Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 07:45 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Usually when people cut and paste they post the link they got it from. I searched and came up with this for you source.

http://www.ukapologetics.net/17/atheisthate.htm
So I ran a search for that Huxley quote and came up with this link. It seems the quote is often taken out of context and twisted by apologists. It's here if you care to read it:

https://etb-creationism.blogspot.com...an-huxley.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 07:55 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
“The Language of God” was a pivotal book in my break from fundamental Christianity and a belief in YEC.

You know, I have so far found it kind of disappointing as a book of apologetics. As a book showing there is a way to believe that doesn't involve shutting your brain off, certainly a good one, since the writer is both a devout Christian and a world renowned scientist , and seems like a nice and genuine non loony Christian. But I was so disappointed by it as an apologetics book for God from a scientific POV that I put it down after one chapter ,it was so disappointing. I recently picked it back up and read more chapters, but it isn't getting any better (yet). So far his arguments can be broken down into 2.

1) humans couldn't possibly be good unless God programmed them that way
2) anything science doesn't (currently) understand we should just go ahead and attribute to God and be done with it

The arguments may be well received by Christians ready and willing to believe him,but they aren't very convincing to a skeptical reader. The questions he finds "unanswerable" by science I found rational answers to even as I was reading the words on the page .

I hope it gets better, but so far I am thoroughly underwhelmed by his arguments as to why there must be a God behind it all.

But as an example for non fundie Christians to follow, spot on. I believe he and C Hitchens were good friends until CH death , which shows a good amount of tolerance , compassion, and Christ-likeness.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:05 PM

1,183 posts, read 537,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Since you admit you cant explain it ( I can and will if you are brave enough to stay with the discussion) , lets start with this and move forward one question at a time.

Do you understand that humans and one branch of apes all have the same defective gene in the same location on the DNA chain that causes the same identical medical condition in humans and apes, that being a vitamin C deficiency?

Yes or no?
You understand there is zero evidence that proves evolution true? The leap you are trying to make is so incredibly large. Your dna is very close to a banana. And according to your logic we were bananas at one time.

A little off topic.. One thing you need to understand about (true) Christians. We are commanded not to lie. And on that note here is a Nice snippet about mutation

Identifying information-increasing mutations may be a small part of the whole evolutionary discussion, but it is a critical ‘weak link’ in the logical chain. PBS, Scientific American, and every other pro-evolution propaganda machine have failed to identify any evidence that might strengthen this straw link.
Creation.com

Old 05-03-2018, 09:18 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
You understand there is zero evidence that proves evolution true? The leap you are trying to make is so incredibly large. Your dna is very close to a banana. And according to your logic we were bananas at one time.

A little off topic.. One thing you need to understand about (true) Christians. We are commanded not to lie. And on that note here is a Nice snippet about mutation

Identifying information-increasing mutations may be a small part of the whole evolutionary discussion, but it is a critical ‘weak link’ in the logical chain. PBS, Scientific American, and every other pro-evolution propaganda machine have failed to identify any evidence that might strengthen this straw link.
Creation.com
close:

https://creation.com/refuting-evolut...are-beneficial

Old 05-03-2018, 09:36 PM

33,246 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:

Creation.com
Good grief! Creation.com is a young earth creationist site that maintains that dinosaurs were on the ark. It also denies the possible existence of alien life on other planets.

As for that command for (true) Christians not to lie, you just violated it by claiming that there is no evidence for evolution.

Of course, now that you are turning this thread into a debate on evolution, which is against forum rules, it will invite moderator intervention.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:46 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:

Creation.com
Here is a short video showing evolution in real time in the lab.

https://youtu.be/GHI45garS3g

Old 05-03-2018, 11:50 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The article does say atheists will call names when faced with someone who doesn't agree with them. It would be better to just present the other side instead, so people could have a discussion.

So I guess your boy in the WH is an atheist, since he name calls every single damn day.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
DeStefano: "Hitchens spent a good deal of his time in a Catholic hospital during the last year of his life, with priests and nuns darting through the corridors and crosses hung above all the doors. This is an important point to note because it means that up until the very end, the man who wrote that “religion poisons everything” couldn’t escape religious kindness. This ironic fact, predictably, was completely lost on his atheist followers. But it can’t be lost on us. Christ said that “Heaven and Earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.” The truth always wins out in the end. Christopher Hitchens was born with the very name of God imprinted on his identity — Christopher, after all, means bearer of Christ — and he couldn’t get away from the cross of Christ even as he lay dying. God always has the last word"
The very name of God is Christopher?

I'll be damned. I had no idea. I thought it was Yahweh. Huh.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
So if you were in a Muslim country and ready to die in a Muslim hospital and they, knowing you were a Christian, prayed for you in Allah name and hung up Quranic verses and Muslim trinkets you would think ah how kind they are or would you think how rude and insensitive to your beliefs in your dying moments they were.

The truth did not win out just because some nuns hung up crosses and indirectly mocked a man dying in their bed. How effing stupid.

This type of response is exactly why Hitchens was right about religion and religious morons.
Can't say how Opie would respond, but you're pretty close to the truth I imagine. As for me, I'd feel blessed just having someone pray for me, whether they called Him God, Yahweh or Allah, they all refer to God. Allah is an Aramaic word that means God, like Yahweh is an Hebrew word that means God. My Gynecologist is a Muslim, and I wouldn't trade him for a thousand Christian doctors. He's that good.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
In other words, you think people should be harassed with your religious persuasions even on their death bed? That is not Christ-like. What makes you think you have a right to pester people with your beliefs?
Good question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity