Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 06:42 AM

45,677 posts, read 27,299,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
So according to you the scriptures are unproven and man's definition today of aion is better then what the scriptures tell us of aion.

Well at least we now know you are so screwed up in your doctrine, following the teachings of men.

Scripture defines aion as having a beginning and an END, so no man made doctrine can change that fact.
Scripture is the standard being that its content comes from God, through the Holy Spirit and through men who followed Him.

Christ does not use the word aion... He uses aionios in describing eternal life and eternal punishment in the case of Matthew 25:46.

You say I'm following men... look at the pages of posts here and see who posts material and quotes from numerous other authors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 06:45 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Scripture is the standard being that its content comes from God, through the Holy Spirit and through men who followed Him.

Christ does not use the word aion... He uses aionios in describing eternal life and eternal punishment in the case of Matthew 25:46.
You are correct my friend! Why does the Master of the reconciliation use this word? Why?

Old 06-15-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
It grieves my sensitive nature you want to "get off the bus", but alas, it is simply not what I want to believe, or "what I do not like". The day over 60 years ago, the Lord of glory touched my miserable young life, I knew my longings for Him were coming to a final resolution! The process has been one of growing into a relationship of trusting Him, and having my poor blind eyes opened, and hearing impaired ears quickened by the anointing of His glorious Presence. Oh, my friend you are sadly mistaken!
Do you understand WHY I said would get off the bus?

Old 06-15-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Do you understand WHY I said would get off the bus?
I understand exactly why. If you decide to change your mind, and stay on the bus, we will stop along the way and behold more of Abba's plan in the Saviour of all mankind.

"..so abundant was God's grace, the grace which He, the possessor of all wisdom and understanding, lavished upon us, when He made known to us the secret of His will. And this is in harmony with God's merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it—the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in Heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him. In Him we also have been made heirs, having been chosen beforehand in accordance with the intention of Him whose might carries out in everything the design of His own will, so that we should be devoted to the extolling of His glorious attributes.."

Old 06-15-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
You are correct my friend! Why does the Master of the reconciliation use this word? Why?
Because it is an accurate description of the life that's in Christ.

More than a description of time frame, it is always current. If you are a believer in Christ today - you have eternal life right now. You have eternal life a week from now... a year from now... after our physical death... as long as Christ exists, we have life with Him.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Because it is an accurate description of the life that's in Christ.

More than a description of time frame, it is always current. If you are a believer in Christ today - you have eternal life right now. You have eternal life a week from now... a year from now... after our physical death... as long as Christ exists, we have life with Him.
Bingo, one's union with the Master is the foundation for life, make that abundant life. That life is not based on a limited horizon of age lasting, no matter how long that range entails. Again, aionios simply does not cut it. Even aidios falls short (in a way) of what cannot be articulated in any language, koine, English or German.

PS>>>>>the present continuous tense is at work with the anointing of the Spirit and "being" born again>>>"be being"

Old 06-15-2018, 07:25 AM

Jonathan Mitchell N.T. Translation

::Jonathan Mitchell's New Testament Translation::

"46. "And so, these folks will be going off into an eonian pruning (a lopping-off which lasts for an undetermined length of time; an age-lasting correction; a pruning which has its source and character in the Age), yet the fair and just folks who are in right relationship and are in accord with the Way pointed out [go off] into eonian life (life which has it source and character in the Age; life pertaining to the Age)."

Youngs Literal Translation=

(YLT) "And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during."

Weymouth New Testament

Matthew 25:46 (WNT) "And these shall go away into the Punishment of the Ages, but the righteous into the Life of the Ages."

Old 06-15-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Bingo, one's union with the Master is the foundation for life, make that abundant life. That life is not based on a limited horizon of age lasting, no matter how long that range entails. Again, aionios simply does not cut it. Even aidios falls short (in a way) of what cannot be articulated in any language, koine, English or German.

PS>>>>>the present continuous tense is at work with the anointing of the Spirit and "being" born again>>>"be being"
That's the word Jesus Christ used as recorded by 4 authors who were with Him.

You are 2,000 + years removed, and you say it's wrong.

I will just trust in what is provided.

I'm done with this for awhile.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:10 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,018,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
No, but Mark does say this:

Mk.3:28 Truly I tell you, the sons of men will be pardoned all sins and blasphemies, as many as they utter.
What do you mean NO, and then quote the very passage where he DOES? : smack:

Mark 3:29 "... but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin".

ὃς δ' ἂν βλασφημήσῃ εἰς τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον οὐκ ἔχει ἄφεσιν εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα ἀλλ' ἔνοχός ἐστιν αἰωνίου κρίσεως,

Quote:
Using the Greek word aionios? Do they?
Yes. Literally.

Quote:
Or is that a theological opinion which many (but not all) translators have unfaithfully imported into the text & imposed upon the mass of ignorant readers who have swallowed it hook, line & sinker?
No, your excuse is the theological opinion imposed on what the text literally says.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:16 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,018,316 times
Quote:
My friend this is an exquisite work. The work is dead on the mark! We have been talking to a few rascals that are having a hard time grasping anything more than our Father losing the vast, vast majority of His creation. They need to take a few moments and consider the contents of this OP.
There is one rascal pretending to know Greek better than the Greeks.

Quote:
Greek scholar Marvin Vincent said:"The adjective aionios, in like manner, carries the idea of “time.” Neither the noun nor the adjective, in themselves, carry the sense of endless or everlasting, though they may acquire that sense by their connotation. Aionios means “enduring through or pertaining to a period of time.” Both the noun and the adjective are applied to limited periods."
αἰώνιος can mean that, but is qualified when this is done to avoid confusion with when it means eternal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity