Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 04:03 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,811,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wrong, Jimmie. Your determination of what is scripture inspired by God according to Jesus is what is dismissed because you do not test it against the Holy Spirit as described in detail and demonstrated by Jesus.
According to Jesus? LOL! You don’t believe half of what Jesus said, even cutting Him off mid-sentence!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 06:44 PM

3,220 posts, read 928,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If I were the source of the righteousness, your statement would make sense. But I'm not. Nothing I do makes me righteous, I do not make myself righteous. It is ONLY Jesus that makes people righteous.
Jesus never said anything close to that. Jesus was all about works. He said He was sent to testify the truth and deliver the good news to the people while doing God's will. Then He sent His followers as He was sent. Those He sent originally failed and there are many who follow them to their own destruction.

Reference;

"The reason I was born and the reason I came into the world is to testify the truth."

" I must go and proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the surrounding cities for this is why I was sent. "

"I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of Him who sent me."

Jesus said that the righteous would dwell in the kingdom of their Father. He never said that what He did made anyone righteous. He said to follow Him and use His words.

Scripture is clear that no one can make another righteous. It is Paul who has polluted and muddied the word of God.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,811,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Jesus never said anything close to that. Jesus was all about works. He said He was sent to testify the truth and deliver the good news to the people while doing God's will. Then He sent His followers as He was sent. Those He sent originally failed and there are many who follow them to their own destruction.

Reference;

"The reason I was born and the reason I came into the world is to testify the truth."

" I must go and proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the surrounding cities for this is why I was sent. "

"I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of Him who sent me."

Jesus said that the righteous would dwell in the kingdom of their Father. He never said that what He did made anyone righteous. He said to follow Him and use His words.

Scripture is clear that no one can make another righteous. It is Paul who has polluted and muddied the word of God.
Hmmm...are you sure?

Matt. 26:28

“This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.” -Jesus

Isaiah 53:5

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.

1 Peter 2:24

"He himself bore our sins" in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; "by his wounds you have been healed."

Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Hmmm...are you sure?

“This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.” -Jesus

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.

"He himself bore our sins" in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; "by his wounds you have been healed."
All those verse must agree, so the understanding cannot be gained from select verses.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,392,832 times
Christ's righteousness is not imputed or transferred, and you ain't getting a free "piggyback" ride.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 PM

3,220 posts, read 928,181 times
Quote:
Hmmm...are you sure?

Peter failed and did not understand.

The blood is honest blood, the flesh is true food. One must eat and drink.

The wounds must become your wounds.

He said to follow Him. You cannot follow if you believe as you do.

You misunderstand because you fail to accept and keep His commandments His WORDS.

One cannot live except by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

" Man does not live by bread alone but by every word from the mouth of God.

The man who comes to me hears my word and uses it.

My brother's mother and sisters hear the word of God and do it.

The words of the upright save them but the speech of the wicked is a deadly ambush".

Old 01-12-2018, 09:10 PM

436 posts, read 303,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
From the Bible:

9. Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men,

10. nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of
God. (1 Kor. 6)

So God is calling us to the path of righteousness, but if we are not in the path righteousness, we do not hear his call, because of the many temptations of this world, and our own flesh which fill our hearts.

We can not live in those sins and survive, it's a self-deception if we try, and it may give some hope for now, but not in the end when the truth only matters.
There is a difference between sinning and being a slave to sin. The difference is the saved versus the unsaved.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Sounds just a wee bit self-righteous huh?

Personally, I will take FORGIVENESS and GRACE over RIGHTEOUSNESS everyday of the month.
He said he is righteous thru the righteousness of Christ. It isn't SELF RIGHTEOUS but RIGHTEOUS Thru Christ This is the complete opposite of self righteousness

Last edited by Cyclist1968; 01-12-2018 at 09:35 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I did NOT say that. I referred to them as Christians. Go back and look. And yes, many Christians here dismiss large chunks of the Bible. The OT is a prime example. Paul’s letters also. Even Peter, who walked with Jesus.
then they are not Christians but imposters.

Just as most who claim to be Disciples of Christ in the bible, very few actually were.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:19 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,096,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
From the Bible:

9. Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men,

10. nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of
God. (1 Kor. 6)

So God is calling us to the path of righteousness, but if we are not in the path righteousness, we do not hear his call, because of the many temptations of this world, and our own flesh which fill our hearts.

We can not live in those sins and survive, it's a self-deception if we try, and it may give some hope for now, but not in the end when the truth only matters.
But then remember Paul came and turn the message of Jesus on its head and made path to Kingdom based on believe and not works.

So now, all you need to do is believe in Jesus to be your savior, and boom! And done and dusted. Kingdom is guaranteed !!

If I was alive in the days of Paul, I would ask him, "Why don't you now commit suicide and go straight to heaven if it's guaranteed based on faith alone?"

I may be wrong but I think some Christians believe that since heaven is now guaranteed based on faith only, so it's not too bad to be drunk and fornicate and do all those sins because, Jesus has already died for their sins. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity