Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 03:49 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by werit View Post
Thanks for proving my point, there is that fear based motivation that is the stock-in-trade of all religious fundamentalists. I have no fear of judgement because while you were focused on your hateful dogma and litigating appropriate punishments for apostates, I was living my life and doing my best to treat all people with kindness and respect just like Jesus commanded us to.
So, you are a Christian. Your earlier posts indicated otherwise.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werit View Post
I was until I gave it up one year for Lent. I still believe in God, but I want nothing to do with the people that call themselves Christians ever again. I don't remember them being so angry and hateful when I was younger but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. The whole religion seems to be designed to provide an outlet for loudmouths and hypocrites to act like bullies while using God as a shield against any criticism. The final straw for me was when evangelicals en masse began to claim that Christians must discriminate against gays in retail establishments or face God's wrath. That is when I knew that any semblance of the religion of Jesus was gone for good and the Pharisees had regained their power.
So, you’re not a Christian. Regardless, my point is, you can’t blame others for your rejection of Jesus and His church.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So, you’re not a Christian. Regardless, my point is, you can’t blame others for your rejection of Jesus and His church.
I never interpreted werit as saying he rejected Jesus, unless I missed a post ...the people in the churches, yes....
and their beliefs...also, no blaming....maybe thanks.
It is profound when you open your eyes to bigotry and, well, what do you call this 'hate'?....or
'sick' to influence businesses (en masse, no less) to boycott gay people?
Wow....werit...bravo.
jimmie,
This is not what Jesus would do! I would hope you see this.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I never interpreted werit as saying he rejected Jesus, unless I missed a post ...the people in the churches, yes....
and their beliefs...also, no blaming....maybe thanks.
It is profound when you open your eyes to bigotry and, well, what do you call this 'hate'?....or
'sick' to influence businesses (en masse, no less) to boycott gay people?
Wow....werit...bravo.
jimmie,
This is not what Jesus would do! I would hope you see this.
Werit (and many others here) hate the church, the church Jesus loves and gave His life for. Most churches are NOT like Westboro Baptist. Instead, they love God and serve people, both Christian and not. There’s a church out there for everyone and if you can’t find it, start one yourself.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:54 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
It is shocking in the eyes of a bible fundamentalist to refuse to call yourself a christian. Which is odd, because nowhere in the scriptures does it say that we are refer to ourselves to be a christian. So bible fundamentalist why do you get your self bent out of shape because a believer refuses to call themself a christian ?.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Did Jesus tithe to the local church? No
Did Jesus teach an end of the world? No
Did Jesus require that his disciples believe in hell? No
Did Jesus say they must believe in him in order to be born again? No
Did Jesus teach people a "sinners prayer" to say after they raised their hands? No
Did Jesus teach anyone that they must believe in him in order to go to heaven when they die? No
Did Jesus demand that his followers adhere to a set of beliefs about his birth in order to follow or know him? No

In the first century in Palestine, Christianity was a community of believers. Then, Christianity moved to Greece and became a philosophy. Then, it moved to Rome and became an institution. Then, it moved to Europe and became a culture. And then, it moved to America and became a business.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Did Jesus tithe to the local church? No
Did Jesus teach an end of the world? No
Did Jesus require that his disciples believe in hell? No
Did Jesus say they must believe in him in order to be born again? No
Did Jesus teach people a "sinners prayer" to say after they raised their hands? No
Did Jesus teach anyone that they must believe in him in order to go to heaven when they die? No
Did Jesus demand that his followers adhere to a set of beliefs about his birth in order to follow or know him? No

In the first century in Palestine, Christianity was a community of believers. Then, Christianity moved to Greece and became a philosophy. Then, it moved to Rome and became an institution. Then, it moved to Europe and became a culture. And then, it moved to America and became a business.
I bet there are more. Excellent observations.
Constantine should get an honorable mention for muddling things up...I understand
he had to do 'something'.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:57 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
[quote=Jerwade;53695445]
Quote:
Did Jesus tithe to the local church?
but what a half truth .. He did tithe to the temple and to the rabbi's when he was supposed to tithe or make offferings and so did his parents and why he was even born in Bethlehem . you say this like he was a law breaker..

Quote:
Did Jesus teach an end of the world?
Yes mathew 24.. and a few more places where he gives a prophecy about it..
Quote:
Did Jesus require that his disciples believe in hell?
another slippery tongued stretch He didn't' ever require anyone to "believe" anything . God has never done that.. he did teach some kind or forms of eternal or spiritual punishments.

Quote:
Did Jesus teach people a "sinners prayer" to say after they raised their hands?
No ( one right sort of ) But he sure did build on John the baptists ideas of repentance for sin.

Quote:
Did Jesus teach anyone that they must believe in him in order to go to heaven when they die?
wrong . for just one such time.. out of many ..while in the temple at Channukah . he said he is the light of the world ( the helper) He is the Light,, meaning there no new life without him .. like at Chunnkkah if the helper doesn't light you, then they aren't lit and you have no new life and no new body for the next age. .. who in the bible old and new testament except Jesus celebrated Channukah? it is the feast of the new covenant and a new temple , a living temple from those who HE Lights up !

Quote:
( so you got two right ).. but calling his momma a ***** isn't going to score you any browny points..

Quote:
and isn't that what a government is?
check out what a government is? it is a corporation and even our government is a corporation or a co-operation. PS governments are businesses in the habit of making money and spending it and so will His government be for the 1000 years, it will be a corporation making money of some sort or other.

NOW only in some people ideas their kind of " heaven" of sitting on a cloud someplace with a harp and in glowing surreal body.. ..is a kingdom not making money or collecting tithes/ taxes or tributes or all the above .. there will also be Ezekiel's temple.. and it will be collecting tithes surely !! and every nations and people must go to the feasts and that means tithes and offering will be brought at least yearly for The Feasts of Tabernacles I would think.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I bet there are more. Excellent observations.
Constantine should get an honorable mention for muddling things up...I understand
he had to do 'something'
Yes, he organized christianity and created what most recognize to be christianity today, from fundamentalism to liberalism, it all came out of Constantine's heart(Not God's)

Old 11-21-2018, 09:35 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Andy Stanley has several sermons on how atheists have reached their decisions. Stanley quotes a number of these atheists.

Andy is the son of SBC pastor Charles Stanley, but very, very different in approach. Hope you enjoy this video. I think he follows up with three or four more Atheist 2.0 sermons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DdTlWYH8xc&t=1085s
Great video — thanks for sharing.
He is spot on!

Decades ago, I tried SO HARD to be an atheist.....he nails it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity