Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:11 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Last I read 9,000 seems about right but it doesn't matter if there are 90,000 or 900 because, as peacecrusader said, we should be united in one faith.
Yea, ya'll should...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 11:16 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
And what was the primary subject of this divide.
Selling indulgemces.(monetary donations)
Oh but Halloween is as innocent as a security fund they say.

A Roman practiced sorcery.
a hope in mammon
Once when we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a female slave who had a spirit by which she predicted the future. She earned a great deal of money for her owners by fortune-telling. She followed Paul and the rest of us, shouting, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who are telling you the way to be saved.” She kept this up for many days. Finally Paul became so annoyed that he turned around and said to the spirit, “In the name of the Holy One Yeshua I command you to come out of her!” At that moment the spirit left her.

When her owners realized that their hope of making money was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the marketplace to face the authorities. They brought them before the magistrates and said, “These men are Jews, and are throwing our city into an uproar by advocating customs unlawful for us Romans to accept or practice.”

Like water flowing into the land that is

For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you took Me in, I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me,

I was in prison and you visited Me.’

Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink?…

Old 10-31-2017, 05:30 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
The Romans didn't like the early church which were made up of Jews. But they didn't like Christianity, they wanted everyone to be Pagan and to worship their various Gods. That is where the Christian persecutions came in and many Christians were martyred for their faith.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The Romans didn't like the early church which were made up of Jews. But they didn't like Christianity, they wanted everyone to be Pagan and to worship their various Gods. That is where the Christian persecutions came in and many Christians were martyred for their faith.
i imagine they didnt.
especially after they wouldnt pay a monetary tribute to the roman idols)gods both daily and anually

Old 10-31-2017, 05:36 PM

23,179 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Five hundred years ago this Tuesday, a German monk, Martin Luther, turned Roman Catholicism on its ear by posting his 95 Theses on the door of the Wittenberg Church in Germany, thus kicking off the Protestant Reformation.

The Reformation, 500 Years Later

From Wikipedia, in addition to other concerns of unbiblical Catholic practices, the theses

"...advance Luther's positions against what he saw as abusive practices by preachers selling plenary indulgences, which were certificates believed to reduce the temporal punishment for sins committed by the purchasers themselves or their loved ones in purgatory."

I guess we can thank Mr Luther for the pitting of Protestants against Catholics for the last half millennium, for the love of Christ.
That is not the only anniversary, Oct 31st 1917 is the day General Allenby began taking Israel back from the Turks, 400 years before, the Turks began to take Israel on Oct 31st 1517.

What Martin Luther did could not have been done at any other time because the printing press had been recently invented. It is an anniversary for Israel also.

It is also an anniversary for Leonardo Da Vinci who was the greatest biblical teacher of all time, and there is no other.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
That is not the only anniversary, Oct 31st 1917 is the day General Allenby began taking Israel back from the Turks, 400 years before, the Turks began to take Israel on Oct 31st 1517.

What Martin Luther did could not have been done at any other time because the printing press had been recently invented. It is an anniversary for Israel also.

It is also an anniversary for Leonardo Da Vinci who was the greatest biblical teacher of all time, and there is no other.
its gonna get ugly from here on out

Old 10-31-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post

A covenant of death in human sacrifice?
12 cheshvan
Yitzhak Rabin (1995)
Yitzhak Rabin, Commander-in-Chief of the IDF during the Six Day War and later Prime Minister of Israel, was assassinated on this date in 5756 (1995).

11 cheshvan
Passing of Methuselah (2105 BCE)
Methuselah, the longest-lived human being of all time, died at the age of 969 years on the 11th of Cheshvan of the year 1656 from creation (2105 BCE) -- exactly seven days before the beginning of the Great Flood. Methuselah was Adam's great-great-great-great-great-grandson and Noah's grandfather.

Rachel (1553 BCE)
The matriarch Rachel died in childbirth on the 11th of Cheshvan of the year 2208 from creation (1553 BCE) while giving birth to her second son, Benjamin.

Rachel was born in Aram (Mesopotamia) approximately 1585 BCE. Her father was Laban, the brother of Jacob's mother, Rebecca. Jacob came to Laban's home in 1576 BCE, fleeing the wrath of his brother Esau. He fell in love with Rachel and worked for seven years tending Laban's sheep in return for her hand in marriage. But Laban deceived his nephew, and on the morning after the wedding Jacob discovered that he had married Rachel's elder sister, Leah. Laban agreed to give him Rachel as a wife as well in return for another seven years' labor.

Rachel was childless for many years, while her elder sister and rival gave birth to six sons and a daughter in succession. Finally, in 1562 BCE, she gave birth to Joseph. Nine years later, while Jacob and his family were on the road to Jacob's ancestral home in Hebron (after a 22-year absence), she gave birth to a second son, but died in childbirth. Jacob buried her by the roadside, in Bethlehem; there, "Rachel weeps over her children, for they are gone [in exile]" (Jeremiah 31:14). Her tomb has served as a place of prayer for Jews for more than 35 centuries.

R. Nachum of Chernobyl (1797)
Rabbi Nachum of Chernobyl was a disciple of the second leader of the Chassidic movement, Rabbi DovBer of Mezeritch, and the founder of the Chernobyl dynasty of Chassidic Rebbes.

Last edited by pinacled; 10-31-2017 at 06:55 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 05:55 PM

8,948 posts, read 4,663,936 times
That, indeed, is wonderful.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:47 AM

8,948 posts, read 4,663,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
That, indeed, is wonderful.
Two threads got merged, so I want to say that my post was in response
to the video Baptist Fundie posted in #32. Reformation Polka.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:11 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity