Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 02:42 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Colossians 1:13-21

In this passage in Colossians 1, Paul makes a lot of claims about who and what Jesus is. My question is, how would he know any of this? How does the reader confirm that each word is true and not edited later? Especially regarding things working in some allegedly supernatural realm.

My view is that he wouldn't know these supernatural things. To me, a lot of what Paul is writing sounds like "damage control". Some of it was explicitly that. But some of it was more vague. He was very aware of the negative image people would have had of him at that time, after being a well known persecutor of Christians in the recent past. So it sounds like he is just giving Jesus a lot of praise in order to convince people that he was one of them now.

But Christians today take that *praise* and turn it into dogma, as if it were something to be understood literally.

What do you think?

God told all of the writers of the Bible what to say. It is called "God breathed." I think the bigger question is how do you know God did not tell Paul? Do you think he is lying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 04:53 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
God told all of the writers of the Bible what to say. It is called "God breathed." I think the bigger question is how do you know God did not tell Paul? Do you think he is lying?
Sorry. But I don't think the recipients of his letters would have bought into the idea that he was being that specific in his knowledge. The kind of knowledge that fundamentalists would project on his letters. It's just not plausible.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:07 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And how do you know this?...
Easy......lookie here

1Peter 1:11-13

11 trying to determine the time and setting to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.

12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they foretold the things now announced by those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. EVEN ANGELS LONG TO LOOK INTO THESE THINGS.

13 Therefore prepare your minds for action. Be sober-minded. Set your hope fully on the grace to be given you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.…

Old 07-20-2018, 05:29 PM

919 posts, read 609,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Except for that whole Road to Damascus thing. And the 3 years he spent under Jesus' direct tutelage.
So you agree with Saul/Paul that it's ok to lie to "further Gods glory"?
Saul/Paul never met Jesus.
Why did the Rabbis own students feel the need to call him out as a 'FALSE APOSTLE'?

The R to D sounds more like he had been eating magic mushrooms than an actual experience.
Saul/Paul was a traitor to his own people who worked for the Romans. Why would God choose to appear before a grub while ignoring the Rabbis students?

Old 07-20-2018, 06:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
So you agree with Saul/Paul that it's ok to lie to "further Gods glory"?
This statement in itself is a lie: Paul never said it was ok to lie, he only said that in order to speak to Jews he presented the gospel from the standpoint and understanding OF a Jew and the same for the standpoint and understanding of gentiles when talking to them.

The reference is 1 Cor 9:19Though I am free of obligation to anyone, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the Law I became like one under the Law (though I myself am not under the Law), to win those under the Law. 21To those without the Law I became like one without the Law (though I am not outside the law of God but am under the law of Christ), to win those without the Law. Berean Study Bible

Try reading without your jaundiced ideas.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
This statement in itself is a lie: Paul never said it was ok to lie, he only said that in order to speak to Jews he presented the gospel from the standpoint and understanding OF a Jew and the same for the standpoint and understanding of gentiles when talking to them.

The reference is 1 Cor 9:19Though I am free of obligation to anyone, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the Law I became like one under the Law (though I myself am not under the Law), to win those under the Law. 21To those without the Law I became like one without the Law (though I am not outside the law of God but am under the law of Christ), to win those without the Law. Berean Study Bible

Try reading without your jaundiced ideas.
So, Paul was being deceptive...

Old 07-21-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
So, Paul was being deceptive...
No, Paul was recognizing that different groups have different backgrounds and different bases for judgement. Part of the problem people seem to have with Paul is that he recognized that Jesus' message wasn't ABOUT religion and they don't.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
No, Paul was recognizing that different groups have different backgrounds and different bases for judgement. Part of the problem people seem to have with Paul is that he recognized that Jesus' message wasn't ABOUT religion and they don't.
Ahh, I get it, thanks, so, he was being deceptive...

Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Ahh, I get it, thanks, so, he was being deceptive...
I think the word you are looking for is "ingenuous," which is what you are being.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I think the word you are looking for is "ingenuous," which is what you are being.
Nah, I am being sarcastic...There's a difference...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity