Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 01:16 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I cannot forecast that, Pleroo, after all, Jesus demonstrated it as unambiguously as possible over 2020 years ago and it still persists.
It was a rhetorical question. But, yeah, we're slow learners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 01:18 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It was a rhetorical question. But, yeah, we're slow learners.
Lol, yup!

Old 01-13-2021, 01:47 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
When I saw the Title, before I read the posts or watched the video, my first thoughts went three places, first to a number of unstable Christians with whom I have met in various churches, and second to the ones I encountered professionally over the years, and finally, to Paul, the founder of Pauline Christianity and writer of a few books of the Bible, who was certainly unhinged as is obvious in his writings and life.

But As far as Casting people out because they have a different philosophy, perhaps that is a big part of the problem. As Pleroo said, we need to hear peoples opinions.

Anyone who is threatened, fearful, of another person's opinion is suffering from inner frailty and serious self doubt. I do not agree with many of the opinions on here, and even still, other than those who are outwardly rude and abusive, I do not ignore someone just because I do not agree with them.

But going back to the mentally unstable Christian, which is not an all or nothing issue, yes there are mentally unstable people in the faith. I could give names and addresses. but I won't . But I could.
The problem is not when religious faith becomes a panacea for one's melancholy or self-doubt, but rather when religion becomes itself the source of abuse and distress. At such time, it preys upon vulnerable individuals, exacerbating, but not treating, the underlying issues
I have seen this way too many times. Even from pastors who offer "Spiritual counseling" and have no qualifications or business doing so. Any more than a Philipino Priest can cure someone with psychic surgery.

Sadly, there will be mental illness, and if a religion tends to aggravate, to exacerbate or even enable it, then that religion is one from which we should all walk away.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:41 AM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
No, we all have to take responsibility for our own behavior by healing the issues within that cause us to have the need to try to control others. Lashing out isn't the answer and if those people succeed in silencing people like BF with their contempt and shaming and other fear tactics, it won't change their own inner demons. They will simply find other people to target in order to scratch their internal "itch".
Agreed.

And one point that needs to be made is those who attempt to silence others, are only putting roadblocks onto the path of another human being's path to God. Everyone has their own path to discovering God, to discovering his TRUE nature. When you put up roadblocks on their path, all it does is perhaps delay the inevitable for that person by keeping them stagnant, in a sense. What is the inevitable? Their knowledge of the true nature of God. Everyone will come to the knowledge of the truth. Why would anyone want to silence another? To put up that roadblock? To do that to your fellow man? You can debate and argue with people all day long, but you attempt to CENSOR, either outright, or by shaming, mocking and ridicule, or not allow freedom of religion, freedom of thought, the only thing it accomplishes is HARM.

We all have our own path to walk. Just because YOU may see something that I YET do not see, doesn't mean that I won't eventually see it. Don't push me down and mock me because of where I am at on my path. And also, don't grab my arm and hurry me along, impatiently. You hurt me when you do so, whether you realize it or not.

Am I guilty of these things? Yes. I try not to be. But I'm human. Mostly it's over on the politics forum, not here.... but I digress.

We're all just brothers and sisters trying to make it in this world.

peace.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:45 AM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Agreed.

And one point that needs to be made is those who attempt to silence others, are only putting roadblocks onto the path of another human being's path to God. Everyone has their own path to discovering God, to discovering his TRUE nature. When you put up roadblocks on their path, all it does is perhaps delay the inevitable for that person by keeping them stagnant, in a sense. What is the inevitable? Their knowledge of the true nature of God. Everyone will come to the knowledge of the truth. Why would anyone want to silence another? To put up that roadblock? To do that to your fellow man? You can debate and argue with people all day long, but you attempt to CENSOR, either outright, or by shaming, mocking and ridicule, or not allow freedom of religion, freedom of thought, the only thing it accomplishes is HARM.
Excellent post, as usual, sparrow!!

Old 01-15-2021, 01:19 PM

3,061 posts, read 914,729 times
How would you characterise the mind of a person, who believes that untold billions of years ago, before mankind was even thought of, some immortal and eternal alien life form, who could never die and has never died, who, with his father created this boundless cosmos, then some two thousand years ago, he came down to earth and entered the womb of some supposed ever virgin and created for himself a humanlike body that was not of the seed of the original human being, in order to disguise himself as a descendant of that original human, and who later had that body of flesh and blood killed before ascending back to his heavenly kingdom, where flesh and blood cannot enter?

Old 01-17-2021, 04:18 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
How would you characterise the mind of a person, who believes that untold billions of years ago, before mankind was even thought of, some immortal and eternal alien life form, who could never die and has never died, who, with his father created this boundless cosmos, then some two thousand years ago, he came down to earth and entered the womb of some supposed ever virgin and created for himself a humanlike body that was not of the seed of the original human being, in order to disguise himself as a descendant of that original human, and who later had that body of flesh and blood killed before ascending back to his heavenly kingdom, where flesh and blood cannot enter?
Do you believe that whoever holds this belief is a Mentally Unstable Christian?

Old 01-17-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Do you believe that whoever holds this belief is a Mentally Unstable Christian?
I believe that any man, Christian or otherwise, would have to be mentally unstable to believe his daughter, if she was found to be pregnant, and she said to him, that God had conceived the child in her womb.

But we know from scripture that Mary never did believe that her first born son was sired by God, if fact when she found her lost son in the temple, and he said to her "Surely you knew that I had to be in my father's house," she didn't have a clue as to what he was taking about.

She knew that his father was Joseph the son of Heli.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:17 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
I'm late to this thread. Anyone mention the moonbats who stormed the Capitol last week?

Old 01-18-2021, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm late to this thread. Anyone mention the moonbats who stormed the Capitol last week?
And what do the moonbats who stormed the capitol last week have to do with the topic of this thread? Or do you believe that those moonbats were mentally unstable Christians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity