Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 08:32 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,088 times

Advertisements

i wouldn't call them irrelevant, even if they seem misguided from your perspective. There is obviously a tension between belief and faith that religion seeks to subdue or nullify, and you do not know that they are not sent by God to challenge your premises. Offense at a verbal attack becomes a tell on the state of one's heart. Granted, the attack is also a statement, but why return offense for offense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 08:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
VERY good post! There are many people on here who spend their day just looking for reasons to slam Christianity-
You should be asking why Christianity gives them so much ammunition.

Quote:
They would take great offense at a Christian posting on aetheist or non believers topics, ....
Speaking for myself but I'm sure that most atheist here would agree with me...I hereby welcome you to come to the atheist forum and challenge our beliefs (which is actually what we are doing here).

Old 09-20-2016, 09:00 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

As a last resort, there is an "Ignore" function on CD that allows one to simply bypass the posts of those who are only here to throw rocks - and add no substantive discussion... .
But what would be the "fun" in that? I'd end up with, what, four posters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No we are here to share the way we know and experience Jesus Christ, and predictably it rattles you fundies
Yeah, it would seem there are a whole bunch of ways to "know and experience" Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well trust me, that's not our intent.

Quote:
Speaking for myself but I'm sure that most atheist here would agree with me...I hereby welcome you to come to the atheist forum and challenge our beliefs (which is actually what we are doing here).
I would, but ...

Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
But what would be the "fun" in that? I'd end up with, what, four posters?

Yeah, it would seem there are a whole bunch of ways to "know and experience" Jesus Christ.

Well trust me, that's not our intent.

I would, but ...
Discussing isn't proselytizing.

I'm not an atheist but I know for a fact they're fine with anyone coming through and talking about whatever they wish.

Just don't bring your pulpit.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:14 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Discussing isn't proselytizing.

I'm not an atheist but I know for a fact they're fine with anyone coming through and talking about whatever they wish.

Just don't bring your pulpit.
ya, who objects to someone positing questions? It is those who insist they have found the answers that are insufferable.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:15 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Christianity does not, however some who call themselves "Christians" do.

Quote:
Some may wish to but others have no wish to give offense or receive it. Questioning anyone's belief is fine, attacking, denigrating, insulting, etc simply shows the one doing so has nothing of value to offer.

Look for words like ignorant, barbarian, etc and you see the ones who are a waste of time to speak with.

Oh and when claiming to be followers of Christ (A "Christians" as that is what it means) and using such terms, you see the ones who give the ammunition you are speaking of.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:21 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:

Yeah, it would seem there are a whole bunch of ways to "know and experience" Jesus Christ

I would, but ...
If the way we have discovered brings lasting and abiding peace, joy and freedom from the condemnation of being sin conscious so that we are God conscious, then I am always open to that. I tried bible fundamentalism for several years and brought me down rather than lifting me up.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Not to peach but to challenge our lack of belief. There is nothing to stop you doing that. Challenge is healthy, welcome and encouraged but if you come there just to scream that we are sinners and are going to end up in hell unless we believe as you do...well then, you are going to get it both barrels.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:02 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
Not to peach but to challenge our lack of belief. There is nothing to stop you doing that. Challenge is healthy, welcome and encouraged but if you come there just to scream that we are sinners and are going to end up in hell unless we believe as you do...well then, you are going to get it both barrels.
Thanks for that clarification. Maybe I'll go check it out ...

Old 09-20-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Questioning anyone's belief is fine, attacking, denigrating, insulting, etc simply shows the one doing so has nothing of value to offer.
The problem with most Christians is that they see ANY form of questioning or opposition to their belief as attacking, denigrating and insulting. Just look at Jeff if you want an example.

Quote:
Look for words like ignorant,...
Depends how it's used doesn't. When you have people like Vizio, Jeff and omega arguing against evolution when the clearly don't even understand the basics of it then it is perfectly acceptable to refer to them as being 'ignorant' [of the subject]...because they clearly are. I couldn't complain about someone calling me 'ignorant' if we were discussing building bridges because I am ignorant when it comes to bridge building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity