Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, cuz this is a term I have heard quite often.

The way I saw it was pretty simple...A Dad comes home from work...
all 6 kids stay in front of the TV, don't even say, Hi....ONE jumps up and says, "Daddy!"
He picks her up and swings her around.*
This remains the scenario for years..now it's time for graduation presents...who do ya
think gets the red convertible?

The dad loves 'em all, tho.

* That's how I identify myself with my Heavenly Father, btw.
He picks me up and throws me in the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 09:34 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Just wondering, cuz this is a term I have heard quite often. The way I saw it was pretty simple...A Dad comes home from work... all 6 kids stay in front of the TV, don't even say, Hi....ONE jumps up and says, "Daddy!" He picks her up and swings her around.* This remains the scenario for years..now it's time for graduation presents...who do ya think gets the red convertible?The dad loves 'em all, tho. * That's how I identify myself with my Heavenly Father, btw. He picks me up and throws me in the air.
being in "God's Favor", for myself, means that I try hard to do his Father's will if I want life as Jesus stated ,(Matt. 7:21 Not every one that say unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that do the will of my Father which is in heaven). not trying to love the acts of this world, or being friends with this world more so that God, (James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God). trying hard to follow in the steps Jesus set for those who want life ,(1Pet. 2:21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps). Many in biblical times, like Abraham ,Job and Noah had found Favor in Jehovah God's eye. I would like him to see me the way he saw them, as faithful servants. peace

Old 08-15-2018, 11:52 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:

all 6 kids stay in front of the TV, don't even say, Hi....ONE jumps up and says, "Daddy!"
This remains the scenario for years..now it's time for graduation presents...who do ya

Ever read Sarah Young's Jesus Calling book? Curious what you think of it.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
I think correcting and rebuking fundamentalists puts me in god's favour.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:10 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:

I would say that God's "favor" flows to everyone, irrespective of what they do or don't do. God doesn't play favorites. But, none of us experience all that favor all of the time, because sometimes - or most times - we're just not in the right frame of mind to receive it.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:38 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think correcting and rebuking fundamentalists puts me in god's favour.
Let me know when you start correcting anyone. You do a lot of rebuking, attacking, criticizing, etc...but I haven't seen any correcting.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Let me know when you start correcting anyone. You do a lot of rebuking, attacking, criticizing, etc...but I haven't seen any correcting.

I'm not surprised.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:54 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Miss H, it didn’t take long for your thread to turn into a fist fight.

Back on topic, you might find this a good read.

https://www.gotquestions.org/favor-of-God.html

The best definition of the word favor is “demonstrated delight.” The favor of God can be described as “tangible evidence that a person has the approval of the Lord.” When we favor someone, we want to be with him or her. We delight in him. We connect with her in a way we don’t connect with everyone. We usually favor people who also favor us. In the same way, God shows favor to the ones who delight in, connect with, and give honor to Him. Isaiah 66:2 says, “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word.” Second Chronicles 16:9 says, “For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong on behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.” To be “perfect” toward Him means we seek His favor more than we seek the favor of anyone else, even ourselves.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Many are quick to attribute progress of others to luck or a rich daddy
but few that see the sweat and toil and trials that got you there
How many times have I been told by strangers that have no concept of foreign poverty- that I am doing well bek I am white and lucky
Many envy what I have but few what I had to do to get it

Old 08-15-2018, 01:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Miss H, it didn’t take long for your thread to turn into a fist fight.

Back on topic, you might find this a good read.

https://www.gotquestions.org/favor-of-God.html

The best definition of the word favor is “demonstrated delight.” The favor of God can be described as “tangible evidence that a person has the approval of the Lord.” When we favor someone, we want to be with him or her. We delight in him. We connect with her in a way we don’t connect with everyone. We usually favor people who also favor us. In the same way, God shows favor to the ones who delight in, connect with, and give honor to Him. Isaiah 66:2 says, “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word.” Second Chronicles 16:9 says, “For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong on behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.” To be “perfect” toward Him means we seek His favor more than we seek the favor of anyone else, even ourselves.
Excellent points and ........................... true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity