Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 06:16 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That still doesn't say what it is. He can't literally mean water. After listening to Mr Rogers I think I have an idea of what it could be.
It’s the Spirit of God, living in you. The world can’t give you that; only Jesus can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 06:19 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It’s the Spirit of God, living in you. The world can’t give you that; only Jesus can.
How would that manifest itself? What "thirst" would be quenched from within?

Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 PM

550 posts, read 368,767 times
I only understood about two of the responses.

However, what I like about my church is the community.

Some people may sneer but I know our church in Houston helped a lot of people recover from Harvey and hosted groups of volunteers from churches throughout the country who came to help people rebuild their damaged houses.

Of course, other organizations could sponsor these types of efforts but few do and few are structured enough to do it on any scale.

What I don't like is the changing doctrine on social issues.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:39 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
How would that manifest itself? What "thirst" would be quenched from within?
In the short term, the Spirit provides us guidance, direction, peace and a purpose-filled life. In the long-term, the Spirit gives us eternal life, with no pain, sorrow or tears, in the presence of God.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:46 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
In the short term, the Spirit provides us guidance, direction, peace and a purpose-filled life. In the long-term, the Spirit gives us eternal life, with no pain, sorrow or tears, in the presence of God.
Thanks but that sounds so canned. Almost like an answer on a test.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Thanks but that sounds so canned. Almost like an answer on a test.
Uh-huh.

jimmiej is well-programmed.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:21 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
I was reading the thread on Methodist vote on gay marriages and a number of posters are considering leaving the church.

I'm unsure what a church should be today. I read that one reason why the Methodist voted as they did is that the members from churches in Africa are traditional and conservative.

Do you leave a church if it's contemporary social message isn't to your liking?

I'm unsure what a church should be today. I read that one reason why the Methodist voted as they did is that the members from churches in Africa are traditional and conservative.

My mother is still a Catholic even though she abhors the history of sex abuse and supports keeping abortion legal. The underlying theology keeps her a member.

There's something to be said for consistency in a divided turbulent world.

If you're liberal when liberalism is popular and conservative when conservatism is popular, do you really have any doctrine?
When the teaching, preaching, ritual and prevailing thoughts of this body of professed believers makes you happy to be there. When more than the hymns make your heart sing, when you have a few good friends their and you look forward to Sunday morning, you know that you are home, and you are where God wants you to be - you STAY.

When the teaching, preaching, ritual a prevailing thoughts abrade your soul, and you know deep inside that they are saying things that contradict the loving and inclusive teachings of Christ, you know that you are a Christian, and you do the right thing. You leave.

You would need to over think it. You will feel it. Contrary to the teachings of many fundie churches - you DO go by feelings. If something hurts your heart - you leave.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:16 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
When do you leave a church?

When the minister or pastor makes the claim that you're going to Hell.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:32 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
No, you didn’t.
Yes I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Please be my guest and explain.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:01 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPbStPztIV0

This kind of thing would certainly spark my interest in going to a church meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity