Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 03:05 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The lying evangelical Fathers took what Jesus was saying here and turned it into a message of sheep being christians and goats being unbelievers who are damned to eternal punishment. Basically you better become a sheep cause look what happens to the goats. What i find most amusing is all the fundamentalist evangelicals making a song and dance about it all being about faith and here in Matt 25 Jesus is cleary doing the separating by good works and lack of them.

Is it any wonder you come across fearful
Jesus "knows his sheep" is used to separate themselves from the half-baked believers, or heretics.
They are very literal in everything they say and interpret.
Just like the "call no man Father" quote, which they use to decry a Catholic's references to Priests as Father.
Last comment, Faith alone means they are totally unfearful as they cannot lose their salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 03:06 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Work, is the key word there. More importantly, the works of the believer.

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him"
I do not follow the rewards and punishment theology of men.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:07 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Work, is the key word there. More importantly, the works of the believer.
"And without faith, it is impossible to please God because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him"
IF God wanted to limit the works to the works of the believer, He would have said so. YOU insert that qualifier, NOT God. God did not create us so we could be rewarded for believing and seeking Him. Humans seek rewards. God just loves us and wants us to love Him and each other, period. All the concern about seeking rewards and avoiding punishments are of human origin.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:23 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
No, Gods intentions do not depend on my view.

This is true, but you twist my words dishonestly. It is an unbecoming habit that reflects poorly on the ability of you and other evangelicals who do this to hold a discussion based on what people actually say.

What I said was that ones approach to interpreting scripture depends on ones view of God. The position of the UR folks is that God is too powerful and too loving to allow people to suffer eternal torment in hell, since God has stated He desires to save all men. Strangely , they are mocked and demeaned for believing in such a powerful and loving version of God. Your belief is that God will not get His way. Your reasons for why this is so are irrelevant, either God will save all men as He said He desires ,or He wont . Your view is that He wont.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:25 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
IF God wanted to limit the works to the works of the believer, He would have said so. YOU insert that qualifier, NOT God. God did not create us so we could be rewarded for believing and seeking Him. Humans seek rewards. God just loves us and wants us to love Him and each other, period. All the concern about seeking rewards and avoiding punishments are of human origin.

God set before all--Deut 30:19--- LIFE or DEATH both will be everlasting. 1John 3 looks bad for this earth. God is not fooling around. Jesus said FEW will find the road--This is why-2Cor 11:12-15, 2Cor 4:4

Old 05-06-2018, 03:33 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
IF God wanted to limit the works to the works of the believer, He would have said so.
He did.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
This is true, but you twist my words dishonestly.
You seem to have a habit of thinking people test your words no matter what they say. Weak.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:41 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
You seem to have a habit of thinking people test your words no matter what they say. Weak.

That you twisted my words is easy for all to see, so the only weak thing is your attempted dodge of doing so. You cannot show that I said Gods intentions depended on your view of scripture. If you want to claim you can, please quote the relevant post and highlight it.

You should seriously think on why you have to do things like this to craft rebuttals.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
You should seriously think on why you have to do things like this to craft rebuttals.
Its weak to always try to accuse others of something when your arguments fail. Making it about the poster is an attempt to deflect.

You said it it all depends on my view of God, and I told it is not so, and here you trying to make it about me.

Quote:
Your belief is that God will not get His way.
No, my position is that He will get his way, which John 3:16. See, how you just did what you accused me of......

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-06-2018 at 04:07 PM..

Old 05-06-2018, 03:53 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
No, Gods intentions do not depend on my view.
Quote:
This is true, but you twist my words dishonestly. It is an unbecoming habit that reflects poorly on the ability of you and other evangelicals who do this to hold a discussion based on what people actually say.

What I said was that ones approach to interpreting scripture depends on one's view of God. The position of the UR folks is that God is too powerful and too loving to allow people to suffer eternal torment in hell since God has stated He desires to save all men. Strangely, they are mocked and demeaned for believing in such a powerful and loving version of God. Your belief is that God will not get His way. Your reasons for why this is so are irrelevant, either God will save all men as He said He desires, or He won't. Your view is that He won't.
Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity