Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:24 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,146,555 times

Advertisements

Hi, thank for sharing. I am just trying to see where you are coming from, Findinghope. I think that when you say Christian, you are referring to what might be termed, fundamentalists for some (I think ). I understand what you are saying. Thanks again for sharing and God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-27-2008 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,029 times
Actually, findinghope is referreing to Evangelicals. The very outward and all encompassing display of their faith is a defining characteristic of the Evenagelical movement.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,146,555 times
Thanks, Lior Arel, I wasn't sure if it was evangelicals or fundamentals.

Fundamentalist Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
God bless.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Just thought it would be interesting discussion. If you know relgious history, you know that the Church as founded by Peter, Paul, and Mary (no..not the folk group..lol) is carried on today as the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox (also known as Greek Orthodox Chruch).
If you feel that these churches are no longer the voice of Christ on Earth:
The word of God remains pure no matter what, and if we follow our own hearts' interpretations of that and only that, we'll not wander into confusion. It's these pesky humans that cause all the problems!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:53 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The word of God remains pure no matter what, and if we follow our own hearts' interpretations of that and only that, we'll not wander into confusion. It's these pesky humans that cause all the problems!
Ah, but if I follow my heart and it disagrees what you come up with by following your own heart do you then decide that I'm being misled by something other than my heart? How do I know if we disagree that you're not being misled by something other than your heart? Isn't that why there should be an authority with tradition and methods to keep all on the right path?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
Ah, but if I follow my heart and it disagrees what you come up with by following your own heart do you then decide that I'm being misled by something other than my heart? How do I know if we disagree that you're not being misled by something other than your heart?
All things being equal I guess we would presume that we're both sincerely trying to see and love the Lord according to our own lights, then go back to the basics of the New Testament and agree to just love one another. And be serene knowing that time passes and people change. Or, they don't!
(in other words dont sweat the small stuff, and it's all...you know.)

Quote:
Isn't that why there should be an authority with tradition and methods to keep all on the right path?
That's the way it's supposed to be and in a perfect world that would work out. But looking away from the Bible and trusting another human being's or group of human beings' interpretation is one place where things can go horribly awry as we and the Devil all know real well.

</bossy know-it-all attitude>

Old 03-28-2008, 06:24 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,827 times
Quote:
Just thought it would be interesting discussion. If you know relgious history, you know that the Church as founded by Peter, Paul, and Mary (no..not the folk group..lol) is carried on today as the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox (also known as Greek Orthodox Chruch).

Where do you think the other churches get their authority from?

Do you beleive in all and only Apostolic churches?

Do you believe all churches are Apostolic?
Interesting topic, Lior! Just a few points illustrating what I believe:

The original Apostolic church still has authority.. but maybe we need to define what Apostolic (and original) really means. As TravisW mentioned, there are other churches than the RCC that claim apostolic succession.. but is it apostolic in the sense of unbroken lineage of church history only, or also undiluted (or added to) and original doctrine? The latter is much more important than the former.. and only then can the church have true authority. And where these coincide, it gives real meaning to Jesus' words: "The gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,717 times
Cool Better believe the church has authority

Quote:

Where do you think the other churches get their authority from?

Do you beleive in all and only Apostolic churches?

Do you believe all churches are Apostolic?
I believe that we are the church, and the church is not in a building, but the building is composed of members of the body (church) of Christ.
And do we have authority? In Jesus name we do and always will..
God Bless

Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,400 times
Jesus said "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation...." mark 16:15
that is why born againers "preach", cuz Jesus told us to.

Peter addressed a crowd and evangelized: Acts 2:38

Born Again (John 3:16) believe in the authority of Christ, not the church, not Peter.
the church should submit to Christ (Eph 5:24).
pastor: "of or like shepards", Peter was told to "take care of My sheep". john 21:15-20

I dont see how the Catholic church ever had "authority", I think it just got out of hand.

My pastor guides me, I guess a shephard does have authority over sheep, but I think the cathiloc church means to have a greater authority than just a shepard.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:59 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,400 times
Lior Arel can you give me more on your meaning of authority, Being a "protestant" most my life I'm not sure your meaning of the Church's "authority"?. I assume you refer to the Catholic church, how do they exhibit their authority?

would a Catholic please explain for me? I dont get it. Thanx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity