Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:48 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

Also, Bigthirsty, even the words of Jesus that we have as recorded in the gospels were handed down to us. The disciples who were with the Lord passed what they had heard to others and what was heard was recorded, right? Faith is the key. We weren't there with Jesus and those who were with Him but we believe. If you read the writings of Paul you will find that they go along with the gospels. Paul suffered so much for the Lord as did the other apostles and the fact that he made a complete turnaround and gave so much of himself to the church (by the power of God) that he once tried to destroy says a lot to me. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 12:56 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
The bible introduces me to Jesus and His teachings.The reason for His death, burial and resurrection. I follow His teachings and I believe my personal relationship with God through His son and Holy Spirit, are my guides, my teachers, my comforters and most of all my peace, and my assurance that one day I will stand before Him, and will be deemed "worthy"..Who and where I decide to worship with, are my decisions, for Jesus taught that wherever two or three are gathered together in His name He would be there..

That scripture is taken out of context almost more than any I know. The entire chapter is about the church disciplining an erring member.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:14 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Thanks for the memories Mariam, of the constant correction I received in the CofC,where I was not allowed an opinion, and I further thank them for my relationship and peace with my creator that I enjoy today apart from them..

Old 04-20-2008, 01:27 PM

90 posts, read 249,957 times
Blue, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you mean that you differ on opinion on the interpretation of some Scriptures or that you outright not believe certain Scriptures? Could you give us an example?

Old 04-20-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megande View Post
Blue, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you mean that you differ on opinion on the interpretation of some Scriptures or that you outright not believe certain Scriptures? Could you give us an example?
I can say say that I do believe the scriptures were written by righteous men,..My only real problem is with the rules and laws set forth by the founders of the early Church..They were meant for the people of that time, rules that were good for showing people who had never heard about Jesus or any of his teachings..Most of those people were just leaving the worship of different Gods and needed to be taught from scratch so to speak..Can you imagine the frustration of the early church leaders? They were trying to teach faith, where there was none..They had the responsibility to teach these folks so they would be able to go and teach others.. They had to assert discipline, and rules in order to show the people there is a real difference between worshipping God and worshipping their gods. Have you ever studied how those people worshipped their gods? Not nice at all.

Two thousand years later, I see no reason for women to be second class citizens in the Kingdom of God, I see no reason to argue if our heads should be covered or not, can we have an organ, is a tithe of 10% necessary,did Jesus drink wine or grape juice at the last supper, did the gifts of the holy spirit disappear with the Apostles, etc, etc.. I see no reason to proclaim that only one group of people will be able to one day stand before God and be worthy of His reward..I see no reason to be constantly telling a fellow christian that he is not a real christian..I believe we should have matured in our faith, belief and with all the blessings God has given us where we should base our ministry to each other, and the world on Love, tolerance and in the way we live our lives..I believe we should spend more time on Jesus and the reason he was sent by the Father than manmade laws and rules..I am sorry that I seem to just be not getting my point across..I would rather discuss my opinions and learn others opinions without pasting scripture..I learn so much more from the heart and soul of the person I am talking to, because we both know the scriptures, so why argue over what they really mean or that I am taking them out of context?

Old 04-20-2008, 02:51 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Remember though, that did not include the "New Testament".
It didn't exist yet.
Yes it does, All scripture means ALL of it is the inspired Word of God.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:10 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Hi Blue, I believe that a lot of what happens is out of fear or wanting to make sure that the truth is being presented. People are afraid that someone might be misleading them or leading someone into error. And some feel that some of the same rules apply to us today while some believe that the principle is still there to be applied. Now, for example, I have problem in going to any service or being comfortable where there are women preachers. I can't do it and if I did, this would not be done in faith, so maybe I need to grow in this area but I am not there yet! There are scriptures which speak of contending for the faith and so that is what some are doing. As far as sharing scriptures, personally, I feel that it is important because we may both know them but we may have different understanding or interpretation which may influence our perspective. So in an attempt to explain a perspective, scriptures may be presented which support this and the reasons given for why they are seen as being supportive of this or as presenting this. Take, for example, if we are talking about God's sovereignty and evil. One Christian says that they don't believe that evil is out of God when another Christian says that they believe that all is out of God including evil. And so we may have a problem or conflict. Each one is going to provide scriptures which they believe present their perspective or what is truth and some of the scriptures may relate to both of them. We may both have the same scriptures but understand it differently and be able to share why we see what we see when we read it. Hopefully, the other person can understand where we are coming from and understanding of each other's perspectives may begin. Hope that isn't too confusing and just sharing. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 04-20-2008 at 03:20 PM..

Old 04-20-2008, 03:45 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Thanks for the memories Mariam, of the constant correction I received in the CofC,where I was not allowed an opinion, and I further thank them for my relationship and peace with my creator that I enjoy today apart from them..
The name is "Marian" not "Mariam".

So, what congregation of the church of Christ did you attend, and why are all congregations condemned because of your unhappy experience? That seems awfully narrow minded to me!
And is it possible your discontent is due to a belief that the Bible is not the word of God?
I understand someone with that mindset being happier where the teachings do not step on their toes.
As for the teachings in the New Testament being just for that period of time, it is written in Jude 3, "I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints."

Note the " once for all", it does not say it was delivered to only the people at that time.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:25 PM

[quote=Marianinark;3520811]The name is "Marian" not "Mariam".

So, what congregation of the church of Christ did you attend, and why are all congregations condemned because of your unhappy experience? That seems awfully narrow minded to me

Sorry I mispelled your name, I meant no harm..I belonged to a nondenominational, self governing, musical, established in 33ad, women are not able or qualified to teach any man or boy over 12 Sunday school; women are to be silent in church and under subjection to their husbands in church and at home; Catholic, tithe and communion believers; hellfire and brimstone, scare the kids alter calls; we are the only true church; protectors of pediphiles as long as they get baptized by full immersion; saved by acts 2:38; everyone takes scripture out of context except us; you leave us, we shun you; we baptize you only if we feel you are ready;
About the same doctrine as is taught in each and every one of the probably upward to 50+ congregations in several States I have attended in my 40 some years..I do know there are Universal Churches of Christ, International Churches of Christ, etc, etc which are very different from the ones I have described. So do you belong to one of those?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:00 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Bigthirsty,

You simply can't pick and choose what you want to believe out of the Bible.
why not? Why can't I look at the Bible for what it is? A compilation of different works chosen to be "divine" by other people. Because some council said it is "inspired" then I should just take their word?

Nope.. can't do that. I put more weight in the gospels as they speak about Jesus. I have to ask questions.. and honestly if my questions ruffle feathers.. so be it. Use it as an opportunity to be introspective and examine your own faith. I don't judge you for what you do or don't believe. I'm simply using a forum to ask a simple question..

Why do so many.. put so much on Paul?

Just as example.. went to church today and guess what I heard.. I heard a whole lot of Paul.. Paul Paul Paul..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity