Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 03:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It seems to me that the video that you posted as your ‘poster child’ is based on the divisive us/them mentality prevalent in Christianity.....mormons =bad=do not have truth vs Baptist or Pentecostal or xxxx =good=do have the truth, that is the issue that people are discussing. To me it seems that It doesn’t matter which denomination of Christianity you belong to none of them in the flesh have attained the full measure of Christ
I don't feel he is doing that. In fact he specifically says many times he has no ill will at all towards Mormons. He simply doesn't agree with their Doctrine, which is an entirely different thing.

Kinda like how I reject the fundamentalist upbringing I partially had. (Brother and step-mother were fundamentalists). I was so relieved to get out of that mindset.

If my thread was about a fundamentalist who found a different truth, I don't feel I would be being attacked the way I am for starting this thread on the basis that I did.

I can tell you for myself I do not believe that Mormons = bad. I do disagree strongly with their Doctrine personally, naturally, there is no way for me not to when it fundamentally is so different from 'mine'. (I am not dogmatic, is why 'mine' is in quotes).

I also reject Judaism and Islam FOR MYSELF but I do not label them 'bad' or 'wrong'.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:10 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Yep, I agree
Yeah, but here's what's interesting... If I got all of my "news" about what was going on in the world from the National Enquirer, how well-informed do you think I'd really be? I mean, sure, I'd be learning new things every time I picked up a copy, but would what I was "learning" be accurate? It positively blows my mind to realize that there are people who actually believe what they read in that publication. Personally, I'd rather get my information from a reliable source, even if I didn't end up liking what I read. Unfortunately, the more sensational the story, the less likely it is to be factual. But this is actually what some people want.

Then, too, you have to wonder how realistic it is to expect your enemies to be objective in how they describe you. It's easy for them to even take a "fact" and distort it by the addition or omission of a couple of key words. Let's take the word, "zombie." I've heard anti-Christians describe the resurrected Jesus Christ as a "zombie." Look up the word "zombie" in a dictionary and you'll find this definition or something very similar: "Zombie: A zombie is a once dead human corpse, believed to be reanimated through some sort of magic." To an atheist, or even to someone who may believe in some kind of Higher Power but who does not believe that a man by the name of Jesus Christ was put to death and then rose from the dead three days later, the risen Christ could be sarcastically and mockingly be referred to as a zombie. The "definition" would fit, but do Christians really believe their Savior became a zombie on Easter morning?

Sure, if someone wants to make Christianity sound really stupid, they could use the word and appeal to the dictionary as proof that "Christians believe in a zombie savior." How many Christians would be okay with someone describing Jesus Christ that way?

Old 12-04-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Jencam,

and the Gospel is the Gospel of Jesus Christ no of Joseph Smith.
I beg to differ with you. JS's interpretation of the gospel is quite different. God gave him new revelations that conflict with traditional Christianity. Belief in Jesus is not enough, one must be Baptized by the one and only true church, the LDS church. I understand the loopholes. I'll be offered another chance after death, but I can never attain the highest level, which for me is the only level (dwelling with God for Eternity) if I do not accept the LDS gospel in life on earth and follow the ordinances.

If you feel I have written that wrongly, or misunderstand something, then lets have a discussion rather than just saying I don't understand and I am attacking. I do think that specifically due to this thread I do understand this part very well.

Quote:
Revelation from the Lord explains that the “new and everlasting covenant of marriage” (D&C 131:2) is necessary in order to receive exaltation. This lesson will make clear to students that for a marriage to last for eternity, a couple must be sealed by one who holds priesthood keys and then live righteously.
One aspect of Exaltation is:
Quote:
They will live eternally in the presence of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ (see D&C 76:62).
This is what non-Mormon Christians believe is a gift bestowed upon us merely be belief in Jesus Christ. No ordinances are required, if we fail to tithe we are not restricted from engaging in the necessary Temple ordinances, etc. and so forth.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:36 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think I do understand. To reach the Celestial Kingdom, one has to follow all the ordinances of the Mormon church.
Just a couple of notes here, The term Mormon was started by non members as a derogatory term, The Church prefers those referring to it to use the correct name, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the name given to it by Jesus himself.
Also what you said above is true except one has to follow all the ordinances originally set by the Lord Jesus Christ himself.

Remembering that after Christ died that many things in His Church were lost. So in understanding what we believe about what is necessary to reach the Celestial Kingdom those lost things were restored when Christ restored the Church and Priesthood to the Earth.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Just a couple of notes here, The term Mormon was started by non members as a derogatory term, The Church prefers those referring to it to use the correct name, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the name given to it by Jesus himself.
Also what you said above is true except one has to follow all the ordinances originally set by the Lord Jesus Christ himself.

Remembering that after Christ died that many things in His Church were lost. So in understanding what we believe about what is necessary to reach the Celestial Kingdom those lost things were restored when Christ restored the Church and Priesthood to the Earth.
I used to refrain from the term Mormon when I learned it was considered derogatory. But then the LDS church did a campaign using the term, and so I think that changed. They seemed to have set out to change that.

This latest edict by the Prophet to say the mouthful is problematic. And the edict is to Mormons, not non-Mormons, except in news articles, which this is not one.

I hope that you were just mentioning that and not chastising me, because there are many Mormons who call themselves Mormons. On here and elsewhere. The Mormons I know call themselves Mormon. I don't think it would be fair to say that I am using the term to be derogatory.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:29 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
I think I do understand. To reach the Celestial Kingdom, one has to follow all the ordinances of the Mormon church.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If, God is infinite, then it is possible that there are infinite heavens; not just one where every Christian will be sitting on their butts. However, I was wondering who will volunteer to clean the toilets in this mansion? Will it be You? If so, I am going to leave a deposit worthy of your calling.
Quote:
Wow. I see I am going to have to create an 'ignore' list. I have no idea where this sort of maliciousness is coming from.
Your motivation is insincere, as you admittedly and deliberately understated your position in order to use the video as a platform to justify your oppositional views against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was rather subtle in the beginning. Yet, you failed to address the ideology of the substitutionary theory, knowing full well that it was a fundamentalist Baptist Church with all the high-fives, who also believe in eternal damnation. And, that particular person in the video came across as an act with his sobbing, after six years, as if his testimony was relevant, other than to promote his and/or his mother’s ministry within the system of fundamentalism and their particular beliefs. I suppose you could say that I took exception to that, and your arrogance or if you prefer the smugness within your attitude and demeanor.

My contention on this forum has been and will always be with those who esteem themselves; and lord it over those they marginalize or condemn, even if it is cleverly disguised. If you choose to put me on ignore, it won't be the first time that I have had that honor. But it was interesting to hear that you are not a fundamentalist like some of those in your family. However, what that means in, and of itself is unknown.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:39 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
The term Mormon was started by non members as a derogatory term,...
So, was the term Christian, which is not a label that I hold close to my heart.

Quote:
The Church prefers those referring to it to use the correct name, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the name given to it by Jesus himself.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:53 PM

Why would it be bad if I were a fundamentalist? Why is it ok to bash fundamentalist Christians in the Christianity forum? As to the rest, you are simply mistaken. I lord nothing over no one.

A Mormon could say 'it's hurtful for some other Christians to say we are not Christians'. And they could say back, 'well it's hurtful that you claim to be the one and only true Church, which is saying you are the only TRUE CHRISTIANS'. Which means then they don't think we are Christians at all.

That is denigrating. That is demeaning. That is putting themselves above us.

I am not doing any of that merely by discussing the differences in Doctrine.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:06 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Note to any who may be wondering: Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints recognize that membership in our Church is not a requirement for a person to be a "true Christian." It is completely inaccurate to say that we don't believe Catholics, Methodists, Lutherans, Baptists, etc. are Christians. It's a flat out lie. If someone tells us that he is a Christian, we will take him at his word. Christians are disciples of Jesus Christ. They look to Him as their Savior. One need not have a perfect understanding of Christian doctrine in order to be a "true Christian."

Old 12-04-2018, 06:13 PM

I never understood why Mormons come to ask me to believe in Jesus Christ and when I say I already do, that isn't sufficient to them. Now I understand it, of course. They want me to believe in the one and only true way of believing. They haven't come to my door in many years. I guess I was marked as one who had heard the gospel and rejected it.

I was always like I just don't get this. You say you are Christians. I say I am a Christian. But you want to convert me. No other denomination that I know of tries to convert Christians to Christianity. Unless maybe JW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity