Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 02:24 PM

691 posts, read 422,203 times

Advertisements

me? revere the voice of God, and the scriptures are considered a record of that so is taken seriously for the value it was meant by God, to have not what i want it to have.

i want to read it more, but that wasn't the lesson taught by it. There is even a thing i saw in there to the effect that said to those who scour the scriptures will reap evil. and with books like revelations opening with " blessed is he who reads these words " or proverbs " wisdom hides her face from those who covet her" .. its like whoa.... read when God says to read.... right?

but prayer ...i hope to never cease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 02:31 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,390,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Again, He didn't have to because He, unlike you, said the HG had spoken (in the word) all about Him. The Spirit is not divided, but you want it to be so. Peace
Wrong you believe the bible is God our Father. Like a good fundamentalist i have pointed out to you that Jesus Christ without fail said His Father not the bible was his source, how is it you who claim to believe the scriptures cannot see this, not only not see it, but change it to make it say what you believe. They(the scriptures) testified of Him and not of themselves, and the testimony of them is God his Father was his source.
Why are you so resistant to the words of Jesus on who his source was?. You being the bible student that you are should also know that Jesus Christ rarely in his 3 year ministry referred to the scriptures. In fact you probably quote them more in a day on this forum than he did in the whole of his 3 year ministry. Talk about exalting the bible up over the one it testifies of, you are the epitomy of one who does this. It's a real shame, because i honestly believe if you let go of the view you have of the scriptures the veil over your mind would be lifted and you would be able to expound on the scriptures probably like no other can on here.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:34 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,070,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Wrong you believe the bible is God our Father. Like a good fundamentalist i have pointed out to you that Jesus Christ without fail said His Father not the bible was his source, how is it you who claim to believe the scriptures cannot see this, not only not see it, but change it to make it say what you believe. They(the scriptures) testified of Him and not of themselves, and the testimony of them is God his Father was his source.
Why are you so resistant to the words of Jesus on who his source was?. You being the bible student that you are should also know that Jesus Christ rarely in his 3 year ministry referred to the scriptures. In fact you probably quote them more in a day on this forum than he did in the whole of his 3 year ministry. Talk about exalting the bible up over the one it testifies of, you are the epitomy of one who does this. It's a real shame, because i honestly believe if you let go of the view you have of the scriptures the veil over your mind would be lifted and you would be able to expound on the scriptures probably like no other can on here.

Again, tell me who is talking here.....

Mar 12:36 - For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Act 28:25 - And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,

Luk 1:67 - And his father Zacharias (John's father) was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,

Luk 2:25 - And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.

Luk 2:26 - And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

Luk 12:12 - For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

Act 1:16 - Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

Act 5:32 - And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Again, tell me who is talking here.....

Mar 12:36 - For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Act 28:25 - And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,

Luk 1:67 - And his father Zacharias (John's father) was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,

Luk 2:25 - And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.

Luk 2:26 - And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

Luk 12:12 - For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

Act 1:16 - Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

Act 5:32 - And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
What are you trying to prove here ? that the bible is God the Father?, that the bible was Jesus' source?. Please take of your fundy tinted glasses and see what is actually saying instead of seeing what is not there. The bible, the scriptures, the written word, or whatever you want to call them, Jesus never once claimed they were his source, without fail he said his Father was every single time. He was not a bible quoting Savior he was a peace preaching savior who spoke what the Father gave him to say.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:27 PM

64,008 posts, read 40,312,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If only you loved God and one another more than the law. You undoubtedly will be "judged by the law" since you choose to love it and follow it instead of Christ's instructions to love God and each other and repent when we don't. When it comes time to reap what we sow, I am confident Christ's instructions will prove to be the wiser choice.
Quote:
His Word, His Breath. Always has been, always will be. You cannot separate the Breath, it IS His Spirit, it IS Him, the Spirit is NOT divided. Peace
::Sigh::
Quote:
I give up.
All we can do is spread the Gospel, using words if necessary, pcamps. Those trapped in the self-reinforcing misunderstanding of God and what He wants from us despite the clear and unambiguous description of the Holy Spirit and the demonstration of Jesus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What speaks to some, won't speak to others, and that's okay. I think that you do a great job of discussing, and your posts are always encouraging, to me. I love reading your perspective and I get a lot out of your posts. Thanks for all that you've shared.
Agree and ditto.
Quote:
Of cause Pleroo, most of what speaks to bible fundamentalists spoke to my prejudices and biases too when I was of a similar mind. Everything that you share says you have let go of those former prejudices and biases and moved onto a perspective of God that is viewed through the lens of love and that which builds up and not destroyed. The temple that I worshipped at that stood for so long, there is no longer one stone left that is on another.
Beautiful witness of your escapes from the corruptions of men, pcamps and Pleroo.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:02 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,303,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Could you go 2 weeks not reading it to spend time in prayer, contemplation and stillness or silence ?
Like an addict at the suggestion of giving up heroin or cigarettes for 2 weeks...
what was your reaction?
An easy, "Sure, I could leave it alone for 2 weeks and pray.''
Or a , "What!? How dare you ask me that?"

Does the Bible give you a high, an inspiration, a good feeling or could you feel all that
being alone, in solitude with God's Presence...or waiting for It?
Thanks
The last time I picked up that ancient book written by men was 1995. Since then my FAITH and UNDERSTANDING have grown exponentially.

Connecting with the Spirit is far superior to man's written words...

Old 09-02-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, but why would I want to? The secrets of the universe and everything in between have been "downloaded" into that just waiting on the "glory of kings to search out a matter."

Frankly, I'm a little intrigued at why it takes someone, anyone, sitting in silence for hours for Him to "show up". Myself and the people I hang with can pray in the Spirit and hear Him reply almost immediately. And since we're praying, we're never silent to begin with, except in the sense that it's the Spirit praying through us, not us. Peace
The silence speaks. Be still and Know

Old 09-02-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
The people I hang with can pray in the Spirit and hear Him reply almost immediately. And since we're praying, we're never silent to begin with, except in the sense that it's the Spirit praying through us, not us. Peace
What do you hear the Spirit say? Bible verses ?

Old 09-02-2017, 08:19 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,070,182 times
Quote:
What do you hear the Spirit say? Bible verses ?

Sometimes, and it also depends on the gift being utilized. Word of knowledge is meant to cause the measure of faith that every man is given, to raise up in order to receive from the Lord. It's not scripture, it's usually something only that individual would know, or at least something they know we don't know about them, and couldn't possibly. That's why it sparks faith, because they KNOW that info could have only come from the living G-d. Word of knowledge is what Jesus displayed with the woman at the well, and with the man in the tree. Tends to get someone's rapt attention if you can say, tell them about a conversation with their sister in their childhood home in their family room, and then describe the family room in perfect detail as well as what was said 10 years before.

Word of wisdom is always scripture backed principles to in aid in overcoming. And then a lot of times He just answers with a scripture, whatever question is asked. Sometimes only with a word. Sometimes He says things that cause you to want to study something you never contemplated before, like time. Sometimes He says things that are funny. He is, after all, a person. Peace

Old 09-02-2017, 08:28 AM

88,866 posts, read 85,274,311 times
No, I don't.

I attend an Episcopal church, so of course I hear the lectionary read when I'm there. A good clergy person can find a theme among the four readings (OT, NT, gospel, and Psalm) on which to base the sermon. I like hearing new ways of looking at something I've heard or read a hundred times before, especially when it leads to ideas on how to apply those thoughts to being a better person in the world we live in now.

I have known people who use the Bible as a sort of Magic 8-Ball, asking a question in the guise of praying and then opening the book to see where it falls. It's a sort of divination, and I have to admit I similarly see signs or messages at times in the natural world, but using a book that way doesn't resound with me. Generally use the Bible in that manner involves taking a line out of context and applying it the way one would like it to read, and that practice has lead to harmful consequences in history, as well as our own society.

One exception would be Psalms. Some of them contain beautiful poetry and lyrics, and I also have a CD someone gave me of Psalms being chanted. It makes for a good meditative aid once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity