Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 03:52 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,019,505 times

Advertisements

Peter Miller

Peter Miller was a plain Baptist preacher of Pennsylvania, in the days of the Revolutionary War.

Near his church, lived a man who maligned the pastor to the last degree.

The man became involved in treason and was arrested and sentenced to be hanged.

The preacher, Peter Miller, started out on foot and walked the entire way to Philadelphia roughly seventy miles away to plead for the man’s life.

George Washington heard his plea, but he said, “No, your plea for your friend cannot be granted.”

“My friend!” said the preacher. “He is the worst enemy I have.”

What!” said Washington, “you have walked nearly seventy miles to save the life of an enemy?

That puts the matter in a different light. I will grant the pardon.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 09:32 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
My Mom & Dad were married in 1943 while my Dad was home on leave from the Marine Corp. My Dad got home for good in 1945 and they tried to start their family. No babies came for 5 years other than one miscarriage.

They had kind of given up and were ready to be childless. They were on their way to church when they saw an elderly woman walking along the road. They stopped and offered her a ride. She was going to church so they offered to bring her along.

So they went to the Catholic Church for mass. After church the priest was outside shaking hands and greeting the parishioners when he shook the old woman’s hand she whispered something to him and the priest started crying and gave her a big hug.

So that kind of blew them away but they didn’t want to ask any personal questions. So they offered to drive her home. My Dad asked her where she lives and she said “in my Father’s house”

Well, that didn’t help much so Dad just drove out to where they picked her up. She said she would just get out there. My Dad said there’s nothing around here, I can drive you home. She didn’t say anything other than take my mother’s hand and say “you are going to have a baby everything is going to be ok”

So she got out and they started driving away. My Dad turns around to look at her but she’s gone. He said you could see for a mile in every direction but she was gone.

My Dad was the most No nonsense guy you could ever meet, believe me and he always didn’t go along with my Mom’s stories but this one he said was real.
Sure enough my Mom turned out to be pregnant and had a healthy baby boy. And then went on to have 8 more healthy babies.

My Mom and Dad struggled most of their lives financially with the changing farm economy so we didn’t even have health insurance. In all those years even with working on the farm none of us had a serious injury or illness.

They were absolutely convinced they were visited by St Ann in response to their prayers.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:03 AM

Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at a hospital, I got to know a little girl named Liz who was suffering from a rare & serious disease.

Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood transfusion from her 5-year old brother, who had miraculously survived the same disease and had developed the antibodies needed to combat the illness.

The doctor explained the situation to her little brother, and asked the little boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his sister.

I saw him hesitate for only a moment before taking a deep breath and saying, "Yes I'll do it if it will save her."

As the transfusion progressed, he lay in bed next to his sister and smiled, as we all did, seeing the color returning to her cheek. Then his face grew pale and his smile faded.

He looked up at the doctor and asked with a trembling voice, "Will I die right away, or how soon?"

The boy had misunderstood the doctor; he thought he would have to give his sister all of his blood in order to save her.

Note

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...ion-confusion/

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 06-10-2022 at 07:12 AM..

Old 06-10-2022, 09:33 AM

Tsunami

Surrounded by her loving family as she relaxed by the pool on a dream holiday, Maria Belon felt she must be the luckiest woman in the world.

Seconds later, Maria and her terrified husband and three sons were swept away by a ferocious 30 foot wall of water that devoured everything in its path.

Maria was horrifically wounded as she was dragged under water by the devastating Indian Ocean tsunami of Boxing Day 2004.

After being submerged for more than three minutes, she finally surfaced and clung on to a tree.

She was petrified, alone and convinced she was dying – but in a miracle that has inspired new film The Impossible, the mum and her family survived.

Moments before paradise was smashed to bits, Maria was on a lounger at the Orchid Resort Hotel in Thailand while her boys, Lucas, 10, Tomas, eight, and Simon, five, were playing nearby with their dad.

The mother watched in horror as husband Quique Alvarez and their two youngest boys were submerged by the roaring mass of dark water that carried with it cars and the chalet the family had been staying in.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-l...iracle-1519067

Old 06-14-2022, 02:06 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Tsunami

Surrounded by her loving family as she relaxed by the pool on a dream holiday, Maria Belon felt she must be the luckiest woman in the world.

Seconds later, Maria and her terrified husband and three sons were swept away by a ferocious 30 foot wall of water that devoured everything in its path.

Maria was horrifically wounded as she was dragged under water by the devastating Indian Ocean tsunami of Boxing Day 2004.

After being submerged for more than three minutes, she finally surfaced and clung on to a tree.

She was petrified, alone and convinced she was dying – but in a miracle that has inspired new film The Impossible, the mum and her family survived.

Moments before paradise was smashed to bits, Maria was on a lounger at the Orchid Resort Hotel in Thailand while her boys, Lucas, 10, Tomas, eight, and Simon, five, were playing nearby with their dad.

The mother watched in horror as husband Quique Alvarez and their two youngest boys were submerged by the roaring mass of dark water that carried with it cars and the chalet the family had been staying in.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-l...iracle-1519067
And what does this imply about all the countless people who did not get a miracle? Who did not surface after 3 minutes or who succumbed to their wounds anyway? Who lost some of their family members? Were they insufficiently pious? Fungible commodities in some divine Plan?

I do not understand these people who surface at any given human disaster with a body count to exult in their good fortune at miraculously surviving it without the slightest awareness of how in so doing they are deepening the suffering of others. Just humbly admit that it was dumb luck. You are not God's PR department. And if you are trying to fulfill that role, it is backfiring.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btacKoGvVtM

Our heavenly Father loves you more than you can imagine!

Old 07-06-2022, 06:05 AM

Before refrigerators, people used ice-houses to preserve their food. Ice-houses had thick walls, no windows, and a tightly fitted door. In winter, when streams and lakes were frozen, large blocks of ice were cut from the frozen waters, hauled to the ice-houses, and covered with sawdust. Often these ice-blocks would last well into the summer.

One man lost a valuable watch while working in an ice-house. He searched diligently for it, carefully raking through the sawdust, but didn't find it. His fellow workers also looked, but their efforts, too, proved futile.

A small boy who heard about the fruitless search slipped into the ice-house during the noon hour and soon emerged with the watch.

Amazed, the men asked him how he found it.

"I closed the door," the boy replied, "lay down in the sawdust, and kept very still. Soon I heard the watch ticking." ~From Directions by James Hamilton

Old 07-09-2022, 07:42 AM

There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and saw that she had only three hairs on her head.

"Great," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she did and had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head.

"Hmm," she said, "I guess I'll part my hair down the middle." So she did and had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only one hair left on her head.

"Wow," she said, "today I get to wear my hair in a ponytail." So she did and had a wonderful, wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that there wasn't a single hair on her head.

"Thank God!" she exclaimed. "I was running out of things to do with my hair!"

Old 07-09-2022, 08:22 AM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Lol

Old 07-12-2022, 05:09 AM

Tears, missing tooth, airline captain, tooth fairy

Lena and her family were flying from New York to their home state of South Carolina in the US, and on landing, the six-year-old noticed she was missing a tooth.

When they got to baggage claim Lena realised her tooth was missing and must have fallen out.

The six-year-old was overcome with tears after a turbulent 36-hour flight delay.

She was very concerned about losing her tooth because she always puts her lost tooth under her pillow for the tooth fairy, but alas she had nothing to leave.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/united-pla...044609976.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity