Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 PM

793 posts, read 2,213,519 times

Advertisements

What I mean by that is that there are many views on the book depending on how you study it.

Some will look at it as chronological events in order as presented. Others believe it wasn't meant to looked that way.

Some will look at it all literally, and others all figuratively.

Some will say the 7 years and the 1000 years are future event. Others see it as between the first coming of Christ and his second coming, meaning no future 1000years.

Some would put the 7 seals, 7 trumpets, 7 bowls as 3 different waves, others would combine all 3 as 3 different view angle of the same events that all lead to the second coming of Christ, and started since the first coming of Christ.

The list goes on.... How many different main views are there?

I only studied 2 different versions, but I know there are a few more.

I am not saying any of those views here are right or wrong, but it is interesting how many interpretation there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:16 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
What I mean by that is that there are many views on the book depending on how you study it.

Some will look at it as chronological events in order as presented. Others believe it wasn't meant to looked that way.

Some will look at it all literally, and others all figuratively.

Some will say the 7 years and the 1000 years are future event. Others see it as between the first coming of Christ and his second coming, meaning no future 1000years.

Some would put the 7 seals, 7 trumpets, 7 bowls as 3 different waves, others would combine all 3 as 3 different view angle of the same events that all lead to the second coming of Christ, and started since the first coming of Christ.

The list goes on.... How many different main views are there?

I only studied 2 different versions, but I know there are a few more.

I am not saying any of those views here are right or wrong, but it is interesting how many interpretation there are.
I have studied it, I believe in the rapture of the church, the 7 years of tribulation, I believe it is literal and it will happen when the time is right.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,684 times
I believe it speaks of the end times...
I believe portions can be applied to today, as in to the churches...
I believe it will happen exactly as it states it will.
I believe in the rapture of the church and in the tribulation.
I do not believe it has all happened yet.
I believe Jesus is comming again and will return for his Bride.
I believe there is a special blessing for anyone who reads the book....

Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
There is alot of scripture in Revelations that I don't understand, but I believe that there are some verses that are misinterpreted in a complex way, yet they refer to the simple salvation story and the walk with the saints in the kingdom of God, right now..

These threads show how I interpret some of these scriptures:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ngdom-god.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...eady-here.html

Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,427 times
I'm not sure what you mean by studying it in "different ways." There is only one way to study scripture. With time and prayer. There is only one interpretation of every scripture. The end times, rapture, second coming, etc., have to be the most debated topic in the world.

Personally, when folks debate the topic (of which I don't participate), I ask one question: "Who here has put extensive time and prayer into studying this subject and feels they have heard from God conclusively, and is 100% certain of their viewpoint?" (Keeping in mind that a study of this magnitude, barring any special dispensation of knowledge from God - which is possible, would take months or, possibly, years.)

Nobody has ever been able to say that they have heard from God on this. So, until then, I continue to study it. I don't care about people's theories because they're usually created with predisposed leanings one way or the other anyway. If we are "raptured," I'm all for it. I see scriptures which would seem to lend themselves to this theory. Then again, I see scriptures which lend themselves towards Christians being here during the Great Tribulation.

Either way, all Christians should be prepared for both possibilities. Who knows? All of our theories could be wrong.

One thing I do know is that God has a history of letting His people know when major events are about to occur. He let Lot know about the destruction of Soddom and Gommorah. He let Noah know about the flood, etc., I personally believe that those who are TRULY walking with Him in every way, 100%, will be told when the season is here and the time is "close at hand."

EDITED TO ADD: As I posted my response, I remembered the following story, which I think is relative to the subject. It's been an encouragement to me of the years.

A woman rushed up to violinist Fritz Kreisler after a concert and gushed, "Oh, I would give my life to play as you do!" He answered soberly, "Madam, that's exactly what I did."

Kreisler made a great sacrifice of time, effort, and personal desires to attain such accomplishment. So, too, in the spiritual realm, if we would become mature followers of Christ, we must be willing to die to self.

God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. -- Galatians 6:14

Old 04-23-2008, 09:19 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by studying it in "different ways." There is only one way to study scripture. With time and prayer. There is only one interpretation of every scripture. The end times, rapture, second coming, etc., have to be the most debated topic in the world.

Personally, when folks debate the topic (of which I don't participate), I ask one question: "Who here has put extensive time and prayer into studying this subject and feels they have heard from God conclusively, and is 100% certain of their viewpoint?" (Keeping in mind that a study of this magnitude, barring any special dispensation of knowledge from God - which is possible, would take months or, possibly, years.)

Nobody has ever been able to say that they have heard from God on this. So, until then, I continue to study it. I don't care about people's theories because they're usually created with predisposed leanings one way or the other anyway. If we are "raptured," I'm all for it. I see scriptures which would seem to lend themselves to this theory. Then again, I see scriptures which lend themselves towards Christians being here during the Great Tribulation.

Either way, all Christians should be prepared for both possibilities. Who knows? All of our theories could be wrong.

One thing I do know is that God has a history of letting His people know when major events are about to occur. He let Lot know about the destruction of Soddom and Gommorah. He let Noah know about the flood, etc., I personally believe that those who are TRULY walking with Him in every way, 100%, will be told when the season is here and the time is "close at hand."
Amen!!
Wonderful insight in your last paragraph. In my experience and study in God's word this has been true.

Blessings

Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I have studied it many times and my feelings about what it means have also changed several times over the years..When I realized that other very well meaning people wanted me to believe their interpertations, I really began to study it and pray about it..I found that historical accounts of those times helped me a lot..My interpertations of the book are unimportant here, because there are so many ways of interpreting the various verses..I don't mind sharing what I feel is the theme of revelationsI think the theme is that Christ will come again, will conquor evil, cleanse the world of its sinful nature and restore it to the perfection in which it was created..Of course that is just in the opinion of blue

Old 04-23-2008, 04:38 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Blue's 'theme' is interesting. I believe the main theme is that rightousness will prevail, and the wicked will be punshied.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,427 times
I gather a lot of encouragement just from the fact that He's coming again! No matter what happens here and now, one day we'll be with Him and justice will prevail in all things. I can identify with Paul when he said in Philippians 4:11-13, "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I'm not yet fully there, but I'm moving forward in it.

No matter what happens here and now, it will all be worth it and doesn't compare to what awaits us! "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." - Romans 8:18

Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM

793 posts, read 2,213,519 times
But what are the different views or interpretations out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity