Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:15 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,612,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
While as a man Jesus had a beginning, as God He has eternally existed.
So jesus helped in deciding to drown everything instead of making a human appearance to fix things. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 06:51 AM

33,328 posts, read 26,530,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
So jesus helped in deciding to drown everything instead of making a human appearance to fix things. .
The flood story in Genesis uses exaggerated language for theological purposes in relating what was actually a local flood. . . probably the Black Sea Flood which while massive was still local. That flood is probably the basis for all of the ANE flood stories. The Genesis flood story is most likely a polemic against the other ANE flood stories. But this is off topic.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:55 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,612,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The flood story in Genesis uses exaggerated language for theological purposes in relating what was actually a local flood. . . probably the Black Sea Flood which while massive was still local. That flood is probably the basis for all of the ANE flood stories. The Genesis flood story is most likely a polemic against the other ANE flood stories. But this is off topic.
Didn’t god know all this when it was inspiring the writings of its rule book?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,942,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Did He ask her permission or just do it?...
Well, according to the book He tells her what is about to happen and she says something like, "Cool."

Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
I still maintain Christianity's biggest mistake was force-fitting the Jesus story into their adulterated version of the Tanakh. It just became too convoluted and silly: a god impregnates a woman to give birth to himself so he can sorta die 33 years later to atone for his own screwups when creating mankind.

It's a LOT to swallow. I had to spit it out in my teens.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:20 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,435,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Easy one, scholars weigh in..........
How Jesus is the Maker, but not God, rather a helper.
Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
OK we have a plurality here with the term "our". Fine how can we see an example of how this was done.

Easy.

1. Adam existed alone. God existed alone.
2. Adam was created by God alone as the singular "him" is used.
3. Eve came from Adam. Jesus came from God
4. ALL other human life came from Adam through Eve. ALL other creation came from God and through Jesus.

The "He" created them, shows who the creator is and it can only be one of the two as it is singular, thus God. Next we are told "man" (mankind male and female) was "made" in ... their image, thus someone else involved beyond Adam's creation. Now we are talking about both ("them"). The image would then include the difference between God, (not just sentience, etc.,) and the other individual who was one of the "them". A pattern for us to learn from.

That is why Jesus is the firstborn as Adam was the first human created by God.
KJV John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

NAS John 1:18 No man has seen God at any time; the only begotten God, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him.

That is why we are told:
KJV 1 Corinthians 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

ASV 1 Corinthians 8:6 yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we unto him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we through him.

This is why Col is to be understood as the Firstborn of all creation. He was as all other Creation came after him and through him.

KJV Colossians 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

He is the "image" just as man was created in God's image, but is not God. He is the firstborn "of" (genitive so belonging to the group) like Adam was thr firstborn human son.

The Bible makes it clear.

Prov 8:22 The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. 25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth: 27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth: 30 Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;

ASV Proverbs 8:30 Then I was by him, as a master workman; And I was daily his delight, Rejoicing always before him,

Clearly a person not just wisdom as a part of God, but a separate individual that came into existent at a point in time (God was never without wisdom he he would not be ... God" and was by Him, helping Him as a ... "master workman".

The reality of two beings is found all through scripture with Jesus coming before God, sitting at His right hand, being subject to him, etc.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:20 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,077,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, according to the book He tells her what is about to happen and she says something like, "Cool."
Uh huh, sure she did...

Old 05-21-2018, 10:30 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,942,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Uh huh, sure she did...
Well, the story goes like this: 35The angel replied, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the Holy One to be bornb will be called the Son of God. 36Look, even Elizabeth your relative has conceived a son in her old age, and she who was called barren is in her sixth month. 37For nothing will be impossible with God.”

38“I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May it happen to me according to your word.” Then the angel left her." Luke 1 Berean Study Bible.

That's the story.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:27 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,405,072 times
While the OP's question risks a long mess of a theological debate, the easiest answer to his precise question would be: no, Christ was not created.

That is, he is not a creature of god. Which, after thought, should be obvious to Christians who believe him to be God. By definition, a creature (object of creation) cannot be God.

Christ was not created as a reflection of God, as Adam was. Adam was a creature of God's creation. Instead, Christ is God's literal son.

Last edited by golgi1; 05-21-2018 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 04:41 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,405,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I still maintain Christianity's biggest mistake was force-fitting the Jesus story into their adulterated version of the Tanakh. It just became too convoluted and silly: a god impregnates a woman to give birth to himself so he can sorta die 33 years later to atone for his own screwups when creating mankind.
It's not an "adulterated version of the Tanakh". Its a completely new book.

Quote:
It's a LOT to swallow. I had to spit it out in my teens.
I admit that its esoteric. But so is all religion and myth. The issue for most people, like yourself, is that you are unclear in regard to the meaning. I understand.

Last edited by golgi1; 05-21-2018 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity