Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 01:40 PM

88 posts, read 33,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Well it must be nice to know what everyone believe and they would have no problems passing a polygraph test.
I think they are mistaken but for you to say they cannot really believe what they say they believe is putting yourself in the place of God.
If I tell you I sincerely, deeply, truly think the earth is flat or Joe Biden is a reptilian alien in disguise, are you going to believe I really think this"

Or are you more likely to think I'm either delusional or pretending?

The goofy part of young earth creationism is that it's not only scientifically ridiculous but also isn't mandated by the Bible and wasn't the view of the early Christians.

It's become some sort of weird litmus test for a particular species of Christianity.

But if you insist you genuinely believe this in the face of a Mt. Everest of scientific data from every relevant discipline, I'll let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 02:14 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,383,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonked View Post
If I tell you I sincerely, deeply, truly think the earth is flat or Joe Biden is a reptilian alien in disguise, are you going to believe I really think this"

Or are you more likely to think I'm either delusional or pretending?

The goofy part of young earth creationism is that it's not only scientifically ridiculous but also isn't mandated by the Bible and wasn't the view of the early Christians.

It's become some sort of weird litmus test for a particular species of Christianity.

But if you insist you genuinely believe this in the face of a Mt. Everest of scientific data from every relevant discipline, I'll let it go.
First off I do not believe the heavens and the earth were created in 6 literal days. However there are many people who do. You can call them crazy if you like to but they have scientists that back up a young earth. So someone is reading something wrong.

For myself my anchor or foundation is the scriptures, I just have a different perspective on the scriptures then most here do. Scientists always seem to be getting things wrong, thus they say science is self correcting. However imo all that is saying is scientists are always fluctuating and never coming to the knowledge of the truth. If they are so sure in all that they proclaim why is there always those from their same field of study who disagrees with them?

Old 08-28-2022, 02:15 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,383,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Now wait just a min, we flat earthers arent connected with the young earth people. We are about to send our own rocket up.
lol

Old 08-28-2022, 02:23 PM

88 posts, read 33,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Now wait just a min, we flat earthers arent connected with the young earth people. We are about to send our own rocket up.
Will it go into a rectangular orbit?

Old 08-28-2022, 05:04 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,958,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonked View Post
On the evangelical radio station that I sometimes listen to when I work out in the garage, I was surprised to hear one of the hosts that I regard as at least semi-rational launch into a defense of a young earth.
His point was that Adam and Eve were created as fully formed adults.
If you'd asked Adam on the day he was created how old he was and he'd said one day, you would've said "Gee, you look like you're 35 or 40!" Similarly, god created a fully formed earth.
I can't remember what this theory is called, but it's basically the idea that when you read a novel all the characters and settings are fully formed and you know nothing about their histories before chapter one.
I admire the creativity, but it's beyond stupid.
No one really and truly believes the earth is 7000 years old.
It's the ultimate example of what I said about organized religion in general on a thread I just started: posing, posturing and pretending.
There is No Scripture in Genesis that says God formed the Earth fully formed.
I wonder where anyone would get the idea that Earth is 7,000 years old _______________
There are only six (6) creative days mentioned in Genesis.
There is Nothing to say how long each creative day was, or even if each creative day was the same or of differing lengths of time.
Plus, ALL of the 6 (not 7) creative days are summed up by the single word ' day ' at Genesis 2:4.
No one says all of the 6 creative days took place in one (1) day.

Yes, at the end (not sooner) of the 6th creative day we find Adam and Eve formed as adults.
That does Not make the 6th creative day as taking place in one 24-hour day.

Isaiah 40:26; Psalm 104:30 is in harmony with the Big Bang.
God supplied the abundantly needed dynamic energy ( power/strength) to create the material realm of existence.
Because of the accuracy of microwaves CMBR ( cosmic microwave background radiation ) it is thus known Earth is billions of years old, and the young earth theory is wrong.
Besides, for God to make a young earth look old would make God a deceiver, a liar which He is not- Titus 1:2

Old 08-28-2022, 07:23 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
What got me was that this pastor, Robert Dean of West Houston Bible Church passed misinformation along to his congregation thus misinforming them when he smugly denounced the big bang and used click bait information from some article or website which agreed with his own opinion that there was no big bang.

Here are the facts concerning the issue.

Did James Webb Prove Big Bang Theory Wrong? Here Are The Facts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DOCWyyhdI

Old 08-28-2022, 07:39 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,434,069 times
I am a very big fan of David Kippings of CoolWorlds, I have listened to everything he has done about 5 times, I like hearing and watching him talk, he's like the guy I would choose to be if you could choose.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:53 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,163,137 times
The age of the earth is not given in the Bible. If God thought it important presumably he would have posted it.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:58 AM

923 posts, read 237,898 times
People cannot fathom that all things are possible with God. Even a young earth a billion years old. Don't let carnal minds molest the scriptures and feed you their garbage. Start looking outside of the box.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:59 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1689dave View Post
People cannot fathom that all things are possible with God. Even a young earth a billion years old. Don't let carnal minds molest the scriptures and feed you their garbage. Start looking outside of the box.
The earth is not young. Radiometric dating places the age of the earth at 4.54 +/- 0.05 billion years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity