Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 06:26 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,306,234 times

Advertisements

Five hundred years ago this Tuesday, a German monk, Martin Luther, turned Roman Catholicism on its ear by posting his 95 Theses on the door of the Wittenberg Church in Germany, thus kicking off the Protestant Reformation.

The Reformation, 500 Years Later

From Wikipedia, in addition to other concerns of unbiblical Catholic practices, the theses

"...advance Luther's positions against what he saw as abusive practices by preachers selling plenary indulgences, which were certificates believed to reduce the temporal punishment for sins committed by the purchasers themselves or their loved ones in purgatory."

I guess we can thank Mr Luther for the pitting of Protestants against Catholics for the last half millennium, for the love of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 08:37 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,334,032 times
FWIW, you might indeed just look up the "declaration on the way" on Google (or similar search engine) which the article mentions which a joint statement recently made by the Evangelical Lutherans and the Catholics outlining their basic consensus in certain matters of faith and doctrine----as well as differences--- apparently in the hope of advancing eventual reconciliation.

that said whatever good (and bad) came out the Reformation (AND the Counter-Reformation) and all the struggles, misunderstanding, and violence over so many years will hopefully be a stimulus for all Christians to stop fighting with each other and instead earnestly strive to encounter each other and everyone else with faith, hope, and love so that eventually all will be able to confess "one faith, one Lord, one baptism..."(Ephesians 4:4-6) to finally (with God's grace) achieve what Jesus prayed for: "...that they be one as We are One..." (John 17: 21-23).

in the peace of Christ.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 10-27-2017 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 07:39 PM

3,737 posts, read 2,568,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
the pitting of Protestants against Catholics for the last half millennium, for the love of Christ.
Corvette, hi..

C'mon, Luther wasn't trying to pit Protestants against Catholics.. He was trying to liberate Catholic parishioners from abusive church practices. Protestantism was the incidental result of Catholicism not reforming itself. My opinion, the Reformation was one of the most cataclysmic events in Western history, & freed a lot of people from a Catholic monopoly.

I'm celebrating the Reformation. Peace

Old 10-28-2017, 08:05 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,995 times
500 years later Christianity is even more divided with @ 9,000 protestant denominations and counting.

We haven't had one church, one faith, one baptism since 1054. It's going to be a long road back to unity.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:37 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,306,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post

My opinion, the Reformation was one of the most cataclysmic events in Western history, & freed a lot of people from a Catholic monopoly.

My facetiousness aside, I agree with this assessment 100%!

Old 10-29-2017, 05:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Corvette, hi..

C'mon, Luther wasn't trying to pit Protestants against Catholics.. He was trying to liberate Catholic parishioners from abusive church practices. Protestantism was the incidental result of Catholicism not reforming itself. My opinion, the Reformation was one of the most cataclysmic events in Western history, & freed a lot of people from a Catholic monopoly.

I'm celebrating the Reformation. Peace
We too are looking forward to the celebration. In fact I am sitting here trying to decide; do I go to church tis morning when I know i have a cold that I could spread to others because of the celebration, or do I sit at home and feel bad about missing this very special day to those of us who are part of the Lutheran denomination. We have watched the TV series on him, had another video (boring one) at church last Sunday and a wonderful article on him and the church, in our local paper yesterday.
and you are right, he never had intentions of pitting one against the other. This is like saying, any of us who have changed our religion wants to see our old one fail.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
500 years later Christianity is even more divided with @ 9,000 protestant denominations and counting.

We haven't had one church, one faith, one baptism since 1054. It's going to be a long road back to unity.
I do not call that divided, it is just a different way of looking at the entire picture. Just because one denomination sees something one way and another sees it a little differently doesn't mean anything. It is more practices we see differently than anything else. We are still one church united even if we practice in a different way.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:49 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Final result: no more Albigensian crusades. https://www.bing.com/search?q=albige...8e747185652d43

Old 10-30-2017, 10:16 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Five hundred years ago this Tuesday, a German monk, Martin Luther, turned Roman Catholicism on its ear by posting his 95 Theses on the door of the Wittenberg Church in Germany, thus kicking off the Protestant Reformation.

The Reformation, 500 Years Later

From Wikipedia, in addition to other concerns of unbiblical Catholic practices, the theses

"...advance Luther's positions against what he saw as abusive practices by preachers selling plenary indulgences, which were certificates believed to reduce the temporal punishment for sins committed by the purchasers themselves or their loved ones in purgatory."

I guess we can thank Mr Luther for the pitting of Protestants against Catholics for the last half millennium, for the love of Christ.
You don't seem to know much about Martin Luther. He was trying to save the church, not destroy it.

And, in truth, he likely did. The church of the time was so corrupt that it took an event like the Reformation for it to clean up its act.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:38 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You don't seem to know much about Martin Luther. He was trying to save the church, not destroy it.

And, in truth, he likely did. The church of the time was so corrupt that it took an event like the Reformation for it to clean up its act.
True, but it took an actually successful political separation to achieve that. Look into how widespread in the Church and successful in its aims the Benedictine countermeasure proved in the Albigensian situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity