Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 12:50 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Pointing out that you are causing harm to others AND to yourself is only insulting if you take it that way. If our terms are emphatic from time to time, it is because you are so obdurate: you don't WANT to make the changes that would be required in how you treat people that you have decided are "sinning."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:35 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Truth was staring Pilate right in the face and like him you are to blind and stiff necked to see it. (He Jesus Christ) is the exact representation of all that God is..... The truth of God..... Meaning he is the reality of God. If your truth(reality) does not match up to the person of Jesus Christ, then your truth is your own truth and not the truth of God(Jesus Christ).
You call a believer and follower of Jesus Christ blind and stiffnecked for.. what exactly? For believing what Scripture says about Him? He is God, as the Bible clearly tells us, the Bible reveals to us the Person of Jesus Christ that He is indeed the Way, the Truth and the Life.. so what about me is blind and stiffnecked exactly? That I actually take the Bible literally to be the inerrant Word of God?

You, and others, seem to try to drive a wedge between the Bible and Jesus Christ, as if the Bible aren't the Words of Jesus Christ in which He is revealed and which He provided for us to live by. Remember what Christ said when satan tempted Him: man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

So if you love the Truth that much, if you love Jesus Christ that much, then why don't you love the letter that He sent us just as much? The Bible which Christ gave to us to believe in and to live by in humble obedience to the Father, to Himself through the Holy Spirit, in no wise contradicts His Person or His love. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it contradicts Him, it just means.. well.. you don't understand it. But that is where faith comes in.. do you believe that what the Bible says is actually really true? Not just the parts that fit your worldview or agape love theory, but all of it, simply because God said it? You should give that a try, the truth will set you free our Lord said.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:14 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
^Because we don't believe that the Bible is a "letter from God" or the only way Jesus Christ is revealed, and most importantly, that the words are the literal, inerrant words of God Himself.

I posted that simple, basic statement way back when you first created this thread. You are not expected to agree with it, but why do you still not understand that this is the point of view of many Christians?

Most of us who are not literalists once were, as you well know, so telling us to "try" what we found to be false makes no sense. Why don't you try to see it from our perspective? Again, I often feel as if I am shouting into a vacuum, but give it up for a few days. Close the book. Try to express yoyrself about your faith without relying on quotes from the Bible, but rather listen for God's voice in your heart.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:25 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
You call a believer and follower of Jesus Christ blind and stiffnecked for.. what exactly? For believing what Scripture says about Him? He is God, as the Bible clearly tells us, the Bible reveals to us the Person of Jesus Christ that He is indeed the Way, the Truth and the Life.. so what about me is blind and stiffnecked exactly? That I actually take the Bible literally to be the inerrant Word of God?
Actually, Yes. It is a preposterous belief promoted by ancient ignorance and superstition that flies in the face of everything we know and the contradictory evidence within the Bible itself!
Quote:
You, and others, seem to try to drive a wedge between the Bible and Jesus Christ, as if the Bible aren't the Words of Jesus Christ in which He is revealed and which He provided for us to live by.
Wrong. We try to validate what is true in the Bible using the standard of truth Jesus Himself unambiguously revealed - the TRUE NATURE of God as the Spirit of agape love. The Bible tells us ABOUT Jesus who IS the Word of God, but the Bible itself is NOT the word of God.
Quote:
So if you love the Truth that much, if you love Jesus Christ that much, then why don't you love the letter that He sent us just as much? The Bible which Christ gave to us to believe in and to live by in humble obedience to the Father, to Himself through the Holy Spirit, in no wise contradicts His Person or His love. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it contradicts Him, it just means.. well.. you don't understand it. But that is where faith comes in.. do you believe that what the Bible says is actually really true? Not just the parts that fit your worldview or agape love theory, but all of it, simply because God said it? You should give that a try, the truth will set you free our Lord said.
It is NOT the letter that we are to rely on because the "letter kills." It is the Spirit the Bible promised us as our guide to the TRUTH God has "written in our hearts." If you do not understand the contradictions, it means one or the other interpretation is WRONG. That is why we are to TEST the Spirit of everything using the Spirit of agape love. If you do NOT, you are blindly believing false and contradictory things and pretending that is a sign of your faith in God. It is NOT. It is just stupidly and blindly believing nonsense. God is NOT the author of confusion. If you do not understand, you do NOT know God or Jesus. If you do NOT know God or Jesus then you do not have eternal life.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually, Yes. It is a preposterous belief promoted by ancient ignorance and superstition that flies in the face of everything we know and the contradictory evidence within the Bible itself! Wrong. We try to validate what is true in the Bible using the standard of truth Jesus Himself unambiguously revealed - the TRUE NATURE of God as the Spirit of agape love. The Bible tells us ABOUT Jesus who IS the Word of God, but the Bible itself is NOT the word of God.It is NOT the letter that we are to rely on because the "letter kills." It is the Spirit the Bible promised us as our guide to the TRUTH God ahs "written in our hearts." If you do not understand the contradictions, it means one or the other interpretation is WRONG. That is why we are to TEST the Spirit of everything using the Spirit fo agape love. If you do NOT, you are blindly believing false and contradictory things and pretending that is a sign of your faith in God. It is NOT. It is just stupidly and blindly believing nonsense. God is NOT the author of confusion. If you do not understand, you do NOT know God or Jesus. If you do NOT know God or Jesus then you do not have eternal life.
I know all your agape love doctrine already, so I'll just leave that part. But no, when you don't understand a seeming contradiction it doesn't mean it's an actual contradiction or one of the two is wrong. Maybe you just don't understand how they both can be true, maybe God is more wise than you are? Maybe His Word reflects His wisdom and depth? Just because you or I don't understand it, doesn't mean it's any less true.

Example is, the Sovereignty of God and the free will of man. They are both true, but we cannot understand how they can both be true. People have tried and miserably failed through the centuries, but they are still both true. Other example is the trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are the One true God. They are three seperate Persons, but One in Essence and Nature. Can we fully comprehend this? I don't think so. And whenever we try to explain it we fail miserably, but it's still true and revealed in Scripture.

I am just wondering about the bolded part, in your view, what happens to those that do not have eternal life? What would happen to me when I die? I thought you were pretty much a universalist so I was surprised at that last statement!

Old 08-04-2016, 02:52 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:

You, and others, seem to try to drive a wedge between the Bible and Jesus Christ, as if the Bible aren't the Words of Jesus Christ in which He is revealed and which He provided for us to live by. Remember what Christ said when satan tempted Him: man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

Because you are ..... And you find it easy and acceptable calling me stupid for rejecting what you've been taught is truth..

Old 08-04-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Because you are ..... And you find it easy and acceptable calling me stupid for rejecting what you've been taught is truth..
At least thanks for confirming me as a believer and follower of Jesus Christ, that's a start

Old 08-04-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
What is truth? Or more to the point who said that he was ? Or are there 2 truths Or is your bible and Jesus the same truth No reply will be taken as you don't know.
Who said that satan was a liar when he told eve 'you will surely not die'? Well all of reality seems to point to it, everybody dies, don't they? I think we can be fairly sure in saying satan was lying there.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Who said that satan was a liar when he told eve 'you will surely not die'? Well all of reality seems to point to it, everybody dies, don't they? I think we can be fairly sure in saying satan was lying there.
What the heck

Old 08-04-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
At least thanks for confirming me as a believer and follower of Jesus Christ, that's a start
No, you're a bible believer.... That means as we say in England.... Bugger all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity