in my life--away from dogmatic religion and toward freedom in Christ.

I haven't totally got it figured out in 35 years. Since I'm sure a dogmatist will be able to come up with a good story, I'll be waiting on you to post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity