Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 06:24 AM

9,899 posts, read 1,281,626 times

Advertisements

Jesus said, “ 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!” (Matthew 7:11)

Is Jesus saying we are depraved or totally depraved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 06:41 AM

1,757 posts, read 758,927 times
I am not an expert here, but does it mean that:

(1) We all fall short of the glory of God, we are all sinners, which explains the "evil" part at the beginning of the verse.

(2) Yet we can do good things despite our imperfections like giving good gifts to others (loving and serving others), which explains the good gifts part of the verse.

(3) Therefore, God will still seek favor upon us and reward us despite our imperfections? This explains the last part of the verse.

????

This is how I interpret it, but I would get other people's opinions and thoughts too!!!

Old 12-23-2021, 06:58 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,320,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Jesus said, “ 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!” (Matthew 7:11)

Neither. It's all about how wonderful the Father is.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:06 AM

13,658 posts, read 7,968,055 times
Quote:

We need some definitions. Certainly we are not "totally depraved" in the Calvinist sense. However, we are all corrupted to some degree by original sin and concupiscence, so in that sense we are all "depraved".

Old 12-23-2021, 08:18 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,366,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
We need some definitions. Certainly we are not "totally depraved" in the Calvinist sense. However, we are all corrupted to some degree by original sin and concupiscence, so in that sense we are all "depraved".
I have yet to see evil in a new born Mike. I only see purity in children. God made us perfect, just the way we are. Are we not made in His image? His essence is pure love.
The point is, God loves us sooooo much, compared to our love, it's off the charts.

"Fear not little flock, it gives your Father great joy to give you the Kingdom" . Fear is the veil that keeps us from God.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:22 AM

13,658 posts, read 7,968,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I have yet to see evil in a new born Mike. I only see purity in children. God made us perfect, just the way we are. Are we not made in His image? His essence is pure love.
The point is, God loves us sooooo much, compared to our love, it's off the charts.

"Fear not little flock, it gives your Father great joy to give you the Kingdom" . Fear is the veil that keeps us from God.
I have not claimed to see evil in a new born.

God made Adam perfect. Because of Adam's sin, we are all corrupted. This is plainly obvious through simple observation of reality and objective self-analysis.

We are made in His image. His image in us has been marred by sin.

These are basic Christian concepts.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:27 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,040,953 times
Quote:

What do you believe is the difference? What do you believe the doctrine of Total Depravity teaches?

Old 12-23-2021, 08:47 AM

1,484 posts, read 482,270 times
Quote:

The summary of what Jesus Christ is saying in Matthew 7:7-12 is God does not make a fool of those who seek Him and likewise you are not to make a fool of those who seek from you...So in everything do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the law and the Prophets.

As it says, Which of you, if his son asks for bread will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish will give him a snake? So, bringing it closer to home and not making a fool of your own children when they seek from you, do not make of fool of others as well, when they seek from you.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:03 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I am not an expert here, but does it mean that:

(1) We all fall short of the glory of God, we are all sinners, which explains the "evil" part at the beginning of the verse.

(2) Yet we can do good things despite our imperfections like giving good gifts to others (loving and serving others), which explains the good gifts part of the verse.

(3) Therefore, God will still seek favor upon us and reward us despite our imperfections? This explains the last part of the verse.

????

This is how I interpret it, but I would get other people's opinions and thoughts too!!!
You took the words right out of my mouth, QB. I don't think Jesus was saying we're "depraved" at all.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:15 AM

10,043 posts, read 4,978,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
.................... What do you believe the doctrine of Total Depravity teaches?
How about being beyond repenting __________
Beyond repenting ( total depravity ) for example: Sinner Satan.- Hebrews 2:14 B.
I suppose that the one who commits the unforgivable sin can be considered at totally depraved - Matthew 12:32
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity