Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:36 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times

Advertisements

I got One blind man from Mark 10:46, name Bartmeus who is the son of Timeus inside Jericho .............in Luke 18: 35 one blind man inside Jericho..............Matthew 20 :30 there were two blind men when leaving Jericho .................Could be three blind men altogether one inside Jericho and two outside Jericho ..............I fact every miracle that came through Jesus Christ was different , and Jesus exercised a different words to God every time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 06:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
all stories have,Discrepancies.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:51 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If you were to discover that the writers of the Bible actually DID intend to have humor, then what would you say? Could you take the Bible so seriously from now on? I'm not saying that it is something to be ridiculed, but just to consider that it cannot be taken so seriously and so literally as fundamentalists would say that it should. Even if it was completely made up and did have intended humor, it would not negate the fact that the intended spiritual/psychological meaning of the stories was something to take seriously.
I do take it seriously, as I believe it is Jesus in written form. There may be humorous moments, but the message is the same. I'm not sure if I'm a fundamentalist, but either way- I wonder why this "label" is seen as "bad"? To believe in Gods Word does not make one judgemental or legalistic- that is a choice of our own free will.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:04 AM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Mark 10 - As Jesus is leaving Jericho, just before the triumphal entry into Jerusalem, he heals a blind man by the side of the road.

Matthew 20 - As Jesus is leaving Jericho, just before the triumphal entry into Jerusalem, he heals TWO blind men by the side of the road. Everything else is the same, including the responses from the man/men and the words spoken by the crowd.

Luke 18 - BEFORE Jesus enters Jericho, he heals a blind man by the road. Everything else is the same including the words spoken by the man and the crowd, except that it occurs before entering JERICHO.

John - The most significant event I could find around this time was Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.

Why are there so many discrepancies about this?
Seems obvious. Different people telling the same secondhand story.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:08 AM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
They were all the same event, but I would say it's a lesson on persistence. I think what happened is that a blind man saw Jesus and heard of him coming into Jericho, and while he was waiting for Jesus to come out the same gate, he had run into another blind man who had heard him calling out, and it was that Jesus was exiting that the two were healed but Matthew will be way more observant than other gospel writers and where we find a couple other discrepancies, it is usually Matthew being precise. The persistence of the one blind man made him stand out because he was much more colorful in begging even though people advised him against it and the other didn't stand out, maybe because he was not as persistent, and maybe there is something to be learned through persistency.

But whatever the answer, it is the same event, and there is a problem, albeit not much of a problem in my eyes, and when you find a discrepancy it is usually a good thing because you will find something that you might not have found otherwise until you really look at the story from all sides.
Interesting, Hannibal, and you made the point that what is not important is the story itself, but what we see in the story and what we learn from it.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:27 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Well thanks Queen.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:16 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes. Keep in mind that God still used authors to write it---it's not literally God-dictated. It's God-inspired. In any event, there is no contradiction, and I see no errors.
Anything that uses people as God inspired vessels is subject to errors. As much as you've read the Bible you cannot point to many "inspired men of God" who didn't commit some grave errors of their own. God appears quite comfortable using flawed men to perform great things---and you would probably agree EXCEPT when it comes to biblical writers where your view goes off in a way that is not illustrated in the very Scriptures you worship.

So what if there are errors? It makes Scripture more believable on the major issues as it shows no conspiracy took place---something perfection would undermine. Instead you create a version of a "Christian Mishna" by creating fiction stories to redact Scripture.

Redaction is the basis of all fundamentalist dogma regarding inerrant and infallible Scripture. Wikipedia defines redaction (in part) as:

"On occasion, the persons performing the redaction (the redactors) add brief elements of their own. The reasons for doing so are varied and can include the addition of elements to adjust the underlying conclusions of the text to suit the redactor's opinion---."

Your view is one that cannot see the forest for the trees.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-18-2016 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity